Old 06-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #26
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
The compositions I've shared.... I assume you mean those of mine that have made it on RP. If so, then most of them I call my "rookie" pics, so now that I'm a little more seasoned, they dont seem as compelling to me now as they did then when RP accepted them. If Ive learned nothing else from RP, I've learned to break the rules. If not, then its just cookie cutter. Nothing wrong with those pics, just not what Im after unless its all I have to work. Which here on the CW, where NS dumps it worn out rejects, that is usually all you get. They too, one day will be relics...

If I've missed your point, then break it down for me.....
You have totally missed my point. I thought that we were talking about the photo that we have been discussing for the past couple of hours. None of your other photos are part of this discussion.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:24 AM   #27
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Now you've piqued my interest. What about your compositions that you shared are more compelling than a more "conventional" take on the arrangement of the photo's elements? I'm not saying that you shouldn't break "rules", but doing so has to result in an interesting image.
Well the two shots I shared with you, are not that compelling, boring dash 9 but the story with the pic would have explained the history of the rails or siding on which the boring dash 9 was sitting on. I will get this shot to work it just make take some time. I like it for the simple reason its not cookie cutter. There is always different viewpoints and stuff to look at in pics or history to tell putting, that into RP's standard wedge is the challange
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 AM   #28
miningcamper1

Quote:
Well the two shots I shared with you, are not that compelling, boring dash 9 but the story with the pic would have explained the history of the rails or siding on which the boring dash 9 was sitting on. I will get this shot to work it just make take some time. I like it for the simple reason its not cookie cutter. There is always different viewpoints and stuff to look at in pics or history to tell putting, that into RP's standard wedge is the challange
If this shot gets you lots of views somewhere, great! But I'd be surprised.
There's a guy on flickr who specializes in landscapes that are 2/3 murky dark foreground. He gets tons of faves for every one of them. Amazes me every time.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 06-13-2017 at 12:53 AM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:51 AM   #29
Decapod401

Quote:
I'll try to take this a different way. Part of my approach the rail photography is to document history, and I like to interject a bit of history into my captions whenever I can. That said, I have a lot of shots that are sub-par for one reason or another, and I would never submit them to tell a story. One of my earliest 35mm slides is of a pair of consecutively numbered Erie Lackawanna A-B-B-A sets meeting each other. The light was failing, and I my shutter speed was 1/15th of a second. Needless to say, its soft, and will never see RP, although I may post it on Flickr at some point. The point is, the image unlocks the gate keeping your story from RP. Get a photo with the loco in a better position, and you can unlock the gate for your story.

There of lots of non-wedgie photos on RP, but they're still well-balanced if they violate the ROT. I'm confident that your photo would get on if you crop it like I suggested, I'm just not confident that it is the vehicle that I would use to tell the story. I'm also pretty sure that it won't compel people to read your story.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.

Last edited by Decapod401; 06-13-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:05 AM   #30
Joseph Cermak

Not to distract from the discussion of the NS photo, but with a slightly tighter crop, mine made it. Most likely some screener roulette, but it is one of my favorite shots that I've taken for some reason.

Image © mtnclimberjoe
PhotoID: 619832
Photograph © mtnclimberjoe
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:16 AM   #31
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
I'll try to take this a different way. Part of my approach the rail photography is to document history, and I like to interject a bit of history into my captions whenever I can. That said, I have a lot of shots that are sub-par for one reason or another, and I would never submit them to tell a story. One of my earliest 35mm slides is of a pair of consecutively numbered Erie Lackawanna A-B-B-A sets meeting each other. The light was failing, and I my shutter speed was 1/15th of a second. Needless to say, its soft, and will never see RP, although I may post it on Flickr at some point. The point is, the image unlocks the gate keeping your story from RP. Get a photo with the loco in a better position, and you can unlock the gate for your story.

There of lots of non-wedgie photos on RP, but they're still well-balanced if they violate the ROT. I'm confident that your photo would get on if you crop it like I suggested, I'm just not confident that it is the vehicle that I would use to tell the story. I'm also pretty sure that it won't compel people to read your story.

Well that clears the air up And precisely why I gave up on the pic after the 3rd comp rejection, that location has potential just gonna take a lot stuff working together at the right time to pull it off.
Thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 01:21 AM   #32
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Not to distract from the discussion of the NS photo, but with a slightly tighter crop, mine made it. Most likely some screener roulette, but it is one of my favorite shots that I've taken for some reason.

Image © mtnclimberjoe
Ah it was me that distracted the discussion... I'm glad you got yours on! We all have that "for some reason shot" I feel that way about the one I interrupted the discussion with, I like mine for the why I was there, who was with me and the info I had just gathered, I just didnt get "That" shot to covey it. Another day for me....
Old 06-13-2017, 02:38 AM   #33
troy12n

Quote:
Now you've piqued my interest. What about your compositions that you shared are more compelling than a more "conventional" take on the arrangement of the photo's elements? I'm not saying that you shouldn't break "rules", but doing so has to result in an interesting image.
Yeah, i'm not seeing it either. Exposure is lacking, shadows, etc
Old 06-13-2017, 02:39 AM   #34
troy12n

Quote:

Image © mtnclimberjoe
Yay?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #35
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Yay?
No need to be a dick, some of us enjoy getting our photos on here. You don't see me making snarky comments like that on your threads about 611.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #36
troy12n

Quote:
No need to be a dick, some of us enjoy getting our photos on here. You don't see me making snarky comments like that on your threads about 611.
I'm not trying to be a dick, but I also listen to advice given here and don't try to force things (like that)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #37
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a dick, but I also listen to advice given here and don't try to force things (like that)
The only advice I got in this thread was to go wedgie or crop it down to just those so it could get a bad lighting rejection, neither of which I wanted to do because I wouldn't bother submitting at that point, but that has nothing to do with listening to advice or not. Not sure what you're saying here.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #38
RobJor

The forum used to be a little rougher and I took it personally a couple times but responded with a private message which I think is preferred to getting into an online thing. Now I look at it as part of the scene. The reality is just because an image got accepted does not make it 100% ok with everyone and expressing that opinion is fine with me.

I had a night photo that I mentioned I got on, not to say it was great but to point out going back and working on an old image. It was noted one of the headlights was blueish. I didn't like the comment but now it still bugs me that I did not catch that . The comment was correct and helped me?? I hope.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #39
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
The forum used to be a little rougher and I took it personally a couple times but responded with a private message which I think is preferred to getting into an online thing. Now I look at it as part of the scene. The reality is just because an image got accepted does not make it 100% ok with everyone and expressing that opinion is fine with me.

I had a night photo that I mentioned I got on, not to say it was great but to point out going back and working on an old image. It was noted one of the headlights was blueish. I didn't like the comment but now it still bugs me that I did not catch that . The comment was correct and helped me?? I hope.
Bob, I totally agree and always appreciate helpful comments even after something is accepted. However, Troy's obviously sarcastic and snarky"yay?" does little to help anyone. If any kind of reasoning, helpful comment, or other substance to the opinion was expressed, I'm totally fine with that.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #40
troy12n

Quote:
Bob, I totally agree and always appreciate helpful comments even after something is accepted. However, Troy's obviously sarcastic and snarky"yay?" does little to help anyone. If any kind of reasoning, helpful comment, or other substance to the opinion was expressed, I'm totally fine with that.
Maybe it's a subtle hint that you should work on improving your work and listening to advice.

What so many people were saying if you read between the lines is "give up on this one"...
Old 06-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #41
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Maybe it's a subtle hint that you should work on improving your work and listening to advice.

What so many people were saying if you read between the lines is "give up on this one"...
Well then I'm glad I didn't read between the lines because I really like this shot and was able to have it accepted.