Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default At last! Finally found a decent shot in-town, what do you think?

Taking a stroll up the bridge that connects my hometown and the town across the river, I was trying to take photos through the fence. Well I found a hole cut in the fence the size to fit a lens through. It was also spraypainted. I don't know who did it but my two guesses are drunken idiots or a railfan who couldn't bear the fence.
It's low to the walkway, probably to conceal it from the cops, but surely they know. That's one fear of shoving my camera through said hole, I don't want to be accused and thrown in the slammer.
But wow, this shot is nice in my opinion. (Spoiler: I'm a noob)

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/541b...9d929ffe8f.jpg
(It's cropped 16:9 because I needed a fast replacement desktop wallpaper, this would not be the case in a submitted photo, unless I possibly 16:10 it.)

A cloud came along and ruined this, so I'm not going to bother submitting it. What are your opinions on this shot? Is it worth trying again for?
Waiting 1:30 (Hours:Minutes) for a train to come and having a cloud ruin the lighting is a bummer, but it happens. At least I have something new to try.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

That might be a decent shot if it was lit properly
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

That would be like this (Appx. 4:00-4:35PM)
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/5770...3651eeac8d.jpg
Also with the 16:10 crop I'd use.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
Insert_Name_Here
Member
 
Insert_Name_Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
That would be like this (Appx. 4:00-4:35PM)
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/5770...3651eeac8d.jpg
Also with the 16:10 crop I'd use.
Not a fan of the train being cut off in the background. Loose some of the boring foreground for more in the background.

Also...the train will be side lit this time of year there according to suncalc. Later in the afternoon/evening would be more desirable.
Insert_Name_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,777
Default

Try and get more of the rock cliffs above and less industrial wasteland. Its a nice location, just wait for a day with no clouds if thats possible this time of year.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Try and get more of the rock cliffs above and less industrial wasteland. Its a nice location, just wait for a day with no clouds if thats possible this time of year.
How would I be able to do that without cutting off the train?
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #7
Insert_Name_Here
Member
 
Insert_Name_Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
How would I be able to do that without cutting off the train?
Shoot it head on....
Insert_Name_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #8
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Name_Here View Post
Shoot it head on....
Guess this location is out of the question as I cannot do that. I guess that's why the hole was left abandoned.
The fence is too high and gets in the way no matter what, even with the lens zoomed in at 135mm and in the dead center of a cell. The cells are too small.
Oh well, had some hopes for this one. The rest of what I can do in this town is too boring.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Guess this location is out of the question as I cannot do that. I guess that's why the hole was left abandoned.
The fence is too high and gets in the way no matter what, even with the lens zoomed in at 135mm and in the dead center of a cell. The cells are too small.
Oh well, had some hopes for this one. The rest of what I can do in this town is too boring.
Image © Scooter Hovanec
PhotoID: 333355
Photograph © Scooter Hovanec


Other people have found ways to shoot it. Also, there are some interesting angles of the URR on the other side of that bridge.

BTW, if you have a problem with photo holes its best you don't do much more railfanning anywhere else Pittsburgh...
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Is this, by any chance, better than the original shot providing it was in focus and the lighting was better (it was a quick experiment which explains the out of focus and lighting issues)

That's at full zoom with my walkaround.
The shot with the mill in the background looks very tricky lighting wise. It would be an easy hit or miss because the Mon Sub is usually dead.
If this doesn't cut the rope, this location isn't worth fighting for, and I'll probably be stuck with uncreative, boring wedgies until I may get a vehicle.
Which means no RailPictures Accepted photos for me.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #11
Insert_Name_Here
Member
 
Insert_Name_Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Is this, by any chance, better than the original shot providing it was in focus and the lighting was better (it was a quick experiment which explains the out of focus and lighting issues)

That's at full zoom with my walkaround.
The shot with the mill in the background looks very tricky lighting wise. It would be an easy hit or miss because the Mon Sub is usually dead.
If this doesn't cut the rope, this location isn't worth fighting for, and I'll probably be stuck with uncreative, boring wedgies until I may get a vehicle.
Which means no RailPictures Accepted photos for me.
Evidently not if Freddy Shook was able to get this photo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 921403_367028866731059_1866761789_o.jpg (292.8 KB, 152 views)
Insert_Name_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

This is the next best thing I have to it. This is after cropping the center of the sensor due to fence lines.

I don't know how Freddy was able to capture that much action of the train. Either that fence was just installed. or I'm missing a camera hole. (Or he cropped it as I did)
Also some trees have grown in for the summer, so you can't see that much of the train bending the curve.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
I don't know how Freddy was able to capture that much action of the train. Either that fence was just installed. or I'm missing a camera hole. (Or he cropped it as I did)
Probably used a step ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
I'll probably be stuck with uncreative, boring wedgies until I may get a vehicle.
http://www.portauthority.org/rt/56.pdf
http://www.portauthority.org/rt/59.pdf

"The old fashion way"
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Probably used a step ladder.
That seems very unlikely with the size that fence is. It's a popular Suicide Bridge. People ruining their lives have ruined our photos. (The old fence had larger cells and wasn't nearly as tall)
Of course if I stand on the side of the road, the other side is wide open. Nothing really special there but a run-down town.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
That seems very unlikely with the size that fence is. It's a popular Suicide Bridge. People ruining their lives have ruined our photos. (The old fence had larger cells and wasn't nearly as tall)
Of course if I stand on the side of the road, the other side is wide open. Nothing really special there but a run-down town.
Unless they have replaced the fence in the last three month, I would say its very likely as I did it myself
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #16
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

I'm in shock... How tall was that fence?
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

Dude, just shoot the pictures. Stop worrying if railpics will accept your shot from this location and validate you as a photographer!
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Dude, just shoot the pictures. Stop worrying if railpics will accept your shot from this location and validate you as a photographer!
Oh I was going to because I love the shot personally. I take many non-rail pics worthy shots for a personal collection that I'm going to start posting on my site.

I just thought it would be nice enough, but to each his own as they say.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #19
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

For example, just got this today.

I already know I'd get pegged for bad lightning and high noise. Probably PEQ too.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #20
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
For example, just got this today.

I already know I'd get pegged for bad lightning and high noise. Probably PEQ too.
Something like that would never get on here. I think you understand that.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #21
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Exactly, which is why I did not even bother trying.
No whining, moaning, fighting about it not getting accepted, just throw it in that folder and keep going
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #22
PLEzero
Senior Member
 
PLEzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Probably used a step ladder.
That's what I used for this photo of Amtrak in Homewood.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plezero/9357335043/
__________________
Brad Morocco
Candyland, PA
My Flickr Photos
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
That's what I used for this photo of Amtrak in Homewood.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plezero/9357335043/
Nice catch!

Today, I found a way to shoot on the bridge without a hole. The fence is raised just far enough off the concrete to shove your camera under it. Zoom in to about 75mm+, and you get something like this.

__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile

Last edited by Elitewolf135; 07-25-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #24
adickson
Senior Member
 
adickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central NC
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
For example, just got this today.

I already know I'd get pegged for bad lightning and high noise. Probably PEQ too.
You get the color fixed and bump up the contrast it may have a chance. People LOVE double rainbows.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI
__________________
Anthony Dickson
www.vidivides.com
www.flickr.com/photos/adickson87/
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #25
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Nice catch!

Today, I found a way to shoot on the bridge without a hole. The fence is raised just far enough off the concrete to shove your camera under it. Zoom in to about 75mm+, and you get something like this.
Aside from the crappy YN2 leader, you have a winner!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.