Old 12-22-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
randy

Unhappy Rejection: Help!

I'd like for y'all to help me with a reject, but I can't even figure out how to post a link to a reject.

Please educate me on that first.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

In the rejection e-mail you received, there should be a link to the photo.

Simply cut & paste the link into your post here in the forums. Just in case you don't know how to do that part.

Use your mouse, click and hold the left mouse button and drag the cursor across the entire link so it's highlighted. You can then right click and then click "copy". Then go to your post and right click again then click "Paste".

The hot keys for Copy are (CTRL C) and Paste is (CTRL V)

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
randy

I knew that!

Ok, here it is:

- Bad Cropping (Edges): There are visible scan edges, slide frames, etc. in the uploaded image.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=460534&key=0

I don't see it. Educate me. Again.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

Randy,

This one is easily fixed. Look at the very top of the picture. See that white line? Crop that out.

Nice shot, by the way.

Charles
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Very top of the photo, there is a white line that needs to be cropped out. There are other issues with this shot that might not keep it out of the database, but that keeps it from being as good as it could be. I think there are probably better locations to shoot out there without resorting to wedgies of GE wide nose BNSF H2s with poles sticking out of the top and shadows encroaching on the side of the second unit.

Joe
Old 12-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
Mike B.
Banned

It looks soft or maybe just out of focus. Too bad it wasn't actually a train.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
randy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Very top of the photo, there is a white line that needs to be cropped out. There are other issues with this shot that might not keep it out of the database, but that keeps it from being as good as it could be. I think there are probably better locations to shoot out there without resorting to wedgies of GE wide nose BNSF H2s with poles sticking out of the top and shadows encroaching on the side of the second unit.

Joe
Thanks for the help, but you missed the crane sticking out the right side like training wheels, the palm trees sticking out of a container, and those distracting snow-covered mountains in the background.

I still like the shot, whether the screeners do or not. I'll keep searching for the perfect shot and I'll take the best opportunities I get in the mean time.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
It looks soft or maybe just out of focus. Too bad it wasn't actually a train.
Is it only a train if it's moving? I'll look at the focus again.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

Randy,

It was rejected for the white line on top. If you like the picture, crop that out and resubmit. (I like it.)

Charles
Old 12-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
Is it only a train if it's moving? I'll look at the focus again.

Thanks
It's light power that's parked. In my book that doesn't qualify as an actual train.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
It's light power that's parked. In my book that doesn't qualify as an actual train.
Since when do three engines with a bunch of boxcars tied on qualify as light power?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Since when do three engines with a bunch of boxcars tied on qualify as light power?
Huh, well I'm retarded.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #13
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
Thanks for the help, but you missed the crane sticking out the right side like training wheels, the palm trees sticking out of a container, and those distracting snow-covered mountains in the background.

I still like the shot, whether the screeners do or not. I'll keep searching for the perfect shot and I'll take the best opportunities I get in the mean time.
If you want to be a smart aleck, go ahead. The crane does not distract in my opinion and the palm trees are far enough back not to be a distraction either. The mountain comment you made was frankly just stupid. But that light pole sticking out of the very top of the first engine is distracting to me. Furthermore, it would have been real easy to shoot around that in the field by stepping to your right a hair, stooping down atad or even stepping to the left and getting the entire pole in teh shot.

The shadow on thesecond engine is almost as distracting as the pole. Now you asked for our opinions here. Don't get irritated when we give them to you.

Joe
Old 12-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

Looking up at the first post with a link in it, he did not ask for a critique. He asked for an explination of the rejection, which was confusing because it indicated a scan of a slide, when he had submitted a digital image.

Same thing happened to me once a few months ago, so I know how it feels. I asked a very specific question and had a bunch of guys jump on telling me all the things wrong with my photo, even though I wanted to know why the scan appeared uncrisp (in other words, what was wrong with the way it was scanned).

Last edited by Freericks; 12-22-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #15
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Perhaps he needs educating that when a thread is posted they sometimes take a life of their own.

Joe
Old 12-22-2007, 11:26 PM   #16
randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I think there are probably better locations to shoot out there without resorting to wedgies of GE wide nose BNSF H2s with poles sticking out of the top and shadows encroaching on the side of the second unit.
My reaction was because it sounded like your argument was with the screeners for considering what you thought was a poor photo. When they ban wedgies I'll stop submitting them. They are rather common and, perhaps, only good for a moments enjoyment before moving on or to be ignored completely. Eventually I'll get to some of those places where something else is available.

Vis-a-vis the mountain comment, it would be a mistake to confuse hyperbole with stupidity.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #17
randy

Quote:
Actually I watched that one pull in, probably directly from Cajon Pass, and then pull out later. One reason I took the shot from where I did is that earlier another train passed WB on the track to the left without any warning. That's about a close as thought is was safe to be. I was about to pull the trigger on this shot. I got them both, but I don't know yet if it will be submitted.