Old 10-09-2016, 05:08 AM   #1
John Russell - NZ

Default How is RailPictures owned?

A recent technical glitch with this site caused me to think more about what might happen, including the owners giving up or selling the site. I'm not sure if it's individual/ company ownership or a trust (bearing in mind it's volunteer ran.) I'd like to think there is good IT management in place as I don't like the thought that one day the photos and albums I've spent hundreds of hours making could disappear for technical reasons. I consider RPN as one of the most precious rail photo archives in the world - and an awesome global community for train photography. Long may it live! Thanks everyone.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
A recent technical glitch with this site caused me to think more about what might happen, including the owners giving up or selling the site. I'm not sure if it's individual/ company ownership or a trust (bearing in mind it's volunteer ran.) I'd like to think there is good IT management in place as I don't like the thought that one day the photos and albums I've spent hundreds of hours making could disappear for technical reasons. I consider RPN as one of the most precious rail photo archives in the world - and an awesome global community for train photography. Long may it live! Thanks everyone.
As far as anyone knows, the site is jointly owned by Chris Starnes and Chris Kilroy, who are also two of the five screeners. We know little of the IT management. Many years ago someone who is IT-knowledgeable pointed out, IIRC as it has been many years now, some deficiencies in things like password security. I have no idea if changes needed to or have been made.

Over the years there have been any number of complaints about any number of issues. One example that comes to mind, as it has been happening for years, at least in my standard Firefox browser, for any shot making the Top of Last 24 Hours the thumbnail appears stretched horizontally. Anyway, I suspect many long time users would agree that the site has been in long term static mode for some time now. Owners are rarely heard from in the forums.

What that means for storage/backup, I have no idea. Many years ago, an owner did mention in the forums about server/storage costs or some such. I don't recall the details.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
miningcamper1

Sites come and go. Some are rescued, like Dave's Railpix, some vanish like GingerB (painful, since it had a fine selection of vintage anthracite road shots).
Just look at Google's sorry photo site history: Panoramio and Picasa, under the bus. And perhaps worst of all, Verizon's acquisition of Flickr (part of Yahoo). I'd like to hope that Verizon will leave Flickr alone, but I'm a pessimist.

P.S. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. It should go without saying that you need to back up your photos on an external hard drive or cd or dvd.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 10-10-2016 at 07:48 PM. Reason: additional text
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:00 AM   #4
NorthWest

Chris Kilroy apparently sold the Jetphotos.net counterpart to the flight tracking website FlightRadar24 a couple of years ago...
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote