Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
gp9fl9

Default Permission to appeal rejections

I am a member of Railpictures.net with an Elite membership. You can look at my photos and see that I have a uploaded a number of good images. I am not able to repeal rejects due to a high number of appeals in the past.
How can I get permission to appeal rejections again?
Where are “the terms agreement” that I abused to receive this blocked status? Has anyone else had this happen to him or her? I would appreciate any help from any one.
Thank You
Donald Haskel
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I would email the Site Admins. I think anything offered here would be pure conjecture and speculation.

Where you appealing a lot of rejections?
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Ween

Here's what Chris Kilroy has said about it in the past:

Quote:
Chris Starnes and I are the only people who have the ability to remove the appeal capability from an account, because we're the only ones who screen appeals. Ever. I can count on one hand the number of times I've done this, andit's always been for two reasons:

1. Appealing every single reject, especially if the photos aren't even close to acceptable standards.

2. Having a generally crappy attitude, or being insulting, sarcastic, etc.
http://forums.railpictures.net/showp...44&postcount=9
Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
KevinM

Hi Donald,

Depending on how long ago this happened, you will probably want to send e-mail to Chris Kilroy and discuss the situation. As Ween pointed out, the site owners generally only pull the plug when they encounter a situation where somebody is appealing many or all of their rejected images. It makes a lot of extra workload for them and they sometimes get verbally abused.

If your situation happened recently, I'd give it a rest. If it was a while back, you might explain that you understand Admin's concerns and will be very judicious in your use of the appeal button in the future.

Generally, if one of mine is rejected for something I can adjust on, I attempt to fix it rather than appeal, as long as the fix that RP seems to be asking for won't leave the picture looking unacceptable to me. I understand that RP is someone else's site and they control the content...end of discussion. If they think I've oversaturated or undersharpened something, I try to make it the way they want to see it. On the other hand, I also realize that you get perhaps 10-15 seconds of the Screener's time and in that brief interval, they can overlook things or jump to conclusions. Those are the grey areas where an appeal might be an option. In those situations, I ask myself how important it is to me to have the image on RP and how strong do I think my case is. Unless I think that a second set of eyes will give me at least an 80% chance of reversing the rejection, I stick the photo in the "Personal Collection" file and move on. If I decide to appeal, I write a clear, concise, respectful note making my case (with no editorial opinions or cuss words ) and see what happens. In a clear majority of cases for which I've kept the records, Admin has decided in my favor.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Good luck Donald. I've admired your work on here, and I hope to see more of your gems!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
Mgoldman

Hey Don,

You could start uploading some really horrible shots that you wouldn't even consider appealing and that could throw the appeal average back in your favor.

I don't recommend that, however.

Some really great initially rejected images have been accepted on RP so it would be a shame if a few do not make it on to RP based now only on one set of eyes and tastes. I'd suggest a polite letter to Chris with some type of assurance that you'll do your best to avoid the type of issues that may have put the appeal ban into effect. One way to do that would be to pre-screen better yourself, or on the Forums first for those types of images that are borderline for RP and finally let us see any new rejects prior to appealing - I'm not sure if that helps get them on but might make you feel better.

Good luck - part of the reason I patronize RP is for images such as yours.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

Donald -

You know that you have few bigger fans than me... I can't tell you how much I look forward to your pics.

I would recommend letting it go for awhile... and when you do write to ask for that right back, let the pics that the reject go. I've had a lot of pics rejected (in fact, I'm surprised I'm not banned yet), but I don't appeal that much. Yes, I do appeal, when I just simply don't get it, but most of the time, I let it go and post it somewhere else.

The key is to not look at this site as your body of work, but simply one of the many places that you share it.

Charles
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp9fl9 View Post
I am a member of Railpictures.net with an Elite membership. You can look at my photos and see that I have a uploaded a number of good images. I am not able to repeal rejects due to a high number of appeals in the past.
How can I get permission to appeal rejections again?
Where are “the terms agreement” that I abused to receive this blocked status? Has anyone else had this happen to him or her? I would appreciate any help from any one.
Thank You
Donald Haskel
I lost my ability to appeal before I even had 1 image on the site. Now I have 86 photos and no appeal. I've asked them twice about it and never got a response back. They could have simply said "not yet" or "no" but they just left it and never responded. Now to me that shows a bad attitude.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrakdavis22 View Post
I lost my ability to appeal before I even had 1 image on the site. Now I have 86 photos and no appeal. I've asked them twice about it and never got a response back. They could have simply said "not yet" or "no" but they just left it and never responded. Now to me that shows a bad attitude.
I'm sure complaining about it in the open forums will work wonders with the admins in your case. They're probably running to unlock your appeal ability as I type!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm sure complaining about it in the open forums will work wonders with the admins in your case. They're probably running to unlock your appeal ability as I type!

Yeah... but they knew I was friends with Welch so I was doomed from the beginning.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrakdavis22 View Post
Yeah... but they knew I was friends with Welch so I was doomed from the beginning.

Very true!!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I would recommend letting it go for awhile... and when you do write to ask for that right back, let the pics that the reject go. I've had a lot of pics rejected (in fact, I'm surprised I'm not banned yet), but I don't appeal that much. Yes, I do appeal, when I just simply don't get it, but most of the time, I let it go and post it somewhere else.
This advice is sensible if Donald has just lost the privilege. I read his post as saying he lost it a while ago, so the requisite time has passed.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
Freericks
Met Fan

I think that was the reason he was given. Not sure that happened recently or in the past.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #14
IHapsias

I've maybe appealed 10 times before. yes - about 7 of those were stupid on my part, but the latter 3 were wisely used, and my latest photo was accepted via appeal.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:15 AM   #15
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

It is always nice to dream.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
gp9fl9

Hallonran Grade
It appears they did not rush to my appeals box and open it. I am a dreamer to be sure.

Ian Hapsias
I did appeal many of my up loads and in the end many of the appeals were overturned and went to four figures in views. If one of my uploads sheds new light on rail photography or teaches us something about our railroad heritage, I am adamant about getting it approved.

Mitch
I have uploaded many bombs for sure. I also recall being sarcastic as well. This comes from my ancestry that grew up in Maine and New Hampshire. The sceeners it appears have become very busy as this site becomes more popular. Now two photos per day is the upper limit for non-Elite members. When I started 10 was the upper limit.

Amtrakdavis22
I feel bad for you. I think I have uploaded more than 500 accepted since I lost my appeal rights. I even appealed to their sense of decency by naming George Hamlin, Charles Freericks and Mitch Goldman as acquaintances.

My major gripe here is that I was blocked without any notice or warning beforehand. I dropped back and punted like the New England Patriots, but I did not see this coming. I appealed most of my rejections because I felt they did not match the actual situation. If this is the way things must be I accept it.

Without RP.net and the screener's acceptance I would not have the 2,000,000 plus views of my pictures or the acquaintances that came as a result. So I have had a "lovers quarrel" with the screeners. But my life is better than if I had not attempted to upload anything. Bottom line is I am grateful for Railpictures.net and their acceptance of my images.

Loyd L.
You will see more I am sure.

Thank you to all whom responded to this post.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Hallonran Grade
It appears they did not rush to my appeals box and open it. I am a dreamer to be sure.
"Holloran[,]" Its "Holloran."

Quote:
Amtrakdavis22
I feel bad for you. I think I have uploaded more than 500 accepted since I lost my appeal rights. I even appealed to their sense of decency by naming George Hamlin, Charles Freericks and Mitch Goldman as acquaintances.
Well there is your fatal error for sure. Especially the last two.

Should have said Chase Gunnoe.

Quote:
My major gripe here is that I was blocked without any notice or warning beforehand.
Fair warning takes all the suspense and intrigue out of it.

It is like a lightning bolt that strikes in the light of day.

Further, the idea of a fair warning is an artifice of due process and there is no right to due process unless the government is doing the taking.

No governmental actor, no fair warning.

It's banishment to the desert or excommunication for the lot of you.

I have a sneaky suspicion that all of my appeals go to a "hold for two days box, then send the denied e-mail."

I wouldn't appeal anything except for I have been pretty successful in the past with them and most, if not all of my most popular images where all entered by appeal.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 01-17-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
We have discovered why your privileges were revoked... and it has nothing to do with George or Mitch.

There is likely no recovery from that gaffe... sort of like telling the maitre d you're a friend of Stalin.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
I also recall being sarcastic as well. This comes from my ancestry that grew up in Maine and New Hampshire.
Sarcasm is a genetic trait?

Quote:
Now two photos per day is the upper limit for non-Elite members. When I started 10 was the upper limit.
For who? I'm non-elite and still have 10.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
For who? I'm non-elite and still have 10.
I have 3 per day.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

I have 30.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Sarcasm is a genetic trait?
Let's see... my grandfather, my father, me, my brother, my kids... Yeah... I'd go with that.

But I sometimes wonder, is my son being sarcastic or sardonic?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #23
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

I had two uploads per day from the very start which was about six months ago.

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #24
troy12n
Banned

I had 1 upload/day for about 6 months, dont cry
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #25
crazytiger

For new members, as of like March '09 (a month before I joined, DANG!) they got 2 uploads a day. All old guys were grandfathered in.

PFL
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote