Old 07-02-2014, 02:33 AM   #1
ShortlinesUSA

Default More traffic for the Lancaster & Chester

Looks like the Chester end will get even busier with the addition of this major new customer:

http://www.progressiverailroading.co...arolina--40912

The L&C has certainly proved to be a good investment for Gulf & Ohio Railways so far...

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

I'm just wondering how much traffic it will generate. I'm not familiar with tire makers, but I believe the Michelin plant near me in Lexington on the NS does not have a spur. Although Giti did make the announcement from the "L&C" room at the Chester county economic development offices.

There is also another chemical plant being built on the L&C that should come online in six months or so, I'm guessing, between Richburg & Circle S. Purported to have two spurs going in. And someone has landed in one of the old Springs warehouses in Fort Lawn and are getting 50 foot box cars! Very neat to see boxes lining the old warehouses again
Old 01-23-2015, 01:13 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

Update: Contract for the initial grading work at the Giti Tire plant was recently awarded and they expect work to begin shortly.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:08 AM   #4
Joe the Photog

Aside from Giti Tire, the new transfer facility down Hwy. 9 a bit toward Circle S is coming along nicely. A propane facility is also coming to Pleasant Hill (on the old Southern line) that is supposed to be pretty big and there are hints that something else may be rolling soon, too.

Ground breaking on Giti is Feb. 12.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:30 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

I'm hearing unconfirmed word that the L&C are getting some SD40-2Ts. I don't know if they're coming from the Yadkin Valley. I need to hit up a few of my sources, but I'm healing from two more surgeries and am taking it easy. I was told the power would be there pretty soon.

Giti Tire is evidently coming along fast. One estimate has 1500 people working to get it built. The last time I was in Richburg, you can't see anything from public roads for the trees. One report I saw says they hope to be open for business by the end of this year.

There's also a new industry clearing land near the CSX interchange and possibly another one coming near Circle S. I'll try to find more information on both of these.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:19 AM   #6
ShortlinesUSA

Good info, Joe, and thank you for posting during your recovery (and hope you're doing well!).

I have heard G&O has a pair of 6-axles to send to the L&C, but I'm just not sure what. Unless the YVRR's traffic has really fallen off, they don't have much to send to the L&C. Their 6-sxles power the road freights, while a handful of 4-axles handle the locals.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

It turns out my guess was partially right. L&C SD40-2T #6002 was photographed in Knoxville recently and shared to Facebook today. It is sporting fresh L&C blue with complete decals. But this is where it gets crazy. It's coupled to another unit also in fresh L&C paint, L&C C40-8S #9146. (That doesn't even look right as I type it.) it's the former UP 9146. The S indicates it's a slug unit, but I hear all of the insides are intact.

Word is there is at least one more SD40-2 coming. Strange days indeed
Old 03-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #8
ShortlinesUSA

That is certainly an interesting duo, no doubt. I can't help but wonder if something else is in play with this larger power. How is traffic on the NS line between Charlotte and Columbia via Rock Hill? Is this something NS could divert 337/338 away from via Spartanburg? WARNING: I did take Nyquil last night, and may still be a bit loopy....

Old 03-03-2016, 03:59 AM   #9
Joe the Photog

I think it's odd they'd get six axle power. Giti Tire is around the 13 mile marker going off the top of my head. Circle S is at MM17, not far from Chester. They probably would not take them on the Kershaw Branch. I could have seen some of the Canadian National type GP40-2s like the Yadkin Valley uses.

The NS R line sees the same trains as they have for years with some Wateree coal trains and Augusta ethanol trains thrown in. NS could theoretically move 337/338 to the W line, but that line is actually seeing more trains now.

So even though I didn't take NyQuil, I did take two Percocets, so keep that in mind as you read this. I don't know how busy Giti Tire will be railroad wise. But since the railroad sold them the most prized piece of real estate on the line, I assume it will be a big customer. One article I read said they would use containers to import and export out of Charleston which leads us to the possibility of intermodal on the L&C.

So it occurred to me that NS might let the L&C bring the cars to Rock Hill. Chester can already get crowded already and the locals like to complain. But of course you don't need six axle power to get to Rock Hill.

So then I thought, What if the L&C takes them to Columbia instead of Rock Hill? Now that could be interesting.

Then I also wondered if It might be of interest to both railroads to let the L&C get into Rock Hill via the SB line for the Kershaw traffic.

Oh, well. Enough speculation. We'll know soon enough. The new power should be here soon and I understand it'll be used starting off taking grain trains to Circle S
Old 04-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

I was told by a reliable source that the 9146 and 6002 should have left Knoxville this past Sunday, but no one has seen them along the S Line or R Line or the yards along the way. I don't know if they will suddenly pop up in Chester her shortly or if we'll find out they never left Knoxville. Selfishly, I'm hoping they are delayed until May so I can shoot them first.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #11
ShortlinesUSA

That is not out of the realm of reality when Class 1 railroads are shipping shortline locomotives...

Old 04-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #12
ShortlinesUSA

Joe, L&C 94 was spotted yesterday on Q603-05 through Folkston, GA. Any idea where that one is off to?

Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
Joe the Photog

It's been sold to the Florida Central. That leaves them with just the three SW900s. 92 is OOS, and 91 is still at Circle S leaving 90 in regular service. Although they do have a G&O SW1500.

And it turns out the 6002 and 9146 are still at KLW in Knoxville
Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #14
ShortlinesUSA

Good info, Joe. With that tidbit, I was also able to determine KLW is getting Florida Central CF7 63 in return. It will likely be some sort of rebuild fodder.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #15
troy12n

Just a heads up, those Florida Central CF7's are worn out, good luck with that.

I dont know why Florida Central wants a switcher, who knows what they are up to, but their GP9's and GP18's more than handle the little traffic they get. All their CF7's are junk though, mostly stored too.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #16
Joe the Photog

I'm sure the CF7 frame is mostly what they want to build one of their green locomotives.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #17
Joe the Photog

Unofficially, this is what I have seen on the L&C since my return to Lancaster -- GPs 2829, 3820 and 3821 are assigned to the Lancaster trai

GPs 2273, 2268 and 2866 are assigned to the Chester train

Knoxville & Holston River SW1500 2242 is assigned to the wye when it runs. I've seen them use 2866 here, too. This one is in G&O black

SW900 90 is in the shop and may soon be shipped out to another G&O road. SW900 91 remains leased to Circle S and SW900 92 is stored OOS in Lancaster

The L&C SD40-2T 6002 and C40-8S 9146 are still in Knoxville. There's another six axle power said to be coming after the 6002 and 9146.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #18
ShortlinesUSA

Good run down, Joe. 6002/9146 should have left Knoxville yesterday.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:22 AM   #19
Joe the Photog

Thanks, Mike. They were dropped off in Chester by NS 337 today. My son and I caught them there as well as coming through Rock Hill
Old 05-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #20
ShortlinesUSA

That might be a new record for quickest delivery of a shortline locomotive by a Class 1 ever...

Old 06-03-2016, 04:04 AM   #21
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
That might be a new record for quickest delivery of a shortline locomotive by a Class 1 ever...
I was thinking along the same lines. The irony is that they may not be used for a while as the railroad does some work to get the track ready.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #22
Joe the Photog

Upon delivery by NS 337

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

And then two shots by Reginald McDowell after they were moved later that week

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 11-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #23
Joe the Photog

I learned after it ran that the L&C moved a grain train to Circle S using run through NS power last week. It was three big wide cab NS GEs units along with the new six axle power the L&C has. I'm waiting for another grain train to see if they do this again and hoping I get a heads up this time!

They're now using former NPBL #2369, an MP15DC, that was bought at the recent auction by the G&O. And they're replacing a lot of ties on the original line past Circle S to Lancaster. Has me wondering if there is something in the works. Haven't seen any work on the SB Line, but I may be missing it. I plan a recon trip down to Kershaw to look for any signs of work.

It may be simply they are working on the part of the line that sees the propane cars going down to Pleasant Hill.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 11-23-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #24
ShortlinesUSA

Thanks for the report, Joe. This is a trend with unit trains delivered to shortlines-- keep the Class 1 power. It would otherwise sit at the junction or run light back to a nearby terminal, so it does make sense to just keep it with the train. Most of the Class 1s have a stipulation on how quickly the shortline must turn the train around, as well. Some even deliver the train with all power on the head end and require the shortline to set up the power in DPU for the outbound train.

Good to hear things are humming along on the L&C. You have posted some nice shots of the operation recently, too.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:17 AM   #25
Joe the Photog

The Giti Tire is hiring a lot of people. It's located on a tract of land where it cannot be seen from the road. One of these days, I'll drive down to see what I can see, although I suspect that won't be much railroad wise. The railroad would come up from the other side of the plant and my understanding is the Phase 1 was always planned to open without railroad access.

With that said, a new company has moved into an old textile mill in Lancaster. MAKROchem, a supplier of carbon black for the rubber and tire industry, is investing $7.5 million in its first U.S. distribution facility, creating 20 jobs in Lancaster. I went by this past weekend and saw three new spurs going in. They will ship cars out to Giti Tire, but it's possible some will ship offline, too. Nice to see Lancaster getting some new rail business. First was the propane facility in Pleasent Hill.