Old 11-02-2016, 03:00 AM   #1
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 353
Default Composition (Balance)

Two shots rejected for composition, not sure how to correct these. Both have the nose of the lead unit lined up with a 'rule' of thirds point. Thanks.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...30&key=2008079
I have more room on all sides.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...51&key=5704365
I have more room top and left, not much bottom/right.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:15 AM   #2
spacetrain1983
Senior Member
 
spacetrain1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 151
Default

On the second one, the train is cut off at right. That almost always kills a photo.
__________________
Believe it or not, I do try.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
On the second one, the train is cut off at right. That almost always kills a photo.
I doubt that would be it unless it's one screener vs another considering I had this accepted just a few days ago
Image © mtnclimberjoe
PhotoID: 594115
Photograph © mtnclimberjoe
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Two shots rejected for composition, not sure how to correct these. Both have the nose of the lead unit lined up with a 'rule' of thirds point. Thanks.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...30&key=2008079
I have more room on all sides.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...51&key=5704365
I have more room top and left, not much bottom/right.
The first image has way too much dead space at the top and bottom. I would crop it in landscape orientation, cutting from the top and bottom, and adding to the right so no more of the parking lot to the left is added.

The second image has too much road at the bottom, If you pan up, as you did in the accepted photo, that heavy cable is a huge distraction. I would abandon this vantage point and maybe stand on the other side of the crossing. I would also avoid submitting shot after shot at the same location.

Doug Lilly
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
The first image has way too much dead space at the top and bottom. I would crop it in landscape orientation, cutting from the top and bottom, and adding to the right so no more of the parking lot to the left is added.
Doug Lilly
I was trying to avoid cutting off the top of the building. Should that not be a concern?
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
I was trying to avoid cutting off the top of the building. Should that not be a concern?
You should be able to recrop without cutting off the top of the building. Leave a little sky above it.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
I doubt that would be it unless it's one screener vs another considering I had this accepted just a few days ago
Image © mtnclimberjoe
PhotoID: 594115
Photograph © mtnclimberjoe
I'm surprised that was accepted - cutting off a train is a big rp no-no, especially when it's just a simple wedgie.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #8
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

I think the concept is that the crossing signal is enough to cut the frame at the right. It works for me. But the shot isn't sharp; the accepted one isn't particularly sharp either.

The fragment of wires top left are a problem - you want none or, as in your other shot, more. You have a fragment of orange pole creeping in on the left edge, also a no-no.

The other one isn't very sharp either; in general I'm surprised it got in. Besides the other things I and others have said, that odd thing off the power pole that is creeping in the upper left corner.

Both shots need improvement.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:48 AM   #9
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 353
Default

I seem to have a very hard time judging what is "sharp." Not sure if this is something I can learn or not. To me, as long as something isn't extremely soft or mudddy, I couldn't tell you if it is over or under sharpened. Everything I submit here I have been maxing out the sharpness slider in lightroom, but to me it's not something I can judge when an image is sharp. Any tips on this are apprecaited.

And yes, as JRMDC noticed, due to the location not having any good way to avoid "cutting off the train," I used the crossing gate to frame the right side of the image. I thought it worked but if that doesn't work for all I understand. I personally like it so that's enough to keep me happy. I mainly come here so I can learn and improve for myself.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:14 AM   #10
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 353
Default

Looks like moving the train lower in the frame worked. Thank you all for the help.

Image © mtnclimberjoe
PhotoID: 594891
Photograph © mtnclimberjoe
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:14 AM   #11
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 353
Default

Got another one. Not sure what to do here. More sky adds notihng, more ground is also boring. One of my personal favorite images and I'm guessing it's because the train is in the center. Suggestions?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=1240942
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #12
Mr. Pick
Senior Member
 
Mr. Pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Got another one. Not sure what to do here. More sky adds notihng, more ground is also boring. One of my personal favorite images and I'm guessing it's because the train is in the center. Suggestions?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=1240942
Don't know if you have any more picture available on the right, but my gut feel is to move everything to the left a little, putting the nose of the loco further left and getting a little more breathing room on the right. I think it is ok top and bottom, at least for me.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.