Old 05-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Daniel SIMON

Default Cloudy days worldwide

It is always amazing me to see how different a cloudy day can be in the US and in the rest of the world !

The photo below has been rejected with the reason: Cloudy day / common power.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...69&key=2292757

No problem, I accept the decision of the Screener, but in comparison, I could attach here a nice bunch of pictures of the NW611 that have been posted recently and that have NOT been taken under full sunshine ..... And yes, the NW611 has now also become a common power !

Just a thought.
Daniel
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

The 611 may be common power now, but it's still pretty newsworthy and creates a lot of interest (and thereby clicks) when she runs. FWIW, I like your shot a lot, too.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
RobJor

Obvious standard power. See lots of that engine. Nice color, very pleasant image.

611: I guess once you accept one photo then how can you reject another, wonder how many on tht bridge::
Image © Gage ODell
PhotoID: 618461
Photograph © Gage ODell

Image © Peyton Gupton
PhotoID: 618456
Photograph © Peyton Gupton

Bob
Of course we also have the kids waving and the old auto by the track.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Obvious standard power. See lots of that engine. Nice color, very pleasant image.

611: I guess once you accept one photo then how can you reject another, wonder how many on that bridge
No bridge there.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
It is always amazing me to see how different a cloudy day can be in the US and in the rest of the world !

The photo below has been rejected with the reason: Cloudy day / common power.

The sky is terrible. The tops of the plume is borderline blown out as well as the highlights on the dome. The rest of the image is good, but little details can make a big difference.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

611: I guess once you accept one photo then how can you reject another, wonder how many on tht bridge::
Image © Gage ODell
PhotoID: 618461
Photograph © Gage ODell

Image © Peyton Gupton
PhotoID: 618456
Photograph © Peyton Gupton

Bob
Of course we also have the kids waving and the old auto by the track.
I could have sworn there was a "Similar to previous rejection." Perhaps two different screeners screened the images.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:37 PM   #7
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
I could have sworn there was a "Similar to previous rejection." Perhaps two different screeners screened the images.
I think that rejection is for the same photographer.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 AM   #8
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
It is... stop the complaining, the OP's shot does not compare to the shots of 611. Loyd is right, the sky is awful and that really detracts from it.

The people who took that shot hiked in a ways and climbed to the top of that cut to get the shot. Basically limiting them to one shot that trip...
Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 AM   #9
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

The sky and highlights need to be darkened, the color (especially the green) is a bit too saturated, and I would crop it a bit more tightly. But basically a nice image.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
The people who took that shot hiked in a ways and climbed to the top of that cut to get the shot. Basically limiting them to one shot that trip...
Though it's been said many times on here that it doesn't matter what a photographer did to get a shot when it comes to RP acceptance.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:08 PM   #11
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Though it's been said many times on here that it doesn't matter what a photographer did to get a shot when it comes to RP acceptance.
It doesn't matter in terms of acceptance, I was just refuting something another poster said about the location being easily accessible...
Old 06-02-2017, 05:20 AM   #12
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Not at all. I've been rejected for my shot being similar to somebody else's a few times, a couple of which I never could figure out. Also, several years back Mark Pringle had a shot rejected for similar to previous. He appealed saying he hadn't taken anything similar and got a reply {noteworthy enough on its own account) that it looked to them like he was "standing right beside W. D. Shaw when he took his earlier accepted shot of the same train". When Mark pointed out his shot was taken over 30 miles south of where mine was taken they let it in. So basically it seems to be screener's discretion and nothing more.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:24 AM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
So basically it seems to be screener's discretion and nothing more.
Yeah, pretty much on every rejection reason. It's their site.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #14
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Yeah, pretty much on every rejection reason. It's their site.
Joe is quoting Rule 1. Never forget Rule 1. The site owners pay the bills, so they get to decide the content. The submission guidelines are just that....guidelines. When you own the site, you decide on the exceptions.

All of that said, I don't think that the original photo is bad as a keepsake from an event, but it's not really a scenic and the light on the train does not make it stand out as a particularly pleasing train shot. "Almost but not quite" is a phrase I use often. We all have stuff like this and we don't just delete them....unless we have lots of other better images of the same subject.

The shot could be improved with some editing, in my view. I'd open up the shadows a bit, as the running gear is dark. I'd also do some highlight reduction, as that brass dome is pretty hot on my IPAD. Lastly, the sky is overexposed. I don't see it as blown out at all, just too bright....look at the blue. I might experiment with the grad filter in Lightroom. I use it a lot in situations like this one, where I had to shoot a bit bright for the subject, but that action left the sky too bright. Try a half stop on the grad and adjust from there. It might never get on RP, but we all have stuff like that. That doesn't mean we shouldn't make it as good as it can be for Flickr or whatever other personal gallery we may have.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.

Last edited by KevinM; 06-02-2017 at 01:50 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote