Old 03-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
alstom
Banned

Default Undersharpened?

What will RailPictures.NET come up with next? What the hell does "undersharpened" mean? I think the photos below were nice RP.NET quality. Especially the second one of the BNSF's. New deliveries in H3.

Here they are:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=220845
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=220848

It doesn't make sense! What does it take to get one on here? These, in my opinion, were perfect. What's the deal.

For the BNSF's, bad angle huh? And just what do they mean by that? I spent forever cropping these. Or is because they have to be chosey about it going the direction I'm facing?

Please reply!

Rich

alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Ween

Quote:
What the hell does "undersharpened" mean?
It means soft, too, just like the rejection reason states. Your first image is soft...borderline blurry. Not perfect; not RP.net-quality.

Quote:
Or is because they have to be chosey about it going the direction I'm facing?
Correct. They don't like 'going away' shots for the most part.

BTW:
"I'm 13 and love photographing trains. That's all, LOL."

Here's a chance to help...
Old 03-05-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
What will RailPictures.NET come up with next?
Yeah, they've never rejected a picture for this reason.

Quote:
What the hell does "undersharpened" mean?
It means the photo is a little fuzzy or soft. Yours is a good example of undersharpened. Take a look at it and tell me it isn't soft.

Quote:
It doesn't make sense! What does it take to get one on here? These, in my opinion, were perfect.
Take a look at 110,000 of the shots on here, that'll help you. Going away shots like this generally are not accepted.

Quote:
For the BNSF's, bad angle huh? And just what do they mean by that? I spent forever cropping these. Or is because they have to be chosey about it going the direction I'm facing?
Yep, they are going away, there isn't much else interesting about the shot.

Quote:
Please reply!
Will it help remove the chip from your shoulder?

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #4
alstom
Banned

Ween- What do you mean, "Here's the chance to help?" It doesn't go along with what you're saying.

Okay, the BNSFs at the end of the consist are a bit blurry, but I think railpictues.net is just too picky. And I don't understand why!!

Old 03-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
4kV

Quote:
Okay, the BNSFs at the end of the consist are a bit blurry, but I think railpictues.net is just too picky. And I don't understand why!!....................
Because they want higher end pictures on their site. It's quite easy to understand. If they are too picky, you can always upload elsewhere, or you can conform to their picky standards. This is not the only site on the internet.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
alstom
Banned

I know! I already have nearly 700 pictures on rrpicturearchives.net. The link to my homepage there is found in my profile.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
4kV

Quote:
I know! I already have nearly 700 pictures on rrpicturearchives.net. The link to my homepage there is found in my profile.

There you go, that's a great place to put them, too.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #8
Ween

Quote:
Ween- What do you mean, "Here's the chance to help?" It doesn't go along with what you're saying.
Typically, when one posts in the forums with attitude like you did (or with a chip on your shoulder like Pat pointed out), people tend not to want to help and dismiss such posts as bitching.

I was pointing out that you were 13, and for whoever replies to go easy. It's one thing when an adult comes in here with a similar post and attitude, it's something different when it's a kid.

As I was told just recently, "A little sugar goes a long way." As ghey as that sounds, what it means is being nice will yield better results than having an attitude. Barnstorming into the forums and blaming RP.net and their standards is not the way to make friends and get the help you're looking for.

That's why I posted what I posted...
Old 03-05-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
alstom
Banned

I know, I was a bit snappy. But I'm (to be honest), getting sick of railpictures.net's crap. I know there are other places, but I want to have photos here too.

It just makes me a little mad when I submit a couple fairly nice shots like these and see them in the "Rejected Photos" section minutes later.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
4kV

Quote:
I know, I was a bit snappy. But I'm (to be honest), getting sick of railpictures.net's crap. I know there are other places, but I want to have photos here too.

It just makes me a little mad when I submit a couple fairly nice shots like these and see them in the "Rejected Photos" section minutes later.

It's not their crap, though. That is what you are failing to see. They have a set of standards (which others might argue or disagree with,) and you are not achieving those standards. Try to use these rejections as learning tools. Accept the fact that even though you think these pictures are great, the people who run this site do not. Step outside yourself and take the criticism as constructive and you will get the hang of it. There is little reason to get mad about it.

My other question is why do you want your pictures here, as you stated?

Last edited by 4kV; 03-05-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:00 AM   #11
Ween

Quote:
But I'm (to be honest), getting sick of railpictures.net's crap.
That's not helping your cause any.

Quote:
I know there are other places, but I want to have photos here too.
Then you are going to have to meet their standards. You are going to have to change what you're doing because RP.net isn't going to change their standards for you. Complaining about it or getting upset isn't going to do anything but make you more mad. Focus that energy on your photography and improving yourself. You have to admit those two photos listed are not RP.net quality. Don't be defensive about it, accept it. Then ask yourself, "How can I make these better?" or "What can I do in the future to make similar shots better?"

It's up to you to get your stuff up to par, not RP.net...
Old 03-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #12
Ween

Geez, Pat, I think we share a brain...
Old 03-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Geez, Pat, I think we share a brain...
Dang, I think so, too, given those answers. You just answer in a nicer way.

Do you really want to admit something like that, though? If I were Einstein or Steven Hawking or someone of similar cranial capacity, that would be different. Mine leaks, has some knocks, and if I think too hard, you can see some smoke coming from my ears.

Last edited by 4kV; 03-05-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #14
Ween

Yeah, but you still worship the UP. I just can't have that in a brain-sharing relationship...
Old 03-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #15
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Yeah, but you still worship the UP. I just can't have that in a brain-sharing relationship...
What can I say? Maybe you can be changed. You know, this conversation could go downhill very quickly, especially with me involved. As long as everyone is clear we are sharing brains only, I'm fine with that.

Last edited by 4kV; 03-05-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:08 AM   #16
Ween

What, no Brokeback Railfanning? Okay, back on topic...
Old 03-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #17
busyEMT

Quote:
getting sick of railpictures.net's crap. ...................
Looks like he bought himself a one-way ticket to not having to put up with RP.net's crap any more.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #18
Frederick

The owner pays over $15,000 a year to keep the site up... you can't run a site for free. It's not like the screeners are obligated to accept photos.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #19
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Quote:
What will RailPictures.NET come up with next? What the hell does "undersharpened" mean? I think the photos below were nice RP.NET quality
Its really not that hard to understand. I guess being 13 and thinking you know everything about railroad photography would probably make it seem that way, though.

If you want to be taken seriously here by the crew and senior members, come back when you grow up a little bit and realize that maybe your photos aren't "perfect" and are willing to use the rejections to improve your material.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #20
Ween

^^^Well, there it is from the horse's mouth. Irritating the admin/screeners isn't the way to go. Take this thread and learn from it.

Being 13 can have its limits, but it also has its share of plusses. Adopting the right frame of mind and being willing to accept criticism, while not always the most pleasant thing to do, is better for you in the long run. Having a passion for a hobby like this at such a young age (heck, I was 27 when I took my first photo) is such a huge step up if you are willing to grow and learn. When you think your stuff is 'perfect,' you have already lost any potential you had...
Old 03-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #21
SP3722

Quote:

And the quality of the images on that site shows you what gets uploaded when there is no screening. 90% of the images there are crap and are not worth the download time.
SP3722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #22
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3722
And the quality of the images on that site shows you what gets uploaded when there is no screening. 90% of the images there are crap and are not worth the download time.
The railfan world is big enough for screened sites and un-screened sites. I've seen some rare equipment on cloudy days, or buried in a long lash...as have other photographers. Might not be magazine-worthy, and wouldn't pass muster here, but of value nonetheless. Wading thru a few dozen blurry Dash-9s on an un-screened site can yield quite a few gems. Besides, where else would we share from our "personal collections"?

Not defending the original poster's unfortunate attitude here, but no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Last edited by Crusader; 03-06-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #23
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Exclamation Hear ye...hear ye...

I've had a hard time coming to understand or accept rather some of RP's standards when I first get a photo rejected. After some time either getting it rejected over and over (sorry guys it just gets frustrating some days) I slowly started to understand that even though it is cloudy it IS possible to, in most cases, get the power being used or consist on a sunny day. Sometimes the camera acts up or you do not have settings right and the shot gets screwed up for lack of a better term. I've learned to move on and try again in the future.

Now you asked for replies so heres my advice.

Your first photo is clearly blurry beyond repair, maybe something happened while you took the photo or you lost quality during post processing, but the main point is it wasn't a rare sighting. You will be able to get plenty of photos of CSX GE's in the future.

Your second photo is a going away shot of common power, which should be the rejection reason instead of Bad Angle IMO. New BNSF power has been photographed leading trains, not by you YET, but they will be leading trains for years.

As was stated you are only 13, you have your whole life to become a better photograph and get your photos accepted. Trial and error on this site has gotten me to 400+ photos and it will do the same for you. I do not shoot FOR RP but I keep the standards in mind and I'm a hell of a lot better now than I was in 2003 (pre-RP). Take the BNSF "Swooshes" trailing even though there is almost no chance of it being accepted. In 20 years you will look back and say "I got them when they were brand new". HOPEFULLY they will be a dying breed by then and the chances of it being accepted here or a spin-off site will be increased. The "personal collection" does not mean no one will ever see the photo, it means keep it to yourself until it becomes rare or newsworthy or a little more relevant.

Keep shooting anything and everything that is important for YOU. Don't become bitter, learn from your rejections like we all have and you'll do fine in life. Best of luck to you in the future.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #24
alstom
Banned

I did shoot a BNSF Heritage Three leading a train. I made both black and white and color versions but the size of the image is too small.

Plus, some of my "cropped" photos are too grainy!

Rich

Last edited by alstom; 03-11-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #25
Ween

Quote:
Yes, I did photograph a BNSF H3 leading a train, but since 90% of my photos are crap, why bother?

You guys are treating me like freakin' trash!

"Being 13 and all, you must think you know everything about railroad photography."

I guess people on here don't have feelings for other people.

Oh and by the way, how would you fell if I called all of your photos crap?

Now you'll probably lecture me, call me a brat, say you'll except my insult, and say that I should get ran over by a train int he future because I'm a little pest with a worhtless life obviously!

Dang you guys are frustrating! And if you want to call me up and lecture me personally do so: 330-864-8409!

Rich
Rich,

You got alot of good advice in this thread, especially about being mature in your thoughts and actions in this hobby and how to act in the forums here. With this post, you chose to ignore all those people who invested their time by replying to try and help you.

If you want to play the victim and say it's 'them' and not me, that's your choice, but you are not helping yourself in the future with this type of attitude.

Please, re-read the advice you got. If it's still not sinking in, maybe this hobby (or anything that yields criticism) isn't for you...