Old 09-10-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
LSRC Railfan

Default Photography in the Rain

Hi everyone,

It was raining the other day and I was wondering what to do in the rain when I shoot with my new XT. I know that neither the Canon XT nor the Sigma 17-70 lens are weather proof. Does that mean I'll have to shoot from under an umbrella (hard to do when you're shooting alone) or is it alright to get a few drops of rain/snow on it? My Canon powershot S2IS wasn't weather proof (at least I don't think it was) and I took it out in all sorts of weather, like pouring rain, snowstorms, freezing temperatures, etc. without any problems whatsoever (well...minus the barrel freezing in the cold). I was just wonding if I'm able to do the same things with the XT. Also is all L glass weatherproof?

-Jim
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
Joey Bowman

A little rain or snow will not hurt it, Neither will extreme temperatures, I have shot with my XT right around 0 degrees, no problems.

If its a little more than light rain/snow or drizzle I will use soemthing to cover it up with, I find that using a bandanna from walmart for 99 cents seems to work perfectly, just wash it before hand.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

If I were a betting man, I would say that rain did in my kit lens that came with my Rebel XT.

Now... was that a bad thing...? Hmmm...

But in all seriousness... I would keep any photography equipment as dry as possible... a touch of drizzle here or there... okay... much more... I would avoid.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
Switched out

You could use something like the Lens Coat to protect the lens from the elements these are mainly used by wild life photographers but they may help you sneak up on a very skittish locomotive or train crew

As for L class lens being weather proof I believe they all differ so you would have to do some research on the lens you are interested in.

Cheers,

Christine
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman
A little rain or snow will not hurt it, Neither will extreme temperatures, I have shot with my XT right around 0 degrees, no problems.
Extreme temperatures will affect your XT. I was shooting in -40F and the shutter slowed way down, battery sucked out very fast, and I got frost bite.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:03 AM   #6
Joey Bowman

-40?!

I just hope that I see -1 before I die, coldest I have ever seen it is about 1 or 2.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 AM   #7
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller
Extreme temperatures will affect your XT. I was shooting in -40F and the shutter slowed way down, battery sucked out very fast, and I got frost bite.
Yea, well.. So did you get a good shot or not??

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
-40?!

I just hope that I see -1 before I die, coldest I have ever seen it is about 1 or 2.
WHY ????????

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #9
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller
I had that problem last winter with the shutter slowing down, but I found doing random shots while waiting for the train will keep it loosened up!

As for the question about L lenses, the 70-200 f/4L non-IS is not weather proofed...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore
WHY ????????

It doesnt get that cold here where I live, once or twice a year we might make it into the single digits.

After watching shows like Ice Road Truckers or Deadliest Catch I would just like to see what it is like to be in sub zero degree air.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
-40?!

Your not missing anything - Travis from Wisconsin.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
travsirocz

I shoot in the rain a lot as seen by my shots. I have had no problems yet. I have used the XTi and XT. What I do is hold the camera under my shirt or jacket and then just pull up for the shot. I also always wipe the camera and lens off with a towel as much as I can. I also use big ziplock bags. I put the camera lens first into the bag and then install my lens hood or rubberband around the lens. I then use a razor blade and cut out the lens opening.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

I've fashioned a dry bag from a gallon size bag by cutting a hole in one end of it in the size of my lens. I then slip the bag over the lens so that it fits snug around the end of the lens, and then put the lens hood on over the bag to secure the bag in place and simultaneously protect the glass from getting wet.

I also wear a rain suit while out shooting.

This was taken while using that setup:
Image © Mike W.
PhotoID: 197816
Photograph © Mike W.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
I've fashioned a dry bag from a gallon size bag by cutting a hole in one end of it in the size of my lens. I then slip the bag over the lens so that it fits snug around the end of the lens, and then put the lens hood on over the bag to secure the bag in place and simultaneously protect the glass from getting wet.
Do you mean you put the hood in front of the bag, so it doesn't slide off the front, or do you mean that part of the bag actually lies within the thread where the hood attaches?

BTW, nice to revisit that shot of yours!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Do you mean you put the hood in front of the bag, so it doesn't slide off the front, or do you mean that part of the bag actually lies within the thread where the hood attaches?

BTW, nice to revisit that shot of yours!
I usually try to get it so that the bag lies within the thread, though when I've been lazy, I've used the other method as well.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #16
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
Your not missing anything - Travis from Wisconsin.
I think he's missing out on a LOT!
  • No people
  • Snow blowing everywhere
  • No clouds, it's too cold
  • Limited mobility due to the fact that you look the Michelin man because of your parka
  • Steamy exhaust from everything, especially yourself
  • The art of keeping your camera inside your outer jacket to keep it warm
  • The art of taking a picture with 2 or 3 layers of gloves on
Oh yeah, and my favorite part!
  • Getting the perfect winter shot and making everyone think you're hardcore and artistic
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #17
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
I think he's missing out on a LOT!
  • No people
  • Snow blowing everywhere
  • No clouds, it's too cold
  • Limited mobility due to the fact that you look the Michelin man because of your parka
  • Steamy exhaust from everything, especially yourself
  • The art of keeping your camera inside your outer jacket to keep it warm
  • The art of taking a picture with 2 or 3 layers of gloves on
Oh yeah, and my favorite part!
  • Getting the perfect winter shot and making everyone think you're hardcore and artistic
My winter shot at 20 looks the same as -20. But he is missing out on losing feeling in his fingers and toes and the joy of touching an aluminum tri pod.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
PLEzero

A plastic grocery store bag or zip lock baggie with some well located holes and a few rubber bands will work wonders. If you do it just right, holding an umbrella while taking photos does in fact work, although you will look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4L9409m.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	3323  
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero
A plastic grocery store bag or zip lock baggie with some well located holes and a few rubber bands will work wonders. If you do it just right, holding an umbrella while taking photos does in fact work, although you will look like this:

That's awesome Brad! You really just made my day, I mean, looks like it works perfectly but that is pretty dang funny! lol, I'm still chuckling
Old 09-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #20
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Due to me having two bodies now I mostly use my 30D for times when I am in the rain. If it is raining and I have no cover for my camera I will just wipe it off as soon as I get inside. I have shot with my 30D in rain, sleet, snow, and very warn weather and it has held up pretty well, but of course the 30D is completely different from the XT. Alot of L glass is weather proofed but I dont beleive it all is.

Below are a few recent shots in the rain.

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 236205
Photograph © WalterS

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 236212
Photograph © WalterS

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 226647
Photograph © WalterS

I personally think weather conditions dont affect a camera as much as say shooting in a shop or down in the boiler of a engine. Because 99% of the time I am in those conditions it is dusty and my hands are greasy.

Image © Walter Scriptunas - www.scriptunasimages.smugmug.com
PhotoID: 247454
Photograph © Walter Scriptunas - www.scriptunasimages.smugmug.com
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #21
Joe the Photog

Or you could just stay inside your car.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 09-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #22
LSRC Railfan

Thanks guys. I think I'll try to invent some sort of cover for my camera/lens for shooting in heavy rain/snow. Now that I think about it I think Jim Thias made something for his 100-400. I've also been thinking of taking my spare tripod and attaching an umbrella to it. But this whole thing just makes me want a 40D even more!

Quote:
Today 01:10 PM
PLEzero A plastic grocery store bag or zip lock baggie with some well located holes and a few rubber bands will work wonders. If you do it just right, holding an umbrella while taking photos does in fact work, although you will look like this:
John Ryan was showing me shots like that from his visit. If I recall you guys pushed him out from under the umbrella because he had the weatherproof camera!

-Jim
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #23
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRC Railfan
Thanks guys. I think I'll try to invent some sort of cover for my camera/lens for shooting in heavy rain/snow. Now that I think about it I think Jim Thias made something for his 100-400.
You are correct, Jim. This is a poor man's extended lens hood I made last winter in order to shoot in the driving snow and rain:

I'm going to make a new one for this winter, but with a large plastic cone of some sort. I just haven't found one to cut to fit yet.

Also, when it's raining, I use a 2 gallon zip lock bag with a hole cut in it big enough to stick my lens through, and then when the hood screwed on, the bag is held in place. It's CHEAP, works great and keeps your equipment dry.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #24
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
You are correct, Jim. This is a poor man's extended lens hood I made last winter in order to shoot in the driving snow and rain:

I'm going to make a new one for this winter, but with a large plastic cone of some sort. I just haven't found one to cut to fit yet.

Also, when it's raining, I use a 2 gallon zip lock bag with a hole cut in it big enough to stick my lens through, and then when the hood screwed on, the bag is held in place. It's CHEAP, works great and keeps your equipment dry.
Jim, just to let you know, you can now buy duct tape in many decorator colors. Might I suggest a fasionable black tape to hide that drab and common gray? Or how about going a little crazy and use the new red tape? Please show us the new pics when you have completed the redecorating.......

"Thanks for looking"

Old 09-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore
Jim, just to let you know, you can now buy duct tape in many decorator colors. Might I suggest a fasionable black tape to hide that drab and common gray? Or how about going a little crazy and use the new red tape? Please show us the new pics when you have completed the redecorating.......
Hey man, it was snowing and a train was coming and that's all I had to work with at the time!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote