Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
NSFan14

Default Image sizes

What image sizes should i use for my camera and still be able to put it on RP.net? My choices are 2272x1704,2048x1536,1600x1200,1280x960 and 640x480
Old 09-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
PLEzero

Why are you only limited to those choices? I would suggest taking photos at the highest quality possible and resizing them to a smaller size in Photoshop.

The minimum size for submission is 800x600.
Recommended size is 1024x.
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero
Why are you only limited to those choices? I would suggest taking photos at the highest quality possible and resizing them to a smaller size in Photoshop.

The minimum size for submission is 800x600.
Recommended size is 1024x.
Ok thanks PLEzero
Old 09-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

PLEZero is right, take pics at full quality. Some day you may want to make an enlargement and regret not taking the maximum quality your camera can support. HOWEVER, do this only do it if your hard drive space permits. I had to buy a new 250GB HDD 2 weeks ago becaues the train pics were beginning to fill things up.

For example, I take my pics at 7.1MP (super fine, 3072x2248?, about 4~5mb a piece) and then sharpen and resize to 1000x750 in Photoshop, saving both the original as well as the new edited image.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

It would definitely be rare to take a photo with whatever camera one uses and upload it to RP.net and have it get accepted. Cropping, sharpening, contrast, color, etc. play in to the mix if you want stuff accepted and generally speaking, for your own sake, it's nice to do some editing even if it is only minor.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
a231pacific

Alex,

Take your photo at the highest setting your camera allows.

If you don't have photo editing software, you can download free programs which will get you started. You will generally need to crop your image to eliminate stuff that you didn't pay attentioin to when you were taking the photo (like wires and poles and stuff sticking into the edge of the frame) to get it looking its best. Then you need to sharpen it and often you will need to fix the color and levels as well.

Uploading shots out of your camera is just like looking at snap shots processed at the local drug store back in film days. It may be great for showing to your friends, but it won't make it on a serious level. To meet RP's quality standards generally requires work!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
PLEZero is right, take pics at full quality. Some day you may want to make an enlargement and regret not taking the maximum quality your camera can support. HOWEVER, do this only do it if your hard drive space permits. I had to buy a new 250GB HDD 2 weeks ago becaues the train pics were beginning to fill things up.

For example, I take my pics at 7.1MP (super fine, 3072x2248?, about 4~5mb a piece) and then sharpen and resize to 1000x750 in Photoshop, saving both the original as well as the new edited image.
See thats the problem i dont have a editing program where i can make the pic. smaller the only thing i can do is crop it until i get to that size
Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
NSFan14

Thank you John,Mike and Micheal for your help and time
Old 09-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #9
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

Your camera didn't come with photo editing software? Strange.
You can download Irfanview for free, it's small and works fantastic.

www.irfanview.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
See thats the problem i dont have a editing program where i can make the pic. smaller the only thing i can do is crop it until i get to that size

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
Your camera didn't come with photo editing software? Strange. You can download Irfanview for free, it's small and works fantastic.
Or you can download Picasa2 I have used Picasa and it is probably one of the best freeware editors IMO.

Good luck.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:10 PM   #11
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero
Whenever I have tried that, I go down the road to failure. The camera doesn't support sizes which are 2048X1536, so the images are either too huge or too small. And when I can't crop them without cutting off the trains, the images are shot (from RP.net).

I recommend getting as close to 1024X768 as you can.

--Louis Becker
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:31 PM   #12
Joe the Photog

NSFan;

Keep in mind that only one person suggested somethng other than shooting at the highest possible size and resolution. I promise you that 99.99 percent of us shoot this way and then size donw to somethng more manageable. My camera shoots at 3072X2048. Depenind on what I feel the shot needs, I then resize it down to 800x600, 900X600 or 1024X768.

Joe
Old 09-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #13
a231pacific

Louis Becker said
Quote:
Whenever I have tried that, I go down the road to failure. The camera doesn't support sizes which are 2048X1536, so the images are either too huge or too small. And when I can't crop them without cutting off the trains, the images are shot (from RP.net).
Louis, if your camera shoots 2048 X 1536 that is the same ratio as 800 X 600 which is an RP supported image size. It's also the same ratio as 1024 X 768 which is also an RP supported image size. If you are cropping to get down to that size, you are going about it the wrong way. You should be resizing. That's not the same thing as cropping. What image editing software are you using? In Photo shop you click on image size and a drop down box appears where you can type in the pixel size you want the image to be. It then reduces the image to that size, without cropping. You don't lose any of your picture that way. Use cropping only to improve the composition.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
Louis Becker said

Louis, if your camera shoots 2048 X 1536 that is the same ratio as 800 X 600 which is an RP supported image size. It's also the same ratio as 1024 X 768 which is also an RP supported image size. If you are cropping to get down to that size, you are going about it the wrong way. You should be resizing. That's not the same thing as cropping. What image editing software are you using? In Photo shop you click on image size and a drop down box appears where you can type in the pixel size you want the image to be. It then reduces the image to that size, without cropping. You don't lose any of your picture that way. Use cropping only to improve the composition.

Michael Allen
^^^What he said.

Shoot to the largest you can...it can always be scaled down, but you can never size a smaller photo up...
Old 09-29-2006, 01:21 AM   #15
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
^^^What he said.

Shoot to the largest you can...it can always be scaled down, but you can never size a smaller photo up...
Exactly, why shoot smaller? This allows for little to no room for cropping.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:12 AM   #16
NSFan14

Ok thank you all for all of your time and help.But i cant take pictures until i get a new camera mine is broke.