Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
mark woody

Default Just bought this scanner,opinions?

Hi all i just bought this film/slide scanner for $99.00au [first picture] it has a 5mp sensor with 4glass elements fixed focus,auto exp/colour balance,scans in 1800dpi or 3600dpi with backlit white leds.Saves as .tif or .jpg does film negs or slides. Have had a play with it on some slides from the early 80s [see other images] comments called for.Mark.

Last edited by mark woody; 07-05-2010 at 03:02 AM.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Not bad at all. While I am not as experienced with film as I am with digital, the quality appears to be quite decent.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Bryan Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
Hi all i just bought this film/slide scanner for $99.00au [first picture] it has a 5mp sensor with 4glass elements fixed focus,auto exp/colour balance,scans in 1800dpi or 3600dpi with backlit white leds.Saves as .tif or .jpg does film negs or slides. Have had a play with it on some slides from the early 80s [see other images] comments called for.Mark.
From the low resoloution photos you provided the quality looks decent. How about providing some larger shots, say 1024 pixels wide, to better judge the quality?

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
mark woody

All these shots have been run through psp x2ultimate to reduce pixels from 200 to 72 except the last one which is too big a file at 1024 wide,Mark.

Last edited by mark woody; 07-05-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #5
mark woody

Had a better look at the menu and chose the second colour setting [1 is 24 and 2 is 48 ] processed and removed some dust on the first ones the last one is straight from the scanner all have been reduced from 200 pixels per inch to 72 resized and saved as jpg.I saw a similar unit for sale on ebay from USA for $89.95au plus postage but postage put it over $120.00au.Mark.

Last edited by mark woody; 07-05-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

What type of scanner is this?

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
mark woody

My brand name is otek usb film & slide scanner just had a look on ebay US postage has gotten cheaper here is a link.http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-SVP-Digit...m4cecd5d820.US seems to be named SVP but looks like the same machine.Mark.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
DaveJ

I've done a few scans with one of these and had very mixed results.When the original slide is Kodachrome the copy is generally pretty good - other films don't seem to copy so well,although I'm still learning how to get the best results.
The following two shots were done with this machine -
Image © David J. Smith
PhotoID: 304027
Photograph © David J. Smith

Image © David J. Smith
PhotoID: 304248
Photograph © David J. Smith
DaveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
JRMDC

Did you do any processing afterwards? Both shots look off on color. The second shot in particular looks shifted blue. It is sometimes hard or impossible to improve on it, since fixing one color can muck up others and the slide's colors will often shift over time in unpleasant and unrecoverable ways. But I wonder if the second in particular would do better with a simple adjustment to the blue.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
...,although I'm still learning how to get the best results.
Amen to that!

Scanning is an art unto itself. I've been doing it for years and don't have a great handle on it.

I have a good machine, a Nikon Coolscan V ED. I've had it over a year and work on my skills but still the quality varies.

One example:

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 291053
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
mark woody

Thanks for the comments guys these shots were on agfa slides some family happy snaps from around the same time are so so looks like a lot of work ahead yet to try film negs but results seem ok for a cheap conversion alot of slides just didn't make it due to moisture damage hopefully i'll find some that are RP worthy.Mark.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
mark woody

First try got soft sharpened dropped brightness increased contrast slightly,the got distracting shadows.I hadn't even considerred them.Mark.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=926086582
Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey

Unhappy

Sorry Mark while the turntable shot is really interesting (since no one can resist a A7-S) the bad shadow on 300 kills it as far as acceptance on RP is concerned.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
mark woody

Thanks Dennis,i guess i spent so much time getting rid of dust etc in the sky i just didn't notice the shadows.At least i now have a very reasonable digital copy to keep in my collection.Mark.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #15
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
Thanks Dennis,i guess i spent so much time getting rid of dust etc in the sky i just didn't notice the shadows.At least i now have a very reasonable digital copy to keep in my collection.Mark.
Exactly right. You now have a good photo to remember a time that is no more.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 02-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
Denny in Dayton

I'm new to the forum, but have had a crash course in scanning. jAfter his death 2 years ago I got my fathers old black and white negatives he shot back around 1946-48 in the Dayton and Cincinnati Ohio area. He and some friends were train buffs, they shot and developed their own film. I bought a HP scanner and tried my hand but didn't like the results. Wright State University here in Dayton has a huge archive program and I wondered if they would be interested in these negatives. When I showed them what I had I not only got a yes, but a hell yes. They had their digital services do a sample scan that I compared to the lousy HP scans I was producing. I knew I was wasting my time.

I did some reading and found what is really important in scanning negatives is what they call "Dmax". It's the ability to show detail in shaded or shadowed areas. You need a Dmax of at least three to have an image worth while. The HP I was using was below 2. I now have an Epson V750 Pro which has a Dmax near 4.

Looking at your scans I would say your scanner has a low Dmax. You can usually look it up for what ever scanner you are interested in with a simple Google search.

The full story of my scanning and my fathers collection as well as some samples are in these Dayton Daily News stories.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...rss_local-news

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...rss_local-news

Sample photos:
http://projects.daytondailynews.com/...0410oldphotos/

I'll start a new thread and post samples from my fathers collection if people are interested in seeing them. They will be in the WSU archives as the John Daniel Gray collection, but I'm not pushing copyright as I'd like to just make them available for people to see them. I attended a Dayton Railroad Club meeting last month and we went through about 300 images. I have an invitation to and will be showing these at an upcoming Cincinnati Railroad club meeting.
Denny in Dayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
JRMDC

Denny, if you want another outlet in which to share your thoughts, you can set up a new account on RP, call it "John Daniel Gray Estate" or some such, and begin uploading!

Not all the shots are of RP-quality, but, for example, I can see that B&O 2-8-0 shot doing well. The shots will need post-processing for rotation/level, and for sharpness, and so forth.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #18
Denny in Dayton

That's pretty much what I was planning on doing. The Dayton Daily selected some photos that aren't of the nature I would post. They reduced the resolution as well. Also, these negative are 65 years old and show some deterioration which is why getting them scanned now is so important.

I'll have to see how much resizing I'll have to do to post here. I think the historical value of these will more than compensate for the amateur status of their taking and processing. I have several photos of the C&O "hudson" #490 around Cincinnati as an example that should interest people. Lots of Erie and New York Central photos around Dayton, including the round houses. Photos of the L&N "Hummingbird" in Cincy, and the Southern's Ludlow KY yard and roundhouse.

Last edited by Denny in Dayton; 02-11-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Denny in Dayton is offline   Reply With Quote