Old 03-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
musson

Default What time do they go by.

I want to photograph some Norfolk Southern freight trains. How do I figure out when they will go by my location (Hillsborough NC)?

Thanks!
musson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
JimThias

Tomorrow at 8:35 am. Go out to the tracks and take a look.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
musson

Default Ok thanks!

So how did you find that info? Is there a timetable somewhere?
musson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Not very many NS trains on the railroad you live along. I think you may see 2 locals per day along with 1-2 other misc through freights. amtrak and NCdot would be your best options, as they have published schedules. The NS freights do not.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Decapod401

I worked in Hillsborough from 2007 - 2009, and our conference room had a window that overlooked the tracks. At that time, there was usually an eastbound between 1 and 2 in the afternoon, but that was 5 years ago, and traffic patterns can change.

I really can't think of any worthwhile locations to photograph in Hillsborough, as the line is tight with lots of trees. My suggestion is to go 45 minutes west to Greensboro and look for locations along the former Southern main line. You will see quite a few more trains there. If you want to stay on the line through Hillsborough go from Mebane west or Durham east for better locations.

Doug L.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
CSX1702

They usually go by when you're asleep and there's generally a lull when you're trying to photograph. At least for me anyways.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by musson View Post
I want to photograph some Norfolk Southern freight trains. How do I figure out when they will go by my location (Hillsborough NC)?

Thanks!
There are a pair of road trains 349/350, 351/352. All typically run through your area in the evening. 349 and 350 run daily. The other pair, four days a week. Additionally, there is local, P07 that runs midday. There are also occasional unit trains - a few a week that run randomly.

Then, there are the three pair of Amtrak trains.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I worked in Hillsborough from 2007 - 2009, and our conference room had a window that overlooked the tracks. At that time, there was usually an eastbound between 1 and 2 in the afternoon, but that was 5 years ago, and traffic patterns can change.

I really can't think of any worthwhile locations to photograph in Hillsborough, as the line is tight with lots of trees. My suggestion is to go 45 minutes west to Greensboro and look for locations along the former Southern main line. You will see quite a few more trains there. If you want to stay on the line through Hillsborough go from Mebane west or Durham east for better locations.

Doug L.
+1 for Greensboro!
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote