Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default Just absolutely awful

Image © Tom Farence
PhotoID: 484288
Photograph © Tom Farence


What the heck is this? What the heck is wrong with railfans?

Creeps me out and grosses me out.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
What the heck is this? What the heck is wrong with railfans?
Nothing wrong with railfans... What's wrong with the screener?

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

Either or

Just appalls me at how easily railfans are all OMG A WOMAN! And I am sure somewhere someone is making a "caboose" comment about a middle aged woman in baggy jeans in the creepiest foamer way possible. These creepy shots come up time and time again.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,158
Default

That one, along with this one:
Image © Jeff Terry
PhotoID: 484216
Photograph © Jeff Terry

surely deserve a place of honor in the Freeman Hubbard/Virgil Staff Gallery of Fine Photography!
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

The Creepy McCreeper Shagged Out Econonline Freeman Hubbard Railroad Magazine Memorial I feel Uneasy award.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Cameron A. Photography
Senior Member
 
Cameron A. Photography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 155
Send a message via MSN to Cameron A. Photography
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Image © Tom Farence
PhotoID: 484288
Photograph © Tom Farence


What the heck is this? What the heck is wrong with railfans?

Creeps me out and grosses me out.
I saw this and died LMFAO! Jesus...

-C
__________________
cam from Toronto

The RP
The Flickr
Cameron A. Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
That one, along with this one:
Image © Jeff Terry
PhotoID: 484216
Photograph © Jeff Terry

surely deserve a place of honor in the Freeman Hubbard/Virgil Staff Gallery of Fine Photography!
I saw this chick there Friday and Saturday. The way she was dressed, she looked very out of place.

I figured she was the wife/girlfriend/daughter of some VIP, or an employee.

Interesting that she is a railfan and engineer, there was a thread on trainorders about her yesterday, but that disappeared

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Just appalls me at how easily railfans are all OMG A WOMAN! And I am sure somewhere someone is making a "caboose" comment about a middle aged woman in baggy jeans in the creepiest foamer way possible. These creepy shots come up time and time again.
LoL, agree...

I automatically felt sorry for any decent looking woman present at this event because they were instant creeper mode targets, lol
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
Kevin B.
Member
 
Kevin B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 41
Default

Further proof that certain photographers can get ANYTHING accepted…

Absolutely horrible.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
__________________
Kevin Beeler

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM


My Railpictures.net Page
My Flickr Page
Kevin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Mark T
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
Absolutely horrible.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
You're certainly not the only one.

This site is getting openly mocked on UK forums for that photo....
__________________
My Railpictures.net

My flickr
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Missabefan
Senior Member
 
Missabefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 344
Default

For anyone who's ever received a PEQ rejection.......

WOW
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
Darryl Rule
Senior Member
 
Darryl Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 260
Default

For anyone who has seen the movie "Eurotrip", any girl at a train event anywhere and the scene at the beach immediately comes to mind (of course the railfans are usually clothed!). It's just sad that there are such a large number of quality photos on this site, especially from that event, and these are the ones that people want to look at. But then again, gotta get those views. After going on a few railfanning outings with me, my wife has always said she could retire if she could find 12 girls to pose in front of trains and make a calendar. You wouldn't be able to print enough.
__________________
View my Railpictures Photos

Last edited by Darryl Rule; 06-05-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: adding text
Darryl Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
hoydie17
We Own The Night...
 
hoydie17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 799
Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I saw this chick there Friday and Saturday. The way she was dressed, she looked very out of place.

I figured she was the wife/girlfriend/daughter of some VIP, or an employee.

Interesting that she is a railfan and engineer, there was a thread on trainorders about her yesterday, but that disappeared



LoL, agree...

I automatically felt sorry for any decent looking woman present at this event because they were instant creeper mode targets, lol
I kept seeing pictures of Julianna all over the place and every time, I was like, "I think I know her from somewhere."

Sure enough, she used to work in my business unit at Lockheed Martin Space; as an intern I believe. I don't recall ever speaking a word to her, but I never picked up that she was into trains. Maybe it should have struck me as curious when she would admire the photos I had hanging in my office area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule View Post
For anyone who has seen the movie "Eurotrip", any girl at a train event anywhere and the scene at the beach immediately comes to mind (of course the railfans are usually clothed!). It's just sad that there are such a large number of quality photos on this site, especially from that event, and these are the ones that people want to look at. But then again, gotta get those views. After going on a few railfanning outings with me, my wife has always said she could retire if she could find 12 girls to pose in front of trains and make a calendar. You wouldn't be able to print enough.
True enough, the calendar idea is intriguing. *scratches chin* Would have to talk to Tuch about purchasing rights to "Hot Times On The High Iron" though. . .
__________________
See my work on FLICKR: Night Stalker Photo Works on FLICKR

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"

Last edited by hoydie17; 06-05-2014 at 03:06 PM.
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 633
Default

Just can't believe someone would upload that and that rp would accept it. Second is worse IMO.
Mberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
Darryl Rule
Senior Member
 
Darryl Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 260
Default

The second is way worse. There is no saving quality to it. You only see half the engine, and it isn't even the nose. The woman isn't even taking a picture at the time of the photo. It is a pure creeper picture, and as Mitch said, how did the screener approve this and what was the rationale for it other than views?
__________________
View my Railpictures Photos
Darryl Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #15
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
That one, along with this one:
Image © Jeff Terry
PhotoID: 484216
Photograph © Jeff Terry

surely deserve a place of honor in the Freeman Hubbard/Virgil Staff Gallery of Fine Photography!
The shot the OP linked is indeed terrible but nothing wrong with this one IMO, its pretty well composed and atleast she wanted her photo taken..
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #16
Jeff Terry
Senior Member
 
Jeff Terry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Newport, Minnesota
Posts: 46
Default Go Retro

The photo of Julianna with the NKP unit reminded me of the 1950s "cheesecake" advertising that was popular at the time - and is popular again with the retro crowd - and that's why I posted it. I honestly didn't think that anyone would have a problem with it, and of course it was taken with her permission (she was posing for a large group of people, actually). I don't find anything "creepy" about it, and lets face it, the dress is pretty modest when compared to current standards. And yes, it did cross my mind that Virgil Staff would have taken the same shot! This was one of several fun moments that occurred at Spencer - I'm glad I was there to capture it.

I have had to remove a couple of offensive comments that were posted. I'm not sure how those got through.
Jeff Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #17
Firefighter1019
Senior Member
 
Firefighter1019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 118
Default

Soooo let me get this straight. To get my pictures accepted all I need to do is have my wife stand infront of my shots? Geez I didnt know it was that easy lol.
Firefighter1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
hoydie17
We Own The Night...
 
hoydie17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 799
Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Terry View Post
The photo of Julianna with the NKP unit reminded me of the 1950s "cheesecake" advertising that was popular at the time - and is popular again with the retro crowd - and that's why I posted it. I honestly didn't think that anyone would have a problem with it, and of course it was taken with her permission (she was posing for a large group of people, actually). I don't find anything "creepy" about it, and lets face it, the dress is pretty modest when compared to current standards. And yes, it did cross my mind that Virgil Staff would have taken the same shot! This was one of several fun moments that occurred at Spencer - I'm glad I was there to capture it.

I have had to remove a couple of offensive comments that were posted. I'm not sure how those got through.
I think your photo is fine Jeff. It captures a human interest angle that many folks saw while at the event.

But the one with the girl just staring at the engine on the turntable while some dude is ostensibly "checking her out" evokes a thought of some guy hiding in the shadows and creeping on women at every turn. I personally can't fathom why anyone would think this is RP.net material and submit it. Even if she did concur with the photo being taken, it is not a very complimentary angle.

Moreover, why one of the vaunted screeners wouldn't nail that turntable photo with "bad motive" or the ever-popular "PEQ" is the REAL head scratcher. The lighting is questionable at best and could have been grounds to dump this from the start, nevermind the unclear motive behind the photo.

There have been threads over the last few days that suggest many far less egregious photos than this were rejected. So it's naturally going to warrant some vigorous discussion.
__________________
See my work on FLICKR: Night Stalker Photo Works on FLICKR

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"

Last edited by hoydie17; 06-05-2014 at 05:32 PM.
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #19
jac_murphy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 374
Default

Don't have any particular problem with the NKP shot, but the one in Brent's original post is just God-awful.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #20
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule View Post
The second is way worse. There is no saving quality to it. You only see half the engine, and it isn't even the nose. The woman isn't even taking a picture at the time of the photo. It is a pure creeper picture, and as Mitch said, how did the screener approve this and what was the rationale for it other than views?
By second one I meant that it's worse that rp took the original photo in question.
Mberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #21
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 View Post
Soooo let me get this straight. To get my pictures accepted all I need to do is have my wife stand infront of my shots? Geez I didnt know it was that easy lol.
Trash, crash, or ass. Those shots get on for free

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #22
Darryl Rule
Senior Member
 
Darryl Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
By second one I meant that it's worse that rp took the original photo in question.
I apologize, I should have clarified. I too have no real issue with your shot. It is well lit and clearly posed. It just fits under the "Women draw views", but that isn't a creepy shot like the other one. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.
__________________
View my Railpictures Photos
Darryl Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #23
John West
Senior Curmudgeon
 
John West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 1,075
Cool PEQ is PEQ

I know a couple fairly well known railfan photogs who also take "glamour" pix and sometimes mix trains with beautiful women. Some of their work is really well done. The women are really good looking, and the compositions artful. In comparison, the pix being discussed here are totally mediocre. The picture of "Jennifer" with the NKP unit is a bit funny because it was clearly done tongue in cheek, but the first one is just bad. I don't necessarily buy the implications that the folks involved are creepy, but there is a difference between human interest and PEQ, and PEQ is PEQ. Those pix are PEQ. Just another example of bad judgement by the screeners. And I'm old enough to remember the Freeman Hubbard and Virgil Staff stuff....also pretty bad. Some folks simply have some pretty weird tastes.
__________________
John West
See my pix here and
here and here
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #24
Jeff Terry
Senior Member
 
Jeff Terry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Newport, Minnesota
Posts: 46
Default

I apologize, I should have clarified. I too have no real issue with your shot. It is well lit and clearly posed. It just fits under the "Women draw views", but that isn't a creepy shot like the other one. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.
___________

No apology necessary! I wanted to clarify my thoughts behind the shot; I didn't take your post the wrong way.

Last edited by Jeff Terry; 06-05-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: I done spel good
Jeff Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #25
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule View Post
I apologize, I should have clarified. I too have no real issue with your shot. It is well lit and clearly posed. It just fits under the "Women draw views", but that isn't a creepy shot like the other one. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.
I don't have any shots in this post and hope to keep it that way!!!
Mberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.