Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Question Who are your 3 favorite RP photographers???

Most of us have our 3 favorite photos from others in our profiles, but I'm just curious who everyone's 3 favorite RP contributers are?

#1 Andrew Blaszczyk For some reason, 95% of the time, I can tell a photo is Andrew's before I look to see who the photographer is.

#2 Mitch Goldman The King Of Motion. With all of his panning (and pacing), he has a lot of gold in his vault.

I have two #3s

#3A is everyone else on Railpictures. If it relates to railroading, and its on RP, it's a good shot. After all, this is RP.net.

#3B is anybody that contributes vintage shots, or can fool us with current vintage looking shots.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Well I really like WalterS his photo's are great some of the best ever HA HA! It is hard to narrow it down when you've got great photographer's such as Michael Allen, John West, Mitch and Andrew, you cant pick just three. Maybe thirty or forty
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
Mgoldman

: ) Blushing...

That's great - Andrew has a really nice portfollio on RP, very creative and skillful. I've been looking for a way to eliminate Andrew and that would then make me #1, right?

With that said, and taking all things into consideration, I'd have to say my absolute favorite photographer on RP is Kevin (AKA EMTRailfan). ; )

With so many great photograhpers I do not think I could narrow the list to 3 with so many different styles to each it would be too difficult. Let's say if the comments are racking up on your images, you are probably pretty high on my list photographically.

Thanks Kevin!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
Joe the Photog

No possible way I could name just three. But there are a few that I look for time and again including but not limited to, Wade Massie. His photographs are the sole reason I want to visit both Pittsburgh and Wheeling and Lake Erie territory. I enjoy seeing George Hamlin's old stuff, esp. the late Seaboard/early CSX stuff he posts.

I enjoy MJ Scanlon's Memphis-area photos because I want to go back..... but his shots are the only way I can do that right now.

I envy some of Casey Thomason's work, especially the current shot on the front page of theNS and KCS F units. But the stuff I look from him are usually of the Georgia Southwestern.

Anybody who uploads great shots of the #40 up in New Hope gets mage dittoes from me and that includes the aforementioned Andrew (2) and Mitch G.

Johnathan Guy is someone who I used to keep track of on this site. He shoots what I would shoot if I lived where he does. I see his last post was last December. Must remember to track down his personal web site.

Steve Schmollinger. Holy cow. Enough said.

Josepch C. Hinson does well with little to work wth scenery-wise in the Carolinas. Surprised I don't run into him more often down here.

Ron Flanary is another one who, like Steve Schmollinger, needs no introduction. I love Flanary's old school stuff. Same with Martin O'Tolle. Some of these guys were out there shooting the shutters off their cameras when others on this board were still playing with their Lionels. Their stuff measures up to today's standards and in most cases surpasses them.

I enjoyed Robert Palmer's work with the Power Station as well as his photos here.

I'll stop with Richard Hart, who shoots mostly NS and makes them look good.

See. Can't name just three. And I left a lot ut.

Joe
Old 11-14-2007, 02:21 AM   #5
CG_F45

Smile

This is certainly a tough question...no way I could narrow it down to three...but a few great RP photogs that come to mind include...

Mitch Goldman...as EMTRailfan said, Mitch is the king of motion, and is an all around great photog...and he brings us the STEAM!

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)... great images, and creativity galore!

John West... excelent photographs from the past and present, with tons of diversity.

John Rice... I love his images from Canada.

David Tuttle... He creates terrific, interesting, and unique photographs that I enjoy looking at.

Jean-Marc Frybourg... Incredible images...great coverage of the Pacific Northwest, and the rail world speed record...

And, that Chris Groeling guy is okay, I gues...

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:33 AM   #6
NSFan14

Its kinda hard to just say 3

J.E. Landrum-Cause he has some neat images and he is a close friend
Andrew Blaszczyk(2)-Cause he is a great photographer
Joe Williams-One of my friends and a great photographer.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:42 AM   #7
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

::POP!!!!!:: (the sound of my swelling head exploding)

Technically, I can't really take part in this thread do to obvious RP-related reasons, but I have to say that, that Kevin A. is definitely high on my list.

Seriously, I am truely humbled by all the kind words, and I have to admit that I am blushing as well. I cannot narrow my favorites down as there are WAY to many that I not only enjoy viewing the photos of but also find inspiration from. As Mitch said, if the comments are there than you are on the list, and even if they aren't I will eventually get to it when I feel the need to analyze a particular shot again.

Thank you again for the very, very kind words!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
Crusader

Can't name just three, but several photogs consistently impress me...
Andrew Blaszczyk, Mitch Goldman, Dale Woodland, Rob Palmer, Lee King, Dave Carney, Dave Kerr. Out west, Ross Fotheringham's snow shots are incredible. And a few young guns like Christian Signorelli, Austin MacDougall, and Nick Anshant who cover Eastern PA, and Ron Tilley in Jersey.

Last edited by Crusader; 11-14-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
JimThias

My favorite three include anyone who is lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to get that great shot. Living in Michigan, photo ops are limited, and since I love landscape photography so much, I really dig photos from "out west." One particular photographer who I envy for his opportunities to get shots where he does is Jean-Marc Frybourg. I think I need to get the hell out of Michigan.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
One particular photographer who I envy for his opportunities to get shots where he does is Jean-Marc Frybourg. I think I need to get the hell out of Michigan.
Unless he's moved since I met him years ago, Jean-Marc lives in the La Defense area of Paris, and his shots were taken on a holiday. (His apartment just happened to be about two blocks from our offices - I'd walk by it every day.) He is a very talented photographer - he's done some amazing synchronized flash work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoldman
I've been looking for a way to eliminate Andrew and that would then make me #1, right?
I'll be keeping an eye on you in February. If Andrew "falls in front of the train," I'm calling the cops.

Last edited by John Craft; 11-14-2007 at 01:09 PM.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
Unless he's moved since I met him years ago, Jean-Marc lives in the La Defense area of Paris, and his shots were taken on a holiday. (His apartment just happened to be about two blocks from our offices - I'd walk by it every day.) He is a very talented photographer - he's done some amazing synchronized flash work.
He must take some long vacations...he's got a TON of shots from the western U.S.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

I am surprised by the response this is getting. I agree with all of you. It was very hard to come up with my 2+. If I would have listed everyone that makes me stop and really look at a shot, I like most of you, would have taken a whole page for my post alone. Everyone that has been listed by others is also in my upper tier of favorites. I forgot to mention Brooke Baxter too. The talent and experience that she has at such a young age totaly amazes me. RP is the only site that I upload to with the exception of various local forums/groups that I belong to. I look at that other rrpicture... site. There are some excellent shots there too (and then a few that make you scratch your head), but RP.net is where the quality is. Now if I can only improve my quality more
Old 11-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
He must take some long vacations...he's got a TON of shots from the western U.S.
He's European - he gets 5-6 weeks of annual holiday.

Just glancing at the dates, his Western US stuff was taken in two trips - one in 2005, and a 3-week interval this year.

I really like this one:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.ph...90536&nseq=719

Several years ago we had dinner together in Paris, and he showed me a series of photos very similar to this one, but of electrics. It was a parade of "ski extras" returning to Paris from the Alps, many powered by older motors. He had framed the station clock into the photo, and the trains were running on 2-minute intervals - I figure his lights had just enough time to recharge before the next train passed.

Last edited by John Craft; 11-14-2007 at 02:53 PM.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

It's too difficult for me to pick just 3 people who's work I enjoy. I'm not even sure I could narrow it down to less than 10 people if I had to.

Gary Knapp, Mitch Goldman, Michael Allen, Ray Lewis, Jim Johnston, Alex Lang, Dave Kerr, Junior Russell, Tony Kitchen, Bill Wellman, Brian Plant, Joe Osciak, Joe Hance, and the list goes on.

Some of them I enjoy simply for their photos they've taken of railroading in general, others I enjoy because of their artistic appeal.

Yeah, this one's a hard assignment. . . .

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #15
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I don't browse as much as I should, but a couple photographers never disappoint, Gary Knapp and John Rice
And that Chris Groeling guy ain't too shabby either
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:35 AM   #16
CG_F45

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
And that Chris Groeling guy ain't too shabby either
Thank you, sir!

Matt Hicks takes some good pictures too

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #17
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I would have to say Michael James, although he needs to get out of the electrified territory so he can get more than three-quarter wedge shots.

Seriously though ... (Australian Photographers)
- Chris Walters has taken some great shots all over Australia!
- Brooke and Lee Baxter also have some great shots from the NSW Southern Highlands.
- Rod Williams has some amazing shots from Japan!

(Other Photographers)
- Steve Schmollinger
- Jean-Marc Frybourg
- Mitch Goldman

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:12 AM   #18
WisconsinCentral

Well, I have quite a few, so heres a handful.

Donald Haskel, so many timeless images from the 50s and 60s, always fun to look at.
Don Kalkman, love his stuff, especially the stuff from the 90s. He has a lot of great WC shots.
Ray Peacock, another photographer I look for when searching for 90s and early 2000 shots.
Ryan Parent, never ceases to make me say wow, a great photographer indeed.
Dave Schauer, a great photographer who has documented the DMIR to its fullest, some great photos in his collection.
Craig Williams alongside with Richard S Marsh provide some awesome shots from around Iowa/Minnesota/and Illinois areas, always getting creative with trackside objects.

Alec
Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #19
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

I must suck, so I'll vote for Me, Myself & I!
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 AM   #20
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrailfan
I must suck, so I'll vote for Me, Myself & I!
Far from it Dave - just tough competition. That's why I haven't posted my three, can't decide.

If it makes you feel any better - I can spot your pics in the line up and usually view them. Oh, does that make you one of my favourites?
Sorry, that is "favorites" to you. Happy Thanksgiving

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 AM   #21
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Thanks for the sympathy vote! LOL I get my kicks seeing the view counts, occasional photo of the day or week. But I'll never get a screeners choice since I don't shoot artsy fartsy shots. I like the shots of trains as the focal point.

Picking my top 3 here, impossible! But I do honor those that always comment on my photos even if I don't on theirs, time seems limited for me at times.
See my train videos at:
Old 11-21-2007, 01:12 AM   #22
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrailfan
Thanks for the sympathy vote! LOL I get my kicks seeing the view counts, occasional photo of the day or week. But I'll never get a screeners choice since I don't shoot artsy fartsy shots. I like the shots of trains as the focal point.
This is artsy fartsy?

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 204220
Photograph © Jim Thias

Old 11-21-2007, 01:16 AM   #23
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Borderline Jim. I more so mean the shots where the focus of the photo per se is not the train or a staged shot or something beyond the norm for shooting.

Ah nevermind, I'll dig a hole here sooner or later, ok sooner!
See my train videos at:
Old 11-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #24
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

One of the names that needs to get mentioned somewhere in this thread is Alan John Crotty.

Image © Alan-Crotty
PhotoID: 211264
Photograph © Alan-Crotty

Image © Alan-Crotty
PhotoID: 211263
Photograph © Alan-Crotty

Image © Alan-Crotty
PhotoID: 198229
Photograph © Alan-Crotty

Image © Alan John Crotty
PhotoID: 181664
Photograph © Alan John Crotty

Image © Alan John Crotty
PhotoID: 150912
Photograph © Alan John Crotty

I'm having way too much fun reviewing his posts so I'd better stop here. But he is a master of lighting and of post processing.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #25
Ween

Quote:
But I'll never get a screeners choice since I don't shoot artsy fartsy shots.
Sounds like an excuse to me...