Old 12-24-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default Stormy Day=Awesome Shots

So, today I was un-godly bored. Since I saw sun streaming in through the window, I figured I would go try and chase the Argonne Local, which is a local job that runs up the BNSF's Argonne Spur on weekdays and sometimes Saturdays. Luckily, I checked the weather and saw that is was supposed to storm. I grabbed my rain suit. This would prove to be one of the day's smartest choices.

I decided to start at the end of the line and work my way up, since I had no idea where it was. As I was doing this, it began raining and I'm not talking some little drizzle. It was pouring. Then, to top it off, it began hailing. Finally, I found my prey, at the beginning of the line no less. As I pulled up, the hail had subsided but the pouring rain continued.

Then, the clouds, ever so slowly began to clear up. This resulted in some of the coolest pictures I have taken to date (well, IMHO of course). First I got this awesome one of BNSF 2305, a GP38, under crespecular rays, silhouetted against a lake reflecting those same rays.

Then the train began switching out the industry. By now, the sun was pretty much out full swing. I nabbed this shot after it had shoved a cut of box cars into the siding, and had coupled onto the rest of itís train. The next shot is one of my favorites, as it pulled away after coupling onto the cut of cars.

**I apologize for some of the pics not working, I'm will try to get them working but I'm frankly tired of screwing with the code after about 40 minutes. Frankly I was glad just to get two of them working.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
CG_F45

Cool shots Mike! The storm shots are really amazing! When & where does that job run?

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
Slopes09

The train, after pulling up some, uncoupled from the rest of the train, pulled forward, then backed(even though it was technically going forward) down the siding to pick up a box car. Iím particularily fond of the B&W one. Also, take a look at BNSF 4230, as itís a rather interesting unit. Itís ex-ATSF, has an ATSF Yellow A/C unit, is painted in H1, and a green door off of what could only have been a C30-7.

Image © Mike W.
PhotoID: 169182
Photograph © Mike W.

Finally, I moved to the other side of the tracks. It was now starting to cloud over again. After I took the first shot, the train began to move. I quickly shot a picture of the graffiti on the side of the B23-7, as itís rather graffitied up. Finally, the Argonne Local still has its caboose, trustly old 999730. It is officially my new mission to track this caboose to the grave, for no reason in particular.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:45 AM   #4
Slopes09

Last pic of the caboose.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:52 AM   #5
Slopes09

Thanks!

The Argonne branch runs from the transcon at Argonne(just east of Lemont) into Woodridge and Romeoville. It first climbs up a 1.5% grade through beautiful Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve through a series of cut backs and such. It then heads into a series of industrial parks after crossing Lemont Road. It runs on weekdays and sometimes Saturdays.

All the industries load either box cars or covered hoppers, with the box car industries appearing to require the most service. It appears to be common for the Argonne Switcher to be box car only, and usually with only ATSF/BNSF cars, and a caboose to boot. If you didn't know better, you'd think you were in a different era only with different equipment.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

Nice report and shots Mike.I like the last B&W pic of the caboose alot.Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote