Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
MNJRR

Send a message via AIM to MNJRR Send a message via MSN to MNJRR
Default Opinion on this rejection

this is my first picture, i didn't think it was too bad, is it? http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...6&key=71347343
MNJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
GuilfordRailSD45

I always have zero luck submitting a shot from Mariners... You really have to be there at the right time to get the nose and side of the train lit. Those cliffs really ruin shots a good deal of the time by blocking the sun.

In this case, I'd say that the shot is indeed backlit, maybe even noselit (I'm no expert), but the side of the train does seem rather dark. It is also a tad blurry towards the front of the train. Now granted, there are shots in the database with blurred trains; however there is either other objects/ items of interest in the shot. Either that or the blur fits in.

That's just my two cents, and again, I am no expert. lol
I have a VERY similar shot at the same location; and wouldn't you know, it was rejected for being noselit, and the front of the train being blurred.
GuilfordRailSD45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

It's not good, sorry. The sun is at a bad angle for this shot, leaving the side of the train dark. Also it looks soft and could use some better cropping (too much dead space up front).
I am not going to tell you it's an awful photo, it just isn't the quality it takes to get on RP.
Keep trying, we all started in similar fashion.

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
MNJRR

haha, i sent in 2 shots from mariners today and both were rejected, 2 was my limit for the day (i keep reading its 10...) but i've got some more that should make it on RP, thanks everyone
Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJRR View Post
haha, i sent in 2 shots from mariners today and both were rejected, 2 was my limit for the day (i keep reading its 10...)
Sounds like your acceptance rate for submissions is too low. Review Kevin's post in this thread for an explanation:
http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=10009
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
MNJRR

thanks, but i think its because i just joined today.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
thanks, but i think its because i just joined today.
Just do not annoy them, send one or show us one at a time of your best? Everyone's taste in photo's and cropping is different but best to make your pick look like what gets on here helps. By the way we get rejected photo's to that may need a bit of work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
MNJRR

ok both pictures today were rejected also, of the M&NJ, they would have been the only ones but, the one is fixable. Here is the rejected picture http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=913740942 and attached i the edited one, does anyone think the edited one will go through?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2574.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	940.0 KB
ID:	4500  
Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
rathman11

The trucks are blocked by the tall grass. Anyway you can shoot it again and wait until the loco is a bit closer to you? The photo also needs leveling, CCW rotation I believe.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
MNJRR

a few issues with your suggestion, This train is extremely hard to catch and i haven't seen it since that picture (june 25,2009) and alot of the line is covered in grass. When i get the chance i most certainly will shoot it better, but compared to the original i think i fixed the problem they rejected it for.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
GuilfordRailSD45

If theres so much grass, try getting more of a head-on shot... not a complete head-on shot, but enough so that there is no vegetation obstructing the train. When doing so, you might find it neat to get a zoom shot (not cutting any of the train off, and not making the shot too "tight"), if you want a telephoto lens look.
Well, I do that because anyways the camera that I have is not an SLR - so no telephoto lense for me.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
This train is extremely hard to catch
Just keep in mind that difficult to shoot locations don't sway the RP screeners much. To them it is just a standard shot.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I happen to like that shot and feel it is fixable. Sticking to the rule of thirds, you may want to try something like this. It also needed 2 degrees CCW rotation.

Chris Z.

Last edited by Chris Z; 04-01-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #14
nikos1

I think a few feet closer when the locomotive had cleared the taller brush would have worked. Though RP is picky about weeds even if its a overgrown branchline..

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:33 AM   #15
MNJRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
I happen to like that shot and feel it is fixable. Sticking to the rule of thirds, you may want to try something like this. It also needed 2 degrees CCW rotation.

Chris Z.
I dont think i have the right program to rotate pictures thats also a problem, do you mind if i use your edited picture? I really want this railroad to get on RP I'll add credit for you as well
Old 08-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #16
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
I dont think i have the right program to rotate pictures thats also a problem, do you mind if i use your edited picture? I really want this railroad to get on RP I'll add credit for you as well
What program do you have that won't let you rotate? I'll admit that some are better than others. The program that I used when I first started submitting here only did full degree increments. It came with my flatbed scanner.

There are quite a few free downloadable editors available. I use gimp.org, but there are others too.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 AM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
If you take your time and learn the right skills, you can get all the shots on RP that you want. I suggest you get a copy of Picasa (Google) or GIMP (?) or some other free software and do the job yourself and learn to do it right.

Also, spend some time looking at accepted shots, to get a better sense of what works well here. For example, your M&NJ shot has the train too distant and too foreground obstructed. Chris' is an improvement, but I personally don't think this one is fixable but I could be wrong.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 AM   #18
MNJRR

I have paint.net which is essentially a free watered down version of adobe photoshop, i'd imagine i could rotate i haven't looked into it. The other factor is most of the people here have great cameras, i have a stupid point and shoot, top of the line point and shoot with slectable modes and custom settings but it just doesn't compare. I'm going to try chris' image and if it doesn't go through i'll wait until i can catch the train again. I've been learning already from my rejections what to look for and i've got some pictures of an EMD F unit (i think...) that'll go through.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #19
nikos1

Camera is not that much of a issue, for most well lit wedgies a PNS will do perfectly fine, a DSLR comes most in useful when the light is less that perfect.
I have 130 photos in the DB, all taken with either a Canon S5IS (Fancy PNS) or a Canon A80 (Old basic PNS). I know someone who posts here, though more on RRPA who shoots with a Kodak $100 PNS, before i met him in person i thought he was using a DSLR. A good photographer can overcome poor equipment.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #20
JRMDC

Quote:
I have paint.net which is essentially a free watered down version of adobe photoshop, i'd imagine i could rotate i haven't looked into it. The other factor is most of the people here have great cameras, i have a stupid point and shoot, top of the line point and shoot with slectable modes and custom settings but it just doesn't compare. I'm going to try chris' image and if it doesn't go through i'll wait until i can catch the train again. I've been learning already from my rejections what to look for and i've got some pictures of an EMD F unit (i think...) that'll go through.
With the two shots seen here, the problem has not been the camera. On the CSX you had the sun on the wrong side and in the other you composed poorly. Keep at it, you come first, then software and hardware.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #21
MNJRR

yes and i never even thought about those things until i joined here, so i'd say my skill and knowledge has already gone up some.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #22
MNJRR

ok i submitted an edited picture but it was rejected for the same reason as the original. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=469816626 i guess this is one that just wont go through... its going to be very hard to catch the train again.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #23
GuilfordRailSD45

That is still a great shot, definately a keeper. Not everything will make it onto RP, but that does not make it a bad shot.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
ok i submitted an edited picture but it was rejected for the same reason as the original. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=469816626 i guess this is one that just wont go through... its going to be very hard to catch the train again.
I don't see this one ever getting on, but as info the composition/balance reject is probably because you have the nose of the train dead-center, so the right side is pretty empty. RP generally likes shots that follow the "rule-of-thirds" placement. So next time, get the nose off center - to the right - and for that matter give a bit more space on the left.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #25
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
... its going to be very hard to catch the train again.
This has to be said often, but it is not about the situation the train was shot in (rare, hard to shoot, not in the database, etc.) it is about photo quality. Keep this in mind and you will get some work on here.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote