Old 06-02-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
OCtrainguy

Default Color Rejection help

I have need some assistance concerning the colors within this rejected photo. A little background information first. This is a photo of Conrail Shared Assets local SA42 from May 21st taken in Port Reading, New Jersey. This is ex-CNJ trackage and, in this photo, the train is passing the remnants of a CNJ signal bridge. The engines are a pair of ex-EL SD45-2s both wearing "horse head" paint. The pollen is off the charts here in New Jersey, so the trees and plants are very green at this time.

Okay, the picture has been rejected for “Bad Color”, either not enough color depth or too much saturation. The photo is one I scanned, and I am still learning how to use Photoshop. The first rejection is one I used the Auto Color feature on: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=131828

The second rejection of this photo did not have the Auto Color feature used at all: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=131971

I am thinking I need to manually make some alterations to photo myself to the saturation. Would there be any other color enhancements that would need to be made? I appreciate the input.
OCtrainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
Guilford350

Go to Hue/Saturation and try Hue: 14, Saturation: -15. Select Yellows and put Hue: 10. I used the first photo.

Last edited by Guilford350; 06-02-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Guilford350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
Robby

What type of film and scanner are you using? Most lower grade scanners have a very hard time getting the color right when scanning kodachrome because of the dyes used in the film layers. Depending on the scanner and it's light source you can get either major blue or red color shifts. Higher end scanners usually have a kodachrome checkbox or option which autocorrects with some preset color curves. Trying to use other auto features, such as Nikon's ICE, scratch elimination, dust elimination, etc don't function well with kodachrome either and will give random results from color shifts to softening to total fubar. If this is not kodachrome film, try using the scanner's controls and preview function to get closer to a "correct" color. It's much easier to perform small color corrections vs major changes since whatever you do affects the entire photograph..there are exceptions for some advanced features.

Short of that, get into photoshop and play with the color adjust sliders or hue adjustments already mentioned. I would start with the color adjust and pull back the red in the shadow option.
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:56 AM   #4
OCtrainguy

Default Color Rejection help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilford350
Go to Hue/Saturation and try Hue: 14, Saturation: -15. Select Yellows and put Hue: 10. I used the first photo.
Thanks for the help. I did try your color recommendation, but it was rejected for Bad Contrast. I'll continue to tinker with the settings.

The scanner I am using is a HP Scanjet 5300C. I am scanning 35mm prints, not slides in this case. I just gotta find that happy medium.
OCtrainguy is offline   Reply With Quote