Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
randy

Cool Evaluate My Rejects

I could use some help on my latest rejects.

Do we not publish indoor shots of beautifully restored stations? I really don't know. If we do, what does this shot need?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=396155351

This one was dinged for cropping. I thought it was more interesting than the standard wedggie (wedggy? wedgee? ANGLE SHOT!) Is the loco too much in your face?

[http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=809859051[/u]

School is in session. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Mustang11

I think the first one you answered your question. It was well restored but it isn't what they are willing to publish, at least not without something special in it. Plus it is a little soft as well.

The second you cropped too close to the front I believe, and it leaves a lot of open track/platform space that is uninteresting. Leaving a little more of the front and side of the loco would probably have been better.

Oh and I believe it is “wedgie” but someone correct me if I am wrong.

Brian

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

I don't know the answer to your first question, but the picture looks soft and noisy to me. Needs to be sharper. Also, there's a blown out section on the left.

I would agree on the second picture, you probably cut out too much of the engine.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
JRMDC

#1: grand stations are, in some sense, their own subjects. Their appearance by itself makes them interesting.

Nice looking stations need more care in composition. This is nice, but there is empty space, there are odd shadows on the right, there is a blown out wall on the left edge, there is overall softness, and it isn't clear to me that the white balance is right. But mainly it needs composition, an angle that isn't just a random wide angle of the inside of a room.

When the room is "lived in" it will be easier to shoot.

#2: it's a matter of RP vs. good photography. I agree with what was said about open space. But the close cropping of the engine will probably never fly at RP just because that isn't what RP does.

As far as general photography, if anything, sure you could have cropped looser, but you also could have cropped tighter on the left. The small bit of locomotive side pulls the eye off the side of the image.

Also, I'd suggest standing a bit more to the right and get more separation between engine, light post, and distant chimney. A vertical of that shot might be interesting; all the action is on the left.

Just one set of suggestions if you wish to pursue the non-RP sort of cropping. I'm no expert at it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Go back to the station and do a "do over." I've never been there, so I can't tell you how to shoot or what to shoot, but make the shot more interesting and more visually appealing. Right now, I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.

They do take shots of the inside of restored depots.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

The second shot is a bad crop. Again, what are we supposed to be looking at?

Joe
Old 11-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
Ween

Randy,

Thie first one is soft as was mentioned and looks a little reddish (at least on the monitor I'm on right now...which, BTW, usually doesn't show reds all that well).

I like the color of the sky in the second one, but there's just too much of the Metrolink unit cut off. If I'm going to cut off the lead unit, I'll try and keep as much in as I can so it fits the overall balance of the shot, kinda like:

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 186093
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 185680

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 157833
Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
I could use some help on my latest rejects.

Do we not publish indoor shots of beautifully restored stations? I really don't know. If we do, what does this shot need?
"We" do if it's done 'right' (subjective but still).
Quote:
"A snack bar to serve Amtrak and Metrolink customers will soon fill. . ."
I'd wait until that is up and running and go for it again until than try to include more of the benches and go for something different than the "average person's angle".

Quote:
This one was dinged for cropping. I thought it was more interesting than the standard wedggie (wedggy? wedgee? ANGLE SHOT!) Is the loco too much in your face?
What are "we" looking at exactly. There is no set subject and my brain doesn't really feel like finding one right now. Try to focus on something (sometimes not literally) and experiment. It seems like you wanted the wells to be the focus? but than again the Metrolink nose to be? I don't exactly know how to give advice on this one other than include more of the Metrolink if its the subject. Is it moving? Is the other moving? Tell a story don't show a picture. EDIT: Just read the caption. I think vertical was the way to go, the two right wells are not needed, IMO.

I apologize for the bluntness, but there is cleaning that must get done! Haha

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 11-21-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
randy

Red face

"Thanks for the input," he whined insincerely, tail tucked between his legs.

Points taken on the station shot. With the need to use light coming through windows on both sides it's tough avoid some blown out areas. I thought it would be better to see it in its pristine condition, before the public scarred it again. I was already planning to go back to get better exterior shots.

The object in the second photo was to contrast the "Metrolink" sign on the loco with the "Santa Fe" sign on the stack. I thought the caption would help with that. I offered to move the loco up a few feet, but my generous help was refused. I'll go back and see if I can crop the whole shot to the left and get more loco and less of the stackers.

Me and my lumps will try again!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #9
NSFan14

Here I did some editing with your photo and personally I like the B&W effect. Maybe you might wanna try to do this with your photo

But then again it may get rejected for the same reason.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:45 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
The object in the second photo was to contrast the "Metrolink" sign on the loco with the "Santa Fe" sign on the stack. I thought the caption would help with that.
One of the things a telephoto lens does is compress distances, narrowing the apparent gap between near and far. The Santa Fe smokestack is mighty small. Try stepping back as far as you can and shoot with the strongest tele you have, and then get the Metrolink and Santa Fe into the image. Hopefully the Santa Fe will be larger and more noticeable.

In my personal opinion, a caption should not make the image; the image should not be a treasure hunt. (Exaggeration in those last two words, but I hope you see my point.)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #11
randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Here I did some editing with your photo and personally I like the B&W effect. Maybe you might wanna try to do this with your photo. But then again it may get rejected for the same reason.
I like the B&W, too, but it doesn't change the reasons for the rejection. I've had others hit for softness. I need to work on focus. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by randy; 11-22-2007 at 12:03 AM.
randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #12
randy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
In my personal opinion, a caption should not make the image; the image should not be a treasure hunt. (Exaggeration in those last two words, but I hope you see my point.)
I don't think every aspect of every photo will be obvious. A caption might *occasionally* help. But, in general, I think you are right.

The telephoto advice is right on. One more thing to keep in mind when setting up a shot. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:52 AM   #13
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

I've found that if you want to include the cab of an engine, I'd try and leave at least leave either the entire cab in photo, or compose to the rear of the front truck. This is at least in terms of looking nice.
Image © Mike W.
PhotoID: 171793
Photograph © Mike W.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote