Old 07-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
bgregg

Default Photo Copyright Website(s)

Can anyone direct me to a very good website that explains copyright protection for photo's? I've done a google search but really haven't found a good explanation just yet.

I'm having problems with photo's of mine that are on a website and I want them taken off, but the web-owner has refused to do so.

I'm looking for a link to send him to explain who the ownership of the photo's belong to.

They are nothing that are on this website, as I have none posted.

Thanks for any information
Brian Gregg
bgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
mSummers

Kelby Training just added a new online class on copyright issues. They let you watch the first 3 lessons for free. Here's the link: http://www.kelbytraining.com/online/...k_ed_copyright

I'm not a lawyer, so I may not have all of this correct, but the short version is that while you own all of the rights to your images from the moment that you take them, you can't take anyone to court for copyright infringement without having registered your images with the US Copyright Office (www.copyright.gov). Also, if I remember correctly, there is a limited amount of time that you have after the infringement has occurred to register your work if it hasn't been registered already. The best thing for you to do if they aren't responding to your requests is to contact a lawyer who copyright law.
mSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSummers View Post
I'm not a lawyer, so I may not have all of this correct,
Well, I'm not a lawyer either!

The wiki, not authoritative, of couse, offers a decent overview.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
While you are at it, pop over to the "fair use" page also.

Quote:
The best thing for you to do if they aren't responding to your requests is to contact a lawyer who copyright law.
Absolutely! If budget and potential loss magnitude allow.

Good luck!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
Joe the Photog

Good word of mouth to stay away from that web site also helps. How many times have we seen someone here who links to a Flickr site with our -- not mine, literally, but RP users -- shots on them. Within days, they're usually gone. At the very least, it might cause him a head ache or two, esp. if he's using other photog's work without credit.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
Joey Bowman

Ive never had a problem with my photos being taken in the past, infact, for four years i have been reading threads with similar questions or similar stories about seeing their work on another website. Everything I thought how lucky I was to not see my photos any where else.

About a month ago I came across a video of Tweetsie Railroad that some 14 year old jackass made using a bunch of photos from RP, including 12 or 13 of mine, and another 30 or so from other RP users. Since then I have come across another 4 or 5 videos. Each time I did something different whether it was contacting the person that made the video or just directly reporting it on youtube and having it quickly removed. I do not understand why people want to do things such as that (where is the joy/honor/respect in making a video/slideshow that has photos that are obviously not your own? whats the point?)
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgregg View Post
Can anyone direct me to a very good website that explains copyright protection for photo's? I've done a google search but really haven't found a good explanation just yet.

I'm having problems with photo's of mine that are on a website and I want them taken off, but the web-owner has refused to do so.

I'm looking for a link to send him to explain who the ownership of the photo's belong to.

They are nothing that are on this website, as I have none posted.

Thanks for any information
Brian Gregg
Since the offender refuses to remove the copyrighted content, I would file a DMCA takedown order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_...Limitation_Act

Such an order is filed with the offender's web hosting service. To determine who that is, you'll need to look at the site's name servers. Using this site as an example:

http://whois.domaintools.com/railpictures.net >> Name Server: NS5.EV1SERVERS.NET

(Replace 'railpictures.net' with the url of the offending site.)

Go to http://ev1servers.net (which forwards to theplanet.com) and find the contact for violations. List the urls of all the images you want removed, and include correspondence with the offender showing your previous efforts to have the content removed.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote