Old 07-29-2017, 01:11 AM   #1
NorthWest

Unhappy TSA Now Requires Cameras Removed From Bags

...which also includes all lenses and external flashes. This is going to be a huge headache...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/371828...ng-for-cameras
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:20 AM   #2
Noct Foamer

I don't think it will be that big of a deal. However, consider a flight I did four years ago to Chicago. I took a digital camera, a couple of lenses, and eight flash plus eight triggers, LOL. That included eight wires (sync cords,) and something like 52 AA batteries. TSA people didn't bat an eye either direction. My flight last spring was a little more "intense" though. Something caught their eye about my Osprey backpack, and they pulled me over. They pulled out five rounds of .30-06 ammo and said, "We'll have to confiscate these." Oh yeah, last time I used the pack was during deer season last fall. Good thing the airport was in South Dakota, where this sort of thing isn't uncommon.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:50 AM   #3
bigbassloyd

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck

Best 85 bucks you'll ever spend if you fly more than once every couple years.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #4
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

I ran into this on my way home from Europe a couple of weeks ago. Made me glad that digital has allowed me to simplify my kit and all I had was one camera and one lens (and the lens was on the camera). So it was no big deal. But back in the old days with two camera bodies, multiple lenses, not to mention film in lead bags, it could have been a real pain. Overall I do not find security to be a big problem because I have learned to expect it and be prepared for it. Only occasionally do I have an errant tube of toothpaste or a loaded gun that I had forgotten about. I'm joking about the gun, but I actually did have a friend who forgot about his pistol and TSA was not happy with him. That led to some legal problems that were definitely an inconvenience.

Last edited by John West; 07-30-2017 at 09:16 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
KevinM

If you travel frequently, you may already be on the TSA Precheck list even if you've never formally signed up or paid for the program. I'm not formally in the TSA Precheck program, but I fly (on airlines) 6-8 trips per year, which these days represents 24-32 actual flights. I can't remember when was the last time my boarding pass didn't say "TSA PRE" on it. Perhaps TSA has finally figured out that I'm no threat to airplanes. I have been flying them myself for 36 years and have yet to scratch one.

Unfortunately, being in TSA PRE does not guarantee that you won't still get hassled. On several occasions, I have been singled out for enhanced screening, which they claim is either totally random, or because they saw something odd in your bag on x-ray. In those situations, I was no better off in TSA PRE than I would have been in a regular line, particularly if they decided to rummage through my bag....which is how they do it. Some agents aren't particularly careful. Often, the wait to have your bag rummaged can be pretty long.

My ultimate in TSA hassle stories occurred about a dozen years back. A friend of mine and I are members of a 501 C 3 organization and were selected to travel to the Cessna Plant in Kansas to pick up a brand new airplane and fly it to its new home in New England. At our departure airport, a TSA Agent noticed that two apparently unrelated guys were traveling together on one-way tickets and carrying lots of what appeared to be flight gear. We also had military-style uniforms in our bags. Needless to say, we were taken to a private room and very thoroughly searched, right down to the individual contents of our survival kits. Fortunately, I had taken all of the knives, etc. out of mine. We were finally allowed to get on the airplane. Our flight connection was in Kansas City, which was (and still is) an airport right out of the 1960s. Unlike most airports at the time, to connect with another flight at MKC, you had to go BACK through screening. As my buddy and I stood there in the screening line, I spied two TSA Agents coming down the hall, still some distance away. I turned to my buddy and said "Skip, they're coming for us." He laughed....but they were. They called us by name and off we went for another private session in a back room nearby. I would have thought that with all of the food items I had squirreled away in my gear that they would have figured out that I wasn't planning on killing myself anytime soon, but apparently, they weren't thinking that deeply.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I would have thought that with all of the food items I had squirreled away in my gear that they would have figured out that I wasn't planning on killing myself anytime soon, but apparently, they weren't thinking that deeply.
Kevin, all the competent terrorists know the food stash diversion trick!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Red face Regarding TSA Pre-check

This was posted on the United Airlines site some time ago:

"As of February 2017, TSA will significantly reduce access to TSA Pre✓ expedited screening for non-enrolled travelers. TSA strongly recommends that you enroll in a DHS Trusted Traveler program such as TSA Pre✓, Global Entry, NEXUS or SENTRI to obtain access to expedited airport security screening."

I used to generally get Pre-check because of my frequent flier status, but that is no longer the case, at least not regularly. That said, I was never impressed with Pre-check, it often had long lines and was not significantly faster, mainly due to poor organization and confusion. But perhaps that was just at the airports I frequent, and maybe it will become more organized over time.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
troy12n

I traveled this past week and didn't have any issues, nor was I required to remove my camera from my bag. Granted, I did not have ALL my gear, just one body and one lens.

I was hassled relentlessly about my CPAP machine though
Old 08-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Now we have the CPAP diversion trick.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:42 PM   #10
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Now we have the CPAP diversion trick.
The only reason it was in my carry-on is because my checked bag was over 50 pounds and rather than screw with removing articles of folded clothing, I just grabbed it, which was on top, because I knew that would put me under weight...
Old 08-26-2017, 03:50 AM   #11
KevinM

I flew out of KBOS last week, which is one of the airports that has the new screening rules. I was carrying a Think Tank Airport Commuter backpack with 3 bodies, 3 lenses, including an 80-400 (beast). I asked the TSA guys if I could just open the top of that bag and put it through x-ray without taking everything out of it. Other than foam padding, there was nothing below each piece of gear and of course, with the top open, there was absolutely nothing above. That worked just fine and there were no undue hassles. As much as I don't like backpacks, that Think Tank bag was one of the best investments I've made. It will hold a lot more than I was carrying on this trip. On the trip home, I got TSA PRE on my boarding pass and there were no hassles at all.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:10 AM   #12
JimThias

I flew two weeks ago. Nothing had changed from any other time I'd flown in the past few years. At no time was I asked to remove my camera gear from my backpack that went through security.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
bigbassloyd

I'm going to CES in January. I'll see how much I get picked on.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote