Old 10-30-2016, 04:06 AM   #1
spacetrain1983
Senior Member
 
spacetrain1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 151
Default PC heritage and warbonnet pics

Hey everyone. Today was a special day for me. Why? Well, I saw an eastbound BNSF reroute with a warbonnet Dash-9 in 3rd. Five minutes later I saw NS 1073, the Penn Central heritage unit, going the opposite direction on a UP stack train. I chased the stack train to Orchard, where I got a picture of the train next to a water tower with storm clouds in the background. Here are the best of the bunch. The second image was taken on railroad property with permission.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4017.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	614.0 KB
ID:	9282
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4042.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	708.2 KB
ID:	9283
The main problems I can see with these are:
1st one: Maybe a bit too tightly composed... and possibly motion blur
2nd one: Yes, cool light and scenery and heritage unit, but it looks to be a bit blurred...
What do you think?
__________________
Believe it or not, I do try.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:00 AM   #2
Pkwlsn
Member
 
Pkwlsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 60
Default

Your composition skills and attention to proper lighting conditions seems to be improving, judging by these photos. A higher shutter speed would have eliminated the blur in the first photo. Does your camera have enough manual control to allow you to change the shutter speed?
The lighting in the second one is especially cool. Since the heritage unit is a little ways back, I'm not sure that it adds anything to the photo. It's plenty interesting without that though. Some highlight reduction on the water tower as well as some sharpening would go a long ways here. Image quality seems to be a bit on the low side but I suspect that this is a limitation of your camera itself. Have you considered upgrading to something that will give you a bit more control?
__________________
My Flickr
My RP.net
Pkwlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:06 AM   #3
spacetrain1983
Senior Member
 
spacetrain1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkwlsn View Post
Your composition skills and attention to proper lighting conditions seems to be improving, judging by these photos. A higher shutter speed would have eliminated the blur in the first photo. Does your camera have enough manual control to allow you to change the shutter speed?
The lighting in the second one is especially cool. Since the heritage unit is a little ways back, I'm not sure that it adds anything to the photo. It's plenty interesting without that though. Some highlight reduction on the water tower as well as some sharpening would go a long ways here. Image quality seems to be a bit on the low side but I suspect that this is a limitation of your camera itself. Have you considered upgrading to something that will give you a bit more control?
Unfortunately, this camera gives me almost zero control over any settings except for where to aim the camera. I have considered upgrading, but I'm trying to see if I can master this camera instead of having to upgrade, but I will upgrade if necessary.
__________________
Believe it or not, I do try.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:29 AM   #4
Pkwlsn
Member
 
Pkwlsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
Unfortunately, this camera gives me almost zero control over any settings except for where to aim the camera. I have considered upgrading, but I'm trying to see if I can master this camera instead of having to upgrade, but I will upgrade if necessary.
If it gives you zero control over anything than the only thing to master with it is where to point it. And you do seem to be getting better at that. That's only part of photography though.
__________________
My Flickr
My RP.net
Pkwlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
Rene de Vries
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
Default

Hi,

if a camera gives you zero control, you should definitely buy a decent camera a.s.a.p.
If not, you'll be annoyed in a few years time when looking at your pictures and realising that they could have been a lot better if you only had a good camera...

The first shot is waaay to close to the edges..
The second one... well, it is very clear that you didn't keep the camera horizontally because you wanted to include the sky.

The Water tower is tilting heavily to the right. On the right side of the shot, the cars are leaning to the left.. You can correct this (to a certain extent) in Photoshop....

Kind regards

René
Rene de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
The main problems I can see with these are:
1st one: Maybe a bit too tightly composed... and possibly motion blur
2nd one: Yes, cool light and scenery and heritage unit, but it looks to be a bit blurred...
What do you think?
I think not only are your compositional skills improving but so are your evaluative skills!
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 353
Default

With a little work, I think the second photo (UP with water tower) can be a really good shot.

I agree that without control of settings, it's time for a camera upgrade. I know from previous forums posts that you don't have an editing program that can make some of the needed sharpening and other improvements so I would recommend investing in lightroom, photoshop or another program.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 386
Default

Spacetrain, you definitely need better software. Microsoft office can alter images, but it is NOT a photo editing program. Lightroom allows for a lot of trial and error, and you can still go back one or more steps if you go in the wrong direction. That said, don't expect miracles immediately. I've been processing in LR for close to two years, and I still can see that there's a lot to learn.

I briefly looked at the on-line manual for your camera. You can set the ISO, and I suspect that you have it set at 80. Increase it to 400 or 800, and your shutter speed should get faster. I believe that I also saw that there in a "sports" setting, which should also push the shutter speed.

It's a shame that you spent the money on the Coolpix L340. For a little more, you could have had a low-end DSLR with much more flexibility.

Doug Lilly

Last edited by Decapod401; 10-31-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
2nd one: Yes, cool light and scenery and heritage unit, but it looks to be a bit blurred...
What do you think?
First of all, too much sky. This one definitely needs to be at a 3:2 ratio. The overexposed water tower might not be doing you any favors though. That could be the one thing that keeps this photo from being accepted. The wide angle distortion is an easy fix. I've attached a quick edit with the distortion corrected, the water tower toned down a bit, the contrast slightly increased, and a 3:2 crop which improves the balance a bit. I wish there was a little more on the bottom to work with though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4042.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	568.5 KB
ID:	9284
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #10
Pkwlsn
Member
 
Pkwlsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
First of all, too much sky. This one definitely needs to be at a 3:2 ratio. The overexposed water tower might not be doing you any favors though. That could be the one thing that keeps this photo from being accepted. The wide angle distortion is an easy fix. I've attached a quick edit with the distortion corrected, the water tower toned down a bit, the contrast slightly increased, and a 3:2 crop which improves the balance a bit. I wish there was a little more on the bottom to work with though.

Attachment 9284
Definitely an improvement. It seems like the compressed jpeg doesn't give enough wiggle room for serious local adjustments though, which the water tower severely needs.
__________________
My Flickr
My RP.net
Pkwlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:15 AM   #11
Noct Foamer
Senior Member
 
Noct Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 571
Default

You are steadily improving. You are using the Light better for one thing. Having a train right at the edge of the frame about to exit is my single biggest pet peeve about foamers though. Still, definitely improving.


Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:19 AM   #12
Noct Foamer
Senior Member
 
Noct Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 571
Default

A Nikon D3200 from ebay with two lenses are now selling for as little as $300. You can control ISO, shutter speed, and aperture independently.


Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.