Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
jnohallman

Default Anyone using the Rebel XSi?

I don't have the money for one of the more expensive options out there, and I'm still using my Digital Rebel XT, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the XSi. It's at a fairly attractive price point for me, and I'm wondering whether I should consider upgrading at some point soon.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
JRMDC

Others will undoubtedly chime in on the cameras. I have a question. What are you trying to accomplish? What shortcomings in the XT do you perceive?

And the related question, have you considered other alternative purchases that might turn out to do more for your photography, such as a lens in a different focal length?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Unless you're upgrading to something like the 30D or 40D, I don't really see the point of upgrading the body (I have an XT myself).

So, since those bodies are too expensive, I'd be looking into investing in more glass. I'm reasonably happy with my Sigma 17-70, and I love my Canon 70-200 f/4 L. I had a Canon 28-200, and it was a piece of junk.

In any event, when funds allow, I'll probably trade in the Sigma for the Canon 17-40 f/4 L. If I win the lottery or loose a finger, I'd love to go to the 40D body.

Bottom line: unless you're already shooting with medium to high end glass, I'd upgrade that before even thinking about the camera body.

Last edited by ottergoose; 08-28-2008 at 11:27 PM.
ottergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
jnohallman

I can't say as I've noticed any particular shortcomings with the XT so far, but then again I'm not a professional photographer. I have made some nice enlargements for my own purposes, and am thinking about the possibility of trying to sell some large prints at some point. I have definitely considered purchasing additional lenses - the problem there is that the next lens I would want to buy (something like a 400mm fixed telephoto) is even more expensive than the camera. That would be for nature photography anyway. Nicer glass is a possibility as well - I currently do most of my shooting with either the EF-S 18-55 or the 75-300 EF USM. Now admittedly, the 18-55 is not a great lens, but I've been pretty happy so far.

One of the reasons I've been thinking about the XSi is the higher resolution, again because I have some interest in substantial enlargements (16x20 or bigger). But I don't know if it makes that much of a difference, as opposed to a different lens.

If I won the lottery, then I'd buy the EOS 1-Ds, or whatever the full-frame image sensor, top-of-the-line model is!

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Correction - If you won the lottery, you'd buy ME a 1Ds
The XSi really isn't a big upgrade from the XT. The only things I really noticed between the two are the LCD screen, and sensor cleaning. (I'm only assuming sensor cleaning since I didn't use it for long enough to tell, but with my 40D sensor dust is extremely rare)
You may not notice any shortcomings with your XT, but if you're unfortunate enough to use an xxD or xD, you will suddenly become very aware of all the ergonomic flaws.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
jnohallman

Ergonomic flaws? Do tell!!!

Jon

Old 08-29-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman

Jon
Mostly to small for most hands, but thats what there selling it as a small and cheep camera. A starter camera. By the way women don't like big Cameras. Far more women buy them than men do, from the locale camera store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 08-29-2008 at 12:37 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
One of the reasons I've been thinking about the XSi is the higher resolution, again because I have some interest in substantial enlargements (16x20 or bigger).
Jon;

Your XT should easily do a 16X20 even with some cropping done on the shot. I have a 20X30 enlargement on my wall taken with my 300D, the first Digital Rebel. I have a 20X30 on my wall with some cropping taken with my XTi. If your enlargements are subpar, there's probably a reason other than your camera.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
JRMDC

Enlargements will be affected both by the resolution of the sensor and the quality of the lens. I stepped up from the 75-300 to the 70-200 /4 L, for example, and noticed a distinct improvement in image quality on the screen, so it would be an improvement at 16x20 also.

I don't print above 8x12 and anyway I have not done any testing so I have no idea whether the senor resolution or the lens quality is more important.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-29-2008, 01:34 AM   #10
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:

Jon
Well, aside from the size (which is VERY subjective) the main thing is the wheel. Makes it a ton easier to adjust practically every setting, and play back images. Don't forget the joystick for adjusting focus points! It's always much less of a scramble to adjust settings on the fly with my 40D.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:05 AM   #11
PLEzero

I would consider saving up and investing in better glass before investing in a new camera body, especially a minor upgrade in bodies. You will notice a difference in image quality with better glass. I have been using a friends XTi the last few weeks. It is a nice camera but too small for my tastes. If you do choose to upgrade the body, I would suggest going to a camera store and getting a feel for the specific camera before buying it online (Better price at B&H).
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
Switched out

Jon,

The way I see it you have a number of options you could consider.

1. Upgrade the XT to the XSi, not an option I would consider.
  2. Upgrade the XT to a 40D, sell the XT to fund the price difference between the XSi and 40D currently about $340.00 at B&H unless you have plans for the XT such as using it as a door stop or something.
  3. Keep the XT and put some decent glass in front of it, I favor this option from number 2 by a slim margin it was a hard call.
The XT will respond well to high quality glass where as the 40D or the XSi would only give you a marginal increase picture quality with the two lenses that you listed above. The down side is quality glass is expensive however you will keep it longer then the camera body.

Here's a couple of links that may help you make the decision .
Canon XSi review at Dpreview
Canon 40D review at Dpreview
Canon Lens reviews at Photozone
Cheers
Christine.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
Ed Mullan

As a Nikon owner, maybe I should not chime in here..but my old D50, I thought, was getting obsolete. I never, though, had quality glass on the old girl. I bought a Nikon Micro P, an older Nikon lens with manual focusing just because it looked like new and was at a great price. Supposed to be one of the sharpest Nikon lenses. I had it altered (AI'd) so I could mount it on the D50. You have to judge the exposure, but that's no problem with digital.
The point is..the difference with good glass is stunning! I've read that the Canon f/4 70/200 lens is just great. I think that good glass is the way to go.
Checking the profiles of many of the top guys on this forum, judging from what many of them are using, they have come to the same conclusion.

Ed
Ed Mullan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #14
jnohallman

Part of my challenge in upgrading lenses is deciding what kind of lens I'd really want to spend the money on. I know this may sound like heresy on a site like this, but I don't just take train pictures. The pic under my screen name was taken with my 75-300 at maximum zoom. So, while I can see the advantages of the 70-200 F/4L (which I could probably find at about $600 if I looked hard enough), and it might be great for train shots, it wouldn't serve me as well for some of the nature photos I like to take. Most of my railroad shots have been taken with the 18-55 EF-s. Again, the 70-200 doesn't help me there. In other words, while it may be a great lens, I'm not sure it's a great fit for the variety of photos I take. So, that said, are there any other good lenses I should consider at either the longer or shorter end of the focal length range?

Jon

Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
JRMDC

Quote:
So, that said, are there any other good lenses I should consider at either the longer or shorter end of the focal length range?
to "widen" your range: Canon 10-22

to improve quality of your lower range: Sigma 17-70

if you are interested in shallow depth of field and/or in portraits: Canon 50/1.8 (cheap but very good!) 85/1.8 (great lens!)

to lengthen your range - well, that's the crux of it, long = $$$ and you only get what, $150 used for the 75-300? and you want at least 300? hmm, 300/4 is excellent
100-400 isn't excellent but has a really useable range, 400/5.6 is fine

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #16
Joey Bowman

Im also an XT user that wants to upgrade. For me, the two biggest reasons are the buffer (only 6 RAW images), and higher ISO noise performance. 1600 ISO on the XT pretty much unusable unless you enjoy lots of noise/grain.

If you are wanting a longer lens, maybe look into the 300 f/4 IS L. Maybe even the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX. Im not sure what your budget is though, both are around $1000.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:24 AM   #17
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

If you're really looking for more reach, you could also consider the 1.4x extender with the 70-200 L, that'd turn it into a 100-280mm lens.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Well, aside from the size (which is VERY subjective) the main thing is the wheel. Makes it a ton easier to adjust practically every setting, and play back images. Don't forget the joystick for adjusting focus points! It's always much less of a scramble to adjust settings on the fly with my 40D.
I will go with what you wrote, but there not flaws, and if they put all the nice thing's on it you wont want to move up to a better camera 40D or 5D, 50D.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #19
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
If you're really looking for more reach, you could also consider the 1.4x extender with the 70-200 L, that'd turn it into a 100-280mm lens.
a F4 in to a F5.6 lens AF still works and the shots are still sharp.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #20
milwman
I shoot what I like

[quote=JRMDC]

to improve quality of your lower range: Sigma 17-70

and i say Canons 24-85 3.5 -4.5 if you don't need it that wide its only $306. or so and sharp

Old 08-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #21
LSRC Railfan

On the wide side I'm using a simga 17-70. Seems like an excellent lens! There's a wee bit of distortion on the wide side and the auto focus at times can have some trouble but for the price it's wonderful!

I borrowed Ron Cady's Canon 100-300. Not too bad. I didn't have a long time to play around with it but the photos taken with it wern't bad at all. Or if you have a bit more money I'd recommend one of the Canon 70-200L series. I used Ron Cady's new 70-200 f/4L IS (Don't you love it when the people you shoot with have the same brand of equiptment as you ) and I was super pleased with the results. Excellent piece of glass!
Image © Jim Guest
PhotoID: 248329
Photograph © Jim Guest

Now if you have your heart set on getting a telephoto lens with IS and don't have enough money to get an L lens, try Canon's 70-300IS. I've used Canon's 75-300IS, it's not too bad but the 70-300IS is much better.
Image © Jim Guest
PhotoID: 242012
Photograph © Jim Guest

Hope that was some help.
-Jim
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #22
jnohallman

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Looks like one way or another I'll have to save my pennies for a while!

Jon

Old 08-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
Joe the Photog

Quote:
I know this may sound like heresy on a site like this, but I don't just take train pictures.
Yeah, because every single member of this webn site takes only pictures of choo choos. You're the only one who takes pictures of anything else.

Joe
Old 08-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #24
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Yeah, because every single member of this webn site takes only pictures of choo choos. You're the only one who takes pictures of anything else.

Joe

I would have to say that I have had more than a few vibes that there are plenty of people on here that only take photo's of trains, and nothing else (with the exception of maybe family snapshots and such).
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #25
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog

Joe
That was a joke, Joe.