Old 10-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
adickson

Default Color Problems PS CC

I recently upgraded to the new PhotoShop CC and Lightroom Combo. I ran a few photos through them and discovered a significant color issue.

I use a calibrated monitor. When I am working on a particularly important photo I even check the calibration prior to editing. So, I am fairly confident in the colors. I started in Lightroom cause I seem to get better results with white balance. From there its on to Photoshop for sharpening/contrast, etc. Colors look great. Save the final edits as jpegs. Colors still look great in preview. Once I set to background, download from Google Drive, or reopen in programs other than PhotoShop the colors are completely effed! All previews look great. Even when set as the background, the preview icon in settings shows the proper colors. It does this on all my computers and cell phones.

This is particularly disturbing because I found this problem on photos I submitted to the CRRPA. I have a sample showing the preview and the "set has BG" version. The quality takes a beating as well. Extremely concerning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	color-issue.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	9034  
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
adickson

Forgot to ask the question on my mind... Any ideas what is causing this?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 AM   #3
adickson

May have solved my problem. ProPhotoRGB is the Effing devil....
Old 10-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
JimThias

I've been experiencing a similar problem for years with photoshop. No one has an answer or solution.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
adickson

Everything I've read says ProPhotoRGB is amazing...but don't use it! The majority of monitors/browsers/etc are not capable of displaying it. So the file gets converted to a grainy green sRGB interpretation.

Its really shameful that ProPhotoRGB came out in 2011 and this problem has still not been addressed. Additionally, that lightroom/PS would by default work in this color space without alerting the user is quite frustrating.

All the pictures I submitted to CRRPA were done in ProPhotoRGB prior to my discovery of its significant faults. I'm extremely disappointed that these photos I've worked so hard on will look like pure shit unless they use one of the few programs set up to handle the 16bit color space.

Lastly, I can't just change the color profile on these images. I have to change to sRGB and re-edit EVERYTHING... Has not been a good week...