Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
ShortlinesUSA

Default Another shortline disappears-- TMSL

In a recent STB filing, Reading & Northern has announced its intention to the purchase a relatively obscure Pennsylvania shortline, the Towanda Monroeton Shippers Lifeline. This approximate 5 mile long shortline rosters a single SW1, painted in a Lehigh Valley inspired scheme. Reportedly, it will not be retained as power for the line. This will be an isolated branch for the RBMN, connecting to the Lehigh Railway. The deal is expected to close 12/19/09.

Traffic on the line is agricultural in nature, and it is owned by the shippers, hence its name. RBMN sees potential future traffic for the line, as this area of Pennsylvania is seeing a lot of development of gas drilling operations.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
In a recent STB filing, Reading & Northern has announced its intention to the purchase a relatively obscure Pennsylvania shortline, the Towanda Monroeton Shippers Lifeline. This approximate 5 mile long shortline rosters a single SW1, painted in a Lehigh Valley inspired scheme. Reportedly, it will not be retained as power for the line. This will be an isolated branch for the RBMN, connecting to the Lehigh Railway. The deal is expected to close 12/19/09.

Traffic on the line is agricultural in nature, and it is owned by the shippers, hence its name. RBMN sees potential future traffic for the line, as this area of Pennsylvania is seeing a lot of development of gas drilling operations.
I read the title, and was expecting to see STB abandonment filing. I knew about the R&N acquisition, but the TMSL didn't click. You have to admit, even though the shortline title is disappearing, at least the wheels on it will still be steel instead of rubber, spoked wheels.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
ShortlinesUSA

Oh, absolutely-- very pleased that the line will continue to operate in R&N's fold. Had it not been for the shippers on this line banding together to save it, it likely would have been abandoned long ago. It's really a win-win, if it all pans out. R&N may wind up with some new business, plus the shippers keep their service without being in the railroad business. The only thing I find a little odd is that the R&N wound up as the buyer, rather than the connecting Lehigh Railway. One has to wonder if the new traffic does indeed develop, whether Mr. Mueller will be standing there with a smile on his face and a bag of money in hand when the Lehigh's lease is up for renewal with NS...

You have to admit, even though the shortline title is disappearing, at least the wheels on it will still be steel instead of rubber, spoked wheels.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
clifford1

Hi all - came across this thread. I host a small website about the TMSL. My brother and I grew up in Towanda and have followed the TMSL for quite a while. Happy and sad about the recent news. Have to wait and see what happens!!!

Chris C.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze14e54i/index.html
clifford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
ShortlinesUSA

Chris,

Nice site and thanks for sharing with us. As changes unfold on the TMSL, I hope you will keep us up to date on what's happening, especially what becomes of the old SW1.

Thank you!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
clifford1

Thanks for the comments on the site!

My brother and I plan to keep on top of this as much as possible. Unfortunately, a planned trip to the area on December 19th (the day of the transition) was postponed due to the winter storm. But I certainly plan to make a trip up there to see what has changed and to keep tabs on # 26 and spot any RBMN power that may arrive.

If anyone has any news or photos they would like to share on the site, just drop me a line at chrischamberlain@verizon.net.

Thanks eveyone for your interest.

Chris C.
clifford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford1 View Post
Hi all - came across this thread. I host a small website about the TMSL. My brother and I grew up in Towanda and have followed the TMSL for quite a while. Happy and sad about the recent news. Have to wait and see what happens!!!

Chris C.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze14e54i/index.html
These scene had/has a lot of potential...

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote