Old 10-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
CSX1702

Default Flickr Views

Just kinda curious as to how you all get some many followers on Flickr? Is it just following as many people as you can hoping they follow you back? Posting pictures more often? Relentless tagging?

I know I could be a better photographer but I've seen worse with more followers.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
miningcamper1

There's a real snowball effect there. More followers result in more followers. Every fave or comment is a link to one's photos, which are hopefully interesting, well-captioned and tagged. Captions like "IMG_1234" won't be found by search engines.
Still, some good photos get ignored, while some WTF shots make it to the Explore gallery. Kind of like here in that respect.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 10-15-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: additional text
miningcamper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Just kinda curious as to how you all get some many followers on Flickr? Is it just following as many people as you can hoping they follow you back? Posting pictures more often? Relentless tagging?

I know I could be a better photographer but I've seen worse with more followers.
Follow as many people as possible, comment on as many photos as possible. You'll soon see your views start to increase.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
Mgoldman

I thought it worked the way everything works today - link your images back to FB.

I haven't done so, but I've started to follow some photographers I found via FB.

And no one got knocked off a front page, lol.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:48 AM   #5
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Follow as many people as possible, comment on as many photos as possible. You'll soon see your views start to increase.
Thank you, sir. I figured it was probably all that. That's a good way for me to find more, better photography as well. I'm trying to get away from RP. It's not like the admins drove me away from it, either. It's just as I'm maturing and growing as a photographer I find it less attractive. Weird how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I thought it worked the way everything works today - link your images back to FB.

I haven't done so, but I've started to follow some photographers I found via FB.

And no one got knocked off a front page, lol.
I'm not gonna knock linkers, but that's not my thing. I keep my railroad photography off Facebook anyways because I've got friends that would think I'm insane.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #6
Mgoldman

Quote:
I'm not gonna knock linkers, but that's not my thing. I keep my railroad photography off Facebook anyways because I've got friends that would think I'm insane.
I'm not knocking linkers in general - but those that link strictly to make the front page on RP make the site less enjoyable for everyone posting. You never see those same people linking the day after...

I always liked RP vs the railroad magazine model - the best pics from ANYONE got a fair shot of being seen. Now, as I've noted in the past, linking has made RP more akin to the magazine where the only photographers seen are those with the connections (in the case of RP, the linking campaign). Fresh new talent? Have you seen Top of the last 24(s), last week....?

No such issue when linking FLICKR.

I've seen a lot of folks with success (somehow) getting their pics into groups (Amtrak, NEC, Shortlines, Creative, ect). That and making sure you have a good assortment of keywords (though, that is often what makes FLICKR so annoying - look up "Acela" and you get some kid drinking a soda ON an Acela).

I'm with you regarding FB and trains. I typically post off my timeline and in other groups (Railroad Photography, for instance). Keeps your timeline clean.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post

Keeps your timeline clean.

/Mitch
You can rearrange your photos on flickr by simply changing the upload date. That's also handy for moving an improved version or unappreciated photo to the front (very unlike here, where old uploads stay buried forever).

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:

This is exactly the reason why I've never really posted any train photos on FB.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
I keep my railroad photography off Facebook anyways because I've got friends that would think I'm insane.
I assign all my FB "friends" from the train realm to a group I call "Train" and then use that for posting train stuff rather than "Public". So those who would not understand don't see that stuff.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
KevinM

Posting links to your Flickr account on various message boards will slowly build your following. You are more likely to find like-minded people on those boards than they are likely to find you without the links.

And of course, unlike here, no other photographers are robbed of potential views by posting links to a Flickr page.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:32 AM   #11
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
So those who would not understand don't see that stuff.
Its a little hard to explain too.

"Nah, I just like trains."
"Those loud things that make me late to work everyday?"
"Yeah, love em'. Like taking pictures of them every now and again."
"Why am I friends with you?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Posting links to your Flickr account on various message boards will slowly build your following. You are more likely to find like-minded people on those boards than they are likely to find you without the links.

And of course, unlike here, no other photographers are robbed of potential views by posting links to a Flickr page.
If I was on any other message board besides this one, I'd probably try that. Lol.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I assign all my FB "friends" from the train realm to a group I call "Train" and then use that for posting train stuff rather than "Public". So those who would not understand don't see that stuff.
I suppose I could do that as well. Just have to figure it out.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
Mberry

Quote:
I suppose I could do that as well. Just have to figure it out.
Everyone I know on Facebook knows I'm nuts about trains and that's fine with me.

Back to the original topic, yes, following back people who follow you, follow new people and adding photos to groups will add to your Flickr views. I have 1,151 followers and because of that my photos generally get more views on Flickr than rp. I'm also approaching 7 million Flickr views total.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:07 AM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Everyone I know on Facebook knows I'm nuts about trains and that's fine with me.
Well, you're much younger, too. I didn't "come out" about liking trains until about 10 years ago. Yeah, nearly 40 and none of my friends knew of my wierd interest. For a long time I actually thought I was the only one. So, it's much easier to share that kind of stuff when you're young like yourself.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:34 AM   #15
CSX1702

Quote:
So, it's much easier to share that kind of stuff when you're young like yourself.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. This generation is caught up in texting, Yolo, Luke Bryan, hashtags, and trying to get Bernie Sanders to give them free s***.

So if I were to go up to some of my friends and say, "Hey, I'm gonna go watch some trains," I probably wouldn't have friends anymore. Granted, I don't hang out with hardly anyone like that......or of that age group now that I think about it, you can see my point.

I do post my scenery and wildlife photos on Facebook (which I'm better at than railroad photography), but that's not seen as strange.

Quote:
Back to the original topic, yes, following back people who follow you, follow new people and adding photos to groups will add to your Flickr views. I have 1,151 followers and because of that my photos generally get more views on Flickr than rp. I'm also approaching 7 million Flickr views total.
That sounds like that will probably be the best way for me. It's gonna take some time to follow that many damn people but like I said earlier, that is a great way to see some great photography.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 10-23-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #16
Mberry

Quote:
Well, you're much younger, too. I didn't "come out" about liking trains until about 10 years ago. Yeah, nearly 40 and none of my friends knew of my wierd interest. For a long time I actually thought I was the only one. So, it's much easier to share that kind of stuff when you're young like yourself.
Is 36 years old that much younger than nearly 40?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:16 AM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Is 36 years old that much younger than nearly 40?
Wait, who is 36? Now I'm

Old 10-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
Mberry

Quote:
Wait, who is 36? Now I'm
I'm 36!
Old 10-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #19
CSX1702

One thing I have noticed is that the photos I look at on Flickr are infinitely times better than the ones on here. I don't know if better photogs choose Flickr or what, but the amount of pictures I see that I just have to stop and look at are much higher than RP.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 10-31-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #20
John Russell - NZ

Flickr.com accepts full size photos. In reality there is some compression but you can see the difference in photostreams of photographers who have either started or stopped downsizing photos. (Many don't bother downsizing anymore Flickr.com has possibly almost ruined the market for trading images.) 1200*800 pixel resolution on RPN is now probably archaic. Compare with www.trainspo.com which has auto downsize function (a bit like Facebook but higher resolution.) Click on image to bring full size like Flickr. That site has a lower standard of screening though and European bias. Where I think Flickr really shines is the big country train scenes. Compare Mike Danneman's work on Flickr vs RPN, for example. Watch that you don't get flickn addicted!
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote