Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 PM   #101
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

I was mistaken! I do have a PCA Vote from last week.

I love the lighting, composition, contrast, and everything else. This shot is one of my favorites.

Image © John Benner
PhotoID: 247238
Photograph © John Benner
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #102
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSditch
Not at all. Counts are accurate, since only unique views are counted. See here: http://www.railpictures.net/unique/
In terms of views by seperate individuals, they aren't accurate at all. "Unique" only represents ONE day of viewing. That's the point I was making. 100 people could look at the same picture 100 days in a row, and the next thing you know that photo has 10,000 views. I realize that example is extreme, but I've got to expect that there are plenty of others out there like me who look at the same photo several times over the course of a week.

That, my friend, is why the viewcount can be and IS misleading.

Last edited by JimThias; 08-20-2008 at 09:33 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #103
J Douglas Moore
Senior Member
 
J Douglas Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: "It's a dry heat" Arizona
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
J, in the grand scheme of things (one of those things being compared to the great photographers of the past as was done earlier), it IS a simple little award. Yes, it's an honor, but it's still just a simple little award. It doesn't get you anything but a pat on the back, and it's certainly no proof that your image is better than the hundreds/thousands of others that were submitted in the same time period. It's just for pure entertainment purposes, that's all.

I think it's a fun thing that we can vote for photos that we think are great. I do it all the time, but you also shouldn't let winning one go to your head. After all, it's just a simple little award on a website that a minute fraction of the people who browse the internet will ever see.
LOL........... I havnt won so it hasnt gone to my head....... YET!! Jim, your setting your sights too low......... I think more people see these photos than you may think........... Ad agencies searching out material, etc.... Anyway, it really doesnt matter in the overall scheme of things........... As far as photography goes I am a rank amatuer (very rank you may say) and consider myself fortunite to have been able to take some decent shots...... You know, right place, right time............. Given the talent I have seen on this sight, I would feel honored to have a photo chosen........... Man, I am happy just to have my photo "Favored" by someone............

J Doug
__________________

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #104
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore
Jim, your setting your sights too low......Man, I am happy just to have my photo "Favored" by someone............
Well, talk about someone setting their sights to low! Come on, J, you've got to have more confidence in yourself than that!

p.s. I just favored one of your photos.

Last edited by JimThias; 08-20-2008 at 11:00 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #105
Carl Becker
Senior Member
 
Carl Becker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
I really don't care about the data most of the time. I think it is needed and nice to have but besides location and maybe the date I could care less. The awards on this site have nothing to do with data. It is all about the photo. Your photos aren't being screened on data unless you really screw it up.
Personally, I think the data that I present on photos is very important. For specific cases such as where someone plans to travel to a specific location to railfan, sees your photo, and wants to go there, if you enter more data for the viewer to see, they may be able to find that location a hell of a lot easier. Even entering a milepost number one digit off could confuse someone!

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:58 PM   #106
J Douglas Moore
Senior Member
 
J Douglas Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: "It's a dry heat" Arizona
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Well, talk about someone setting their sights to low! Come on, J, you've got to have more confidence in yourself than that!

p.s. I just favored one of your photos.
It's not that my sights are low, its just that I am a realist as to my current level of expertise. That, however, is not where I plan to remain!! I shall continue to learn til the day I die........

Thanks so much for the "Favorite". It just feels good to know that people enjoy the results of what I had so much fun in doing!!
__________________

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #107
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
Personally, I think the data that I present on photos is very important. For specific cases such as where someone plans to travel to a specific location to railfan, sees your photo, and wants to go there, if you enter more data for the viewer to see, they may be able to find that location a hell of a lot easier. Even entering a milepost number one digit off could confuse someone!

~Carl Becker
That's great, but what does it have to do with the quality of an image for a PCA vote?

I'm all for being as thorough as possible when filling out the submission form, but I just don't see what info about the picture has to do with the quality of the image I'm looking at.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #108
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
That's great, but what does it have to do with the quality of an image for a PCA vote?

I'm all for being as thorough as possible when filling out the submission form, but I just don't see what info about the picture has to do with the quality of the image I'm looking at.
I already answered your question in my previous post.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #109
John Ryan
Senior Member
 
John Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 497
Send a message via AIM to John Ryan
Default

For Pete's sake, I pay no attention to road numbers or train symbols. The "notebook people" can do that.

When I take a photo, it starts with a creative process that focusses on composing elements within a frame. I'm more interested in the aesthetic than the mechanical. I don't go out to take pictures for "technical" reasons. Most of the time I'm not listening to a scanner, so I don't know what the trains are to start with.

Most of my photo info should read like this:

Road Number: Don't Know
Train Symbol: Don't Care

Personally, I just don't see the point. And if someone's Peeble's Choice vote is decided based on the quality or quantity of the info provided with the photo, then that's totally silly. I always thought that the awards were to recognize inspiring work, camera talent, etc.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #110
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
Personally, I just don't see the point. And if someone's Peeble's Choice vote is decided based on the quality or quantity of the info provided with the photo, then that's totally silly. I always thought that the awards were to recognize inspiring work, camera talent, etc.
Amen, brother.

Now if someone could just give a logical answer as to what data has to do with a VISUAL award, then...oh wait, there is no logical answer.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:29 AM   #111
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
For Pete's sake, I pay no attention to road numbers or train symbols. The "notebook people" can do that.

When I take a photo, it starts with a creative process that focusses on composing elements within a frame. I'm more interested in the aesthetic than the mechanical. I don't go out to take pictures for "technical" reasons. Most of the time I'm not listening to a scanner, so I don't know what the trains are to start with.

Most of my photo info should read like this:

Road Number: Don't Know
Train Symbol: Don't Care

Personally, I just don't see the point. And if someone's Peeble's Choice vote is decided based on the quality or quantity of the info provided with the photo, then that's totally silly. I always thought that the awards were to recognize inspiring work, camera talent, etc.
I disagree... not so much because you're wrong... you should enjoy the hobby the way that you enjoy it, and your terrific photography proves that you are enjoying it well... but what I take issue with is the thought that I am somehow wrong for wanting to know what the trian symbol is, what the engine number is, what order it came frome, what the MP location is, and the history of the line that I am shooting on. My hobby is capturing history and all of that matters to me. Just because it doesn't matter to you, don't knock it.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:37 AM   #112
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
I disagree... not so much because you're wrong... you should enjoy the hobby the way that you enjoy it, and your terrific photography proves that you are enjoying it well... but what I take issue with is the thought that I am somehow wrong for wanting to know what the trian symbol is, what the engine number is, what order it came frome, what the MP location is, and the history of the line that I am shooting on. My hobby is capturing history and all of that matters to me. Just because it doesn't matter to you, don't knock it.
Charles, that's not the issue. The issue raised is whether a photo is worthy of a PCA or not because information is missing or incorrect. No one is saying anyone is wrong for generally wanting to know what the information is about the photo.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #113
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Charles, that's not the issue. The issue raised is whether a photo is worthy of a PCA or not because information is missing or incorrect. No one is saying anyone is wrong for generally wanting to know what the information is about the photo.
Jim,

I hear you... and personally, I don't cast PCAs based on the information provided... but I do understand why someone may or may not. I think it's a personal choice (as any vote in a democracy should be, no?).

Charles
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #114
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
I think it's a personal choice (as any vote in a democracy should be, no?).
I can imagine it goes something like this:


"Wow, that's an amazing picture!!! Definite PCA from me!!! Oh wait, gotta check the information first. Let's see.....Railroad...check. Locomotive type...check. Locomotive ID...check. Train number...check. Location...NO, that is NOT the proper location!!! Oh no!!!!! My visual stimulation created by this shot has been RUINED because he didn't list the proper location!! No PCA for him!!!"

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #115
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I can imagine it goes something like this:


"Wow, that's an amazing picture!!! Definite PCA from me!!! Oh wait, gotta check the information first. Let's see.....Railroad...check. Locomotive type...check. Locomotive ID...check. Train number...check. Location...NO, that is NOT the proper location!!! Oh no!!!!! My visual stimulation created by this shot has been RUINED because he didn't list the proper location!! No PCA for him!!!"

You win! I concede. Still like the info to be there and correct though.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #116
J Douglas Moore
Senior Member
 
J Douglas Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: "It's a dry heat" Arizona
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
You win! I concede. Still like the info to be there and correct though.
The way I see this is that we all have differing degrees of interest in trains. Some mainly like to watch and snapa few photos. Others are into it so much that they kknow the names of all the local crews AND their kids. I, personally, just enjoy seeing trains. My main interest is in capturing them . So there is no right or wrong here, just different levels of interest.
__________________

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #117
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore
The way I see this is that we all have differing degrees of interest in trains. Some mainly like to watch and snapa few photos. Others are into it so much that they kknow the names of all the local crews AND their kids. I, personally, just enjoy seeing trains. My main interest is in capturing them . So there is no right or wrong here, just different levels of interest.
I couldn't agree more... and that was actually my initial reason for joining this rather contentious thread... to say don't knock those of use who are "notebook" railfans. When my dad went railfanning with me, he couldn't tell an ALCO from an EMD unless he was reading the builder's plate (and then, still wouldn't have cared much), while I stood next to him, busily logging road numbers. I wouldn't give up a single memory of hanging with him trackside, and wouldn't change the way he was.


Different strokes for different folks. I care about the info, and I am disappointed when it's not there (or even worse, when it's wrong).

Last edited by Freericks; 08-21-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #118
John Ryan
Senior Member
 
John Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 497
Send a message via AIM to John Ryan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSditch
Doesn't always make or break a photo. However, it adds points in my book for sure. I can confidently say that the more data, and specifically the more correct data, the better.
Now, Mr. Ditch, when you were working as a secret screener, as you have claimed to be in the past, did you ever reject any photos because of insufficient data?

Enquiring minds want to know.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #119
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Mr. Ditch, when you were working as a secret screener, as you have claimed to be in the past, did you ever reject any photos because of insufficient data?
Is this true? Link? I must have missed it...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #120
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Is this true? Link? I must have missed it...
NSditch is O Winston Link who is still alive and he used to be a screener?
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #121
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
NSditch is O Winston Link who is still alive and he used to be a screener?
J: fail at comprehension. Ha ha ha!

No, link, as in, "Do you have a link to a thread where Ditch claimed to be a secret screener?"
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #122
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
J: fail at comprehension. Ha ha ha!

No, link, as in, "Do you have a link to a thread where Ditch claimed to be a secret screener?"
I get it! It was a JOKE!

Gosh, I feel like I am about 12 years old right now.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #123
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I get it! It was a JOKE!

Gosh, I feel like I am about 12 years old right now.
Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #124
F40PH271
Senior Member
 
F40PH271's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
NSditch is O Winston Link who is still alive and he used to be a screener?
No link needed. It was more of a conversation back in July 2007 between myself and some other RP contributors where someone happened to be there for some reason and came out and claimed to be a secret screener on the website, despite how much he really hates the site and everyone who screens photos on the site. Very pathetic actually.

It was later found out that all he really did for the site was submit incorrect info on the "Correct Photo Data" page, which is ironic since he's such a stickler on correct info.
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #125
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Then count me as a "secret screener" because I've used that function before...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.