Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation So Grainy Images are Allowed Now?

Remember the infamous "grainy" rejection?

Image © Steve Schmollinger
PhotoID: 400657
Photograph © Steve Schmollinger

Well I for one am glad that RP is expanding it's horizons by accepting images using grain in an artistic manner.

It is right?
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
JimThias

There was another one yesterday that was extremely noisy, but I'm not going to post the pic here because it's someone who posts here regularly.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

i guess they cut some slack on old photos. surprised that one had enough going for it to overcome the "rule."
Old 06-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
JRMDC

I don't see the artistic nature of the grain. I'm not complaining that the shot should not be on, just saying that I don't see Robert's point/interpretation. I don't see that particular form of grain adding to the shot, and I'm one who tends to notice and appreciate textures in images.

I do have a problem with the bokeh, which seems to have scanned with some sort of weird contrast that is unflattering.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

I actually have a question about Steve. Last week he posted a really bitter sounding rant against RP on his Facebook page. I don't know him. Was he being sarcastc to make a point?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Make No Mistake, I Like It.

Well I like it, and it is so grainy that I assume that it is purposeful, rather than just a bad image.

I have tried to put stuff like this up before all to no avail.

I just hope the screeners are starting to look outside the box because I have plenty of images and ideas that I would like to put up here.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Ron Flanary

It's a nice shot. Some of you guys apparently have no experience with film. Grain (or "noise" as it apparently is these days) is a reality of silver halide.

As many of you know, I'm a big believer in bending the "rules" of RP as far as possible. Otherwise, we're stuck in a dismal and boring world of photographic imitation. Monkey see, monkey do.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Holloran Grade
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
It's a nice shot. Some of you guys apparently have no experience with film. Grain (or "noise" as it apparently is these days) is a reality of silver halide.
Just for the record, I feel compelled to reply that "yes," I do have experience with film and that is perhaps why I like the grainy look in certain instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I actually have a question about Steve. Last week he posted a really bitter sounding rant against RP on his Facebook page. I don't know him. Was he being sarcastc to make a point?
So by posting this are you looking for an answer to your original question?

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 06-16-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
MagnumForce

He was completely serious, his issues with RP are no secret.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Complaining about grain is like complaining that Monet's paintings weren't crisp. Who fucking cares?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
MagnumForce

Grain was a fact of life before Digital.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Complaining about grain is like complaining that Monet's paintings weren't crisp. Who fucking cares?
Great answers!!
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
He was completely serious, his issues with RP are no secret.
Wow. He has 3200+ photos here, most of them great, a few of them "only" really good. And he has issues with RP?
Old 06-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #14
Indecline

I have a very difficult time getting my film shots on RP. I have to usually blur the heck out of the sky to get them on. At times, I really think the screeners have zero appreciation of how film scans on a high resolution scanner. So not real likely that I will waste too much of my time trying to post my slides.

DS
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #15
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecline View Post
I have a very difficult time getting my film shots on RP. I have to usually blur the heck out of the sky to get them on. At times, I really think the screeners have zero appreciation of how film scans on a high resolution scanner. So not real likely that I will waste too much of my time trying to post my slides.

DS
That's a real shame. There's probably some great stuff there. I shoot mostly slide film now b/c odds are in a few years I'll never be able to again. Might as well get it out of my system.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #16
JRMDC

Quote:
I find the screening irregularities on slide scans to exceed the range generally. I wonder sometimes if the screener assesses the person putting on the slides, if they know the name, and determines the strictness of screening. I haven't done many slides (don't have many to do!) but I have done enough, 25, and I regularly see stuff accepted that I had to struggle to deal with.

I always blur the heck out of the sky on a slide scan. Not because RP wants me to but because I think it looks waaaaay better that way.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #17
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
There was another one yesterday that was extremely noisy, but I'm not going to post the pic here because it's someone who posts here regularly.
GUILTY!

I'll go ahead and say that I may be the one? I realized after seeing a 'post' that the noise had hit the roof on my uploaded shot and didn't realize it. I do however plan on doing a re-edit on the shot once I get back into town.

Image © Ant Davis
PhotoID: 400628
Photograph © Ant Davis

My RP Photos

My Flickr Photos

My RRPA Photos

YouTube Videos

Last edited by AntD.; 06-17-2012 at 03:45 AM.
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #18
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:

DS
And that is too bad, because I believe it would be your slides that I would be most interesting in viewing.

I actually look at very few images other than as thumbnails.

I like the old stuff.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #19
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:

DS
That's very odd. I usually have no problem getting my slide scans on, while I have a difficult time getting my digital stuff on. Here are a couple of slide scans that I have reuploaded. The original ones were pretty bad, but still accepted. I still need to redo a lot of them.

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 255783
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 256480

I'd like to see more of your slides as I enjoy seeing them more.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
Indecline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
That's very odd. I usually have no problem getting my slide scans on, while I have a difficult time getting my digital stuff on. Here are a couple of slide scans that I have reuploaded. The original ones were pretty bad, but still accepted. I still need to redo a lot of them.

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 255783

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 256480

I'd like to see more of your slides as I enjoy seeing them more.

Chris Z
Chris, your slides look nice and crispy, though I am surprised they didn't nail you on the color of the BN shot. They don't like the fact that I shot Velvia from about 1993 on, too!

DS
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
JRMDC

Quote:
Chris, your slides look nice and crispy, though I am surprised they didn't nail you on the color of the BN shot. They don't like the fact that I shot Velvia from about 1993 on, too!
Hmm, I'm surprised! RP seems to generally like the extra saturation in Velvia. Or stated more precisely, I think RP likes the saturation gussied up in general, and I associate that with Velvia, especially the greens. What sorts of rejections do you get with scans from Velvia?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
JimThias

Quote:
And I have plenty of (non railroad) grainy photos from the earlier part of my life. And I hate every one of them because of the grain.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #23
MagnumForce

Do you want a cookie?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
That's very odd. I usually have no problem getting my slide scans on, while I have a difficult time getting my digital stuff on.
Chris Z
You must be posting your digital stuff at night and your slides in the morning... Try posting everything at the same time slot, lol.

I'm not a big fan of the linked shot - I don't see the grain as intentional art pushing boundaries, nor do I particularly like the saturation boost. However, I'm happy to see Steve is still willing and able to post a good sized number of his photos. As a screener, I might have let such a well admired and followed patron better elaborate and share his vision of his railroad photography. I'd make a personal bet that Steve figured the composition and perhaps subject trumped the noise.

So how do I wiggle out of an implied bias or carte blanche on inconsistent screening rules? Well, how about a "Get out of Rejection" card based on PC's or... better yet, maybe carte blanche to all contributors with "x" number of views per photograph after say 1 or 2 years time and a minimum of "x" images. Cool.

I now return you to your regular RP programing.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Here's what he said:
Quote:
I am sooooooooooooo tired of dealing with the folks at Railpictures, I could literally throw up! Some people see them as a boon to the genre of railroad photography. I don't. I see them as a threat to creativity and thinking outside the box. They implicitly tout themselves as experts, but are really just basing their photo picks on personal preference, plain and simple. They are NOT good for the RR photography genre, but in the long run will prove a detriment. Mark my words.
The comments after his post are the usual, "I hate RP" fare, but what I don't understand is if people hate RP so much, why do they still upload their photos here? Or even visit the site? Or even care what goes on here? Why? There are plenty of things in life I don't agree with, but I don't waste time keeping tabs on them...