Old 12-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
randy

Question Is this over processing?

The day after I bought a graduated neutal density filter Elements magazine arrived with a story of how to achieve the same effect in post-processing. Would this constitute "manipualtion?"

Someone suggested that post-processing should only be to make the photo look like the eye saw. I like that philosophy. My eyes are still smater than my camera, even if the rest of my brain is lagging behind the technology!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
The day after I bought a graduated neutal density filter Elements magazine arrived with a story of how to achieve the same effect in post-processing. Would this constitute "manipualtion?"
You can achieve the same effect to a degree. But nothing is going to save blown out objects due to overexposure that an ND filter would have avoided. And no, I don't think it's overprocessing if you're trying to make the scene look as true-to-life as possible.

Quote:
Someone suggested that post-processing should only be to make the photo look like the eye saw. I like that philosophy.
I'd like to take credit for that sentiment, but I'm sure others here have expressed that as well.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote