Old 11-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
Googanelli

Default Reject, Digitally Manipulated

I decided to have some fun with photoshop. OK I know, typically a no no. The only thing I did was take out the saturation and then add it back to the subject. This is a very common and popular trick that other formats of photography use and am curious as to why railpics might not dig it. I for one love to see the more artistic shots of trains on here. Let me know what you think!

-Joe

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=562886593
Googanelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

No offense, but I've seen better. I think the picture just does not yield itself to this type of Photoshop. Don't get me wrong. I like it when it's done well. I think the subject that gets the color needs to be bigger than basically just a little dot on the picture. I'd like to do it to some of my shots with colorful engines, either the Pickens or L&C end cabs. Keep the train in color but make everything else b&w.

'Course, I would know better than try to load it onto RP which clearly has a rule against this type of manip.

Joe
Old 11-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googanelli
I decided to have some fun with photoshop. OK I know, typically a no no. The only thing I did was take out the saturation and then add it back to the subject. This is a very common and popular trick that other formats of photography use and am curious as to why railpics might not dig it. I for one love to see the more artistic shots of trains on here. Let me know what you think!
Agree with Joe, not a good picture for this technique. Given the engine is mostly black, the selective color draws the focus to the passenger car first, which disrupts the composition. Also, the color on the barn upper left is really weird.

As far as RP goes, it just isn't happening, those are their rules. Would I want them in - well, I might want some in, but the screening would be way subjective. And selective color is a "trick" all too often and not really a good enhancement. Clever rather than really interesting. So in my view often not artistic at all, as that to me implies creative.

As far as the more general question of more artistic (in the sense of not fully representational; of course good representational shots with interesting light and composition are artistic and are accepted here), the biggest objection I would have is that RP at some point becomes too much, tries to be too many things to too many people. The mixing of wedgies with super-artsy stuff at some point becomes unsatisfying to both camps, too hard to find what one wants to see, especially for the minority artsy stuff.

I would love to see an RP-like website devoted to the
super-artsy stuff. Even at RP it can be a slog to go through and find the really interesting representational art stuff.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-16-2007 at 02:41 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Googanelli

I can absolutely see your point about the shot not being the right subject but conceptually interesting. What gives me pause is that this website being about "railpictures" rarely allows shots that are not the standard wedgie or tele shots in. Not that they don't, but it seems that some aren't interested in pushing the rail photography envelope. We do sometimes see shots like abandoned rail, or old stations, or things that are involved around the trains, but rarely do these shots get in. I find that I tend to like the personality shots of railroaders doing their job along with things that make you think out of the box. I posted this shot as a forethought into what we like as rail photogs. I am new to this. I have been around trains as long as I can remember and am around them daily and seeing just standard trains gets long winded at times as I work for the railroad. I love seeing different perspectives on what the norm is. I wish there were more of a forum to post these shots as they are artistic. Anyone have some shots they might want to share that do press the limits?

Thanks for your input fellas. This really does help people learn about railroad photography and to see what people are interested in. I like to put different things out there to see what people think.

-Joe
Old 11-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googanelli
I can absolutely see your point about the shot not being the right subject but conceptually interesting. What gives me pause is that this website being about "railpictures" rarely allows shots that are not the standard wedgie or tele shots in. Not that they don't, but it seems that some aren't interested in pushing the rail photography envelope.
How do you know what doesn't get in, besides your own effort? Now, given that, it is certainly true that RP does not allow digital manipulation, and that cuts off a category of photography. But there are lots of shots here beyond standard wedge and teles.

Quote:
We do sometimes see shots like abandoned rail, or old stations, or things that are involved around the trains, but rarely do these shots get in.
How do you know how often they get in? Do you know how often they are shot and submitted?

A lot of stuff gets buried, to some extent, because of the dominant wave of wedgies, because that is what most people are able to shoot or comfortable shooting or simply want to shoot.

Quote:
I find that I tend to like the personality shots of railroaders doing their job along with things that make you think out of the box.
Personality/work shots do get in. I have never heard that they are hard to get in.

Quote:
I posted this shot as a forethought into what we like as rail photogs. I am new to this. I have been around trains as long as I can remember and am around them daily and seeing just standard trains gets long winded at times as I work for the railroad. I love seeing different perspectives on what the norm is. I wish there were more of a forum to post these shots as they are artistic. Anyone have some shots they might want to share that do press the limits?
As I said before, I would like to see a place for shots that are less representational than RP fare. I don't have any to offer, myself, but I would like to see them, somewhere. I suspect, however, that those people who shoot such images in general do not limit themselves to train subjects, so I suspect such shots would be intermixed with non-RR shots on general photography websites that focus on the "artsy" stuff.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-16-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I suspect, however, that those people who shoot such images in general do not limit themselves to train subjects, so I suspect such shots would be intermixed with non-RR shots on general photography websites that focus on the "artsy" stuff.
I love to see non-railfans shoot railroad photography. Those of us who do this day in and day out sometimes miss things because we're seeing the whole picture, so to speak. Non-railfans who are photographers first can have an interesting take on things and make me se things differently. I'll have to dig up some links to give some examples.

Joe
Old 11-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Yeah, selective colouring doesn't go over well here...this is one I got rejected for the same reason. I personally think it's good, but you know what photographers think of their own work!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/3...af45eb.jpg?v=0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I love to see non-railfans shoot railroad photography. Those of us who do this day in and day out sometimes miss things because we're seeing the whole picture, so to speak. Non-railfans who are photographers first can have an interesting take on things and make me se things differently. I'll have to dig up some links to give some examples.

Joe
I saw a picture taken by a girl who is the best photographer I know in real life, and I found something very interesting....it was nearly identical to one I had taken a few months earlier.
Go figure!
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
Joey Bowman

What if the selective coloring is done in Camera? I used to have a P&S that would do some selective coloring, pretty neat results!

Its been stated that a shot with a lens Baby can be accepted, but ironically, if the same was done in PS it would be rejected as a "digital manipulation".
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman
What if the selective coloring is done in Camera? I used to have a P&S that would do some selective coloring, pretty neat results!
What P&S did that? And how would it pick the colors? I can't imagine the image quality was very good.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #10
Googanelli

Interesting responses. I have to say that I really am enjoying some feedback.

I don't know for sure how many shots of a peticular type are submitted, accepted, rejected, etc, but I do have an idea of what has been accepted in the recent past by parusing the photos on my own. I would have to say that JRMDC is right in that most are comfortable with the standard shots. I only bring this up again, not to be bashing what is here. I am also not questioning the moderators by any means. I am just trying to get a better understanding of rail photography, art,trains, and how these relate. I have gotten such great responses through my few post that you guys have driven me to drag my camera to work quite a bit lately. I am wanting to see what what I can learn and do so that I can work back to the middle. I will be looking around trying to find a few of the Out of the box shots on here to post later.

Thanks again guys!

-Joe
Old 11-17-2007, 12:37 AM   #11
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
What P&S did that? And how would it pick the colors? I can't imagine the image quality was very good.

Canon A610, If the camera still worked I would use it again to post a few photos. If my memory is correct it would pick either Red, Green or Blue colors and show only those and the varius shades, I got some pretty interesting results one day with some red flowers covered in water drops.

I could be wrong about the exact colors, its been almost 2 years since ive used it!
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:17 AM   #12
NSFan14

Joe,

Your a much better photographer then me. But one of the first things I noticed that was distracting was its backlit. I like the photo tho.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:36 AM   #13
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

A number of P&S cameras do that, suprisingly. It seems to be quite popular among high school girls!
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:21 AM   #14
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan

3/4 black and white, 1/4 colored. Not my thing... Not rp's either. Either do it all in b&w or all in color. Try submitting the colored version.
Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #15
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

A mate of mine is a bus enthusiast (or bunzel) and uses this technique quite well. I think it is well suited to buses - perhaps it could be applied to light engines as they're similar in length and can sit in the centre of the frame.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
A mate of mine is a bus enthusiast (or bunzel)...
Now I've heard it all. So he's a bunzel and we're gunzels?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #17
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Now I've heard it all. So he's a bunzel and we're gunzels?
You got it, brother! I'm not a bunzel myself, but I've been told there's foamer bunzels as well.

I'll have to ask my mate how he does this in Photoshop.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #18
JRMDC

Is this the ultimate gunzel body of work?
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=6109

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #19
Crusader

Interesting discussion...

I've been experimenting with Photoshop, but given the "digitally manipulated" reject looming, haven't submitted here. Afterall, there are other places for that.

But to clarify, RP.net allows for alot of magical effects, provided that they're created by the camera and not in post-production (hence the very precise phrasing of 'digitally' manipulated). I'm thinking of a recent photo that used the camera's zoom to pan back with the shutter open as a locomotive approached. The effect is amazing, and far from a wedgie. Tho I admit, the wedgie is not an endangered species around here.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
You got it, brother! I'm not a bunzel myself, but I've been told there's foamer bunzels as well.

I'll have to ask my mate how he does this in Photoshop.
Doing selective color in Photoshop is VERY easy by the way of using layer masks. If you haven't tried it before, the first time you figure it out, you'll laugh about how easy it is.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 AM   #21
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I'll give it a go later on tonight and let you know how I got on.