Old 08-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
Cameraman

Default Oregon Coastal Branchlines

I have an upcoming week of vacation, 2nd week of October. I had originally thought to go to the Dakota's and NEB. After talking with the folks at a National Park in the area my week may be to late in the season for this trip.

Plan B is Oregon. I have some good magazine articles on some of the G&W lines in Oregon.

What became of the coastal branches in Oregon? SP had the lines to Tillamook and Toledo what is the current state of those? Where their any others?

What else is in Oregon to not forget to research? As with all these trips trains are not 100 percent the focus, so nearby National Parks get plus points.
Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
JRMDC

National Parks? Crater Lake.

My work is done here.

Seriously, beautiful place: http://www.craterlaketrust.org/

For a different sort of thing, the Oregon Shakespeare Festival is one of the best of its kind.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
NorthWest

Hello,
It's kind of hard to say what will go on as it seems to change so frequently...

CORP to Coos Bay is still in operation; how frequently, I don't know. The line to Tillamook has been severed since 2007, but the gorgeous Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad operates steam on part of the line. I don't know if Portland and Western is currently running out to Toledo or not.

Other spots include the ascent of the Natron Cutoff southeast of Eugene, (which has suffered tree growth and is difficult to access but busy and beautiful) and the spectacular Columbia River Gorge.

Sorry I can't offer much, but I hope this helps.
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
ShortlinesUSA

Coos Bay now operated by the Coos Bay Rail Link, with trains running 2-3 days per week M-F

P&W Toledo Hauler still very much a going concern and worthy of a visit. This recent Trainorders thread details operations. From what I have seen there, the eastbound on Sundays is the one you want to go for, because it runs in daylight for almost the entire trip, whereas other days leave much earlier and make a good portion of the run in darkness.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussio....php?1,4103602

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote