Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #51
DRGW5371

Send a message via AIM to DRGW5371 Send a message via Yahoo to DRGW5371

I was always surprised by these few,

This one, taken on the Madison RR, I only uploaded because I thought people might like to see this big grade, plus there were no other pictures of it on RP.

Image © Matt Marck
PhotoID: 191033
Photograph © Matt Marck

This one of an I&O derailment got rejected the first few times for bad cropping, but I finally got it in:

Image © Matt Marck
PhotoID: 200315
Photograph © Matt Marck

I figured it might gather some views, but not almost 1000 more than the one of the real derailment:

Image © Matt Marck
PhotoID: 200312
Photograph © Matt Marck

My Photos on RP

CincyPics.com
DRGW5371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #52
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
I'm in the US. Anything under 400 is poor to me in the first 2 weeks. Anything under 200 is very poor. Anything 700 or higher in 2 weeks is good. My view counts have changed as my photography has. I use to like getting anything over 300 in the first week. To tell you the truth I have a sliding view count scale in my head. Certain shots I expect shoud get over 1000 views in a few days where others I feel should hit 500 and others need to get over 200 to be succesful for me. I guess it really depends on the shot that I submit.
After 18 months on RP, with most of the older scanned slides/negs being uploaded within the first 6 months I only have 2 with over 1000 views with 2 more approaching 1000. I've had 1 Top of the Day, no PCA's, but at least 1 (that I know of) PCA vote.

All shots are from the UK or France. For a non U.S. photographer the figures quoted above are only a dream in those timescales for most shots. Some of the more spectacular locations have gained views at that rate, but not many.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #53
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
After 18 months on RP, with most of the older scanned slides/negs being uploaded within the first 6 months I only have 2 with over 1000 views with 2 more approaching 1000. I've had 1 Top of the Day, no PCA's, but at least 1 (that I know of) PCA vote.

All shots are from the UK or France. For a non U.S. photographer the figures quoted above are only a dream in those timescales for most shots. Some of the more spectacular locations have gained views at that rate, but not many.
Well, I've been fortunate to shoot a few shots at European stations, of varying visual interest. My two from fall 2005 average over 850, one over 1000. They are benefiting from having been on RP a long time. My five from December 2006 average 800, one over 1300. My four from Feb 2007 average almost 850, two over 1000. So getting lots of views on Euro shots is doable. But it really helps to have the shots on RP for a long time.

No top of day or PCA success, although I don't blame that on their being non-US images!

Now, my three from this past July, just up over 400 on average. This summer has not been good for views, I think. And one image that I thought would do well, I think its technical details were simply not visible on the thumbnail or no one thought them to be as interesting as I do! Probably the latter.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 242456
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

I have more Euro's coming, no time to get to them, but when I do, I expect results in the 300-500 range within a month, substantially below my current 900+ average. Just the way it goes.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #54
willig

I've been on RP.net for 11 months now. I've had 502 shots accepted and only 29 have had over 1000 views.

Top one is this with 3868views
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 241207
Photograph © Graham Williams
It was in Ghana.

The next best is this with 1997 views
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 241639

Of the whole 29, one is a night station shot,
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 218234

Only two are diesels and these were taken in 1985. The remaining 26 are all of steam locos.

Of these, 10 are of A4s, like this
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 215388

There's no doubt that those streamlined beauties (or "Streaks" as we call them in the UK) do get quite a few views.

However, all these are in the UK and whilst I have photos taken in 11 countries on the DB, none of them get anything like the numbers that the good shots in USA get.

There is no doubt that shots outside the US have got to have something really special about them to get the big view numbers. I'm not complaining, I'm quite happy to share my shots with those who are interested, wherever they are from. I know lots of my viewers are from the USA.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #55
J Douglas Moore

I posted my first pic about 6 weeks ago (July 26th) & it has 675 hits.

Image © J Douglas Moore
PhotoID: 244159
Photograph © J Douglas Moore

I posted my last one 7 days ago & it has 947!

Image © J Douglas Moore
PhotoID: 249288

And my most popular was posted on August 2nd. Gotta say I am happy with hit counts.

Image © J Douglas Moore
PhotoID: 245208

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #56
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

There are only two shots I can think of right off the top of my head that really surprised me with how well they did.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This one I really liked. I submitted it, it got on, I got a couple comments, and that was it. Or so I thought. I came in the next day to a Top Shots Photographer notice, and it was my first 1000+ view shot.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This was the other one. Again a nice shot and I figured it would be in the 5-600 view range, but what really boosted this one was winning a PCA, which I didn't have the faintest inkling was coming. Although it is fun getting a seemingly random PCA email and trying to figure out which shot it was that won.

Anyway, for me, a shot that doesn't hit 200 after about a week is a bust. 200-300 is a poor performer. 300-500 is an average performer. 500-700 is a strong performer. 700-1000 is a great performer and anything that cracks the 1000 view cap that isn't a newsy shot is an outstanding performer. I submit the shots I feel can reach 500 views. Some do, others don't.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #57
foss0244

Send a message via AIM to foss0244

I'm still surprised this one did so well.
Image © Jared F.
PhotoID: 196478
Photograph © Jared F.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #58
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
Well, if you upload on Saturday night, you only have 8 days of voting, whereas if you upload on a Sunday night / Monday morning, you get 13 days of voting for the PCA's.

The daily shots could be staggered another day, I suppose... but I'm not sure what that would really accomplish. It'd be a bit odd to see the "top shot uploaded on the day before yesterday" appearing on the front page. I suppose it could just be the "top shot uploaded in the last 24 hours" but that'd be a bit odd too - shots that make it to the top would stay there and prevent other shots from slipping in until precisely 24 hours after they had been sent in.

I think the existing system fine, even if it keeps me up late once in a while.
Don't take me so seriously, Nick. I was kidding when I made that remark because so many people seem so concerned about getting the top shot of the day.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #59
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

This one I was surprised got so many views. I didn't think it would do so well. It is currently my most favorited shot.
Image © Mike Wnek
PhotoID: 245990
Photograph © Mike Wnek

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #60
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig
There is no doubt that shots outside the US have got to have something really special about them to get the big view numbers. I'm not complaining, I'm quite happy to share my shots with those who are interested, wherever they are from. I know lots of my viewers are from the USA.
Thats my take on it as well - we have to work much harder for views, and can't rely on interesting motive power alone in the shot as most won't recognise it as such.

I can't work out why this one has so few views though
Image © Stephen Dance
PhotoID: 244223
Photograph © Stephen Dance

Steam loco, good light, nice village, and a country church

Old 09-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #61
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Well, I've been fortunate to shoot a few shots at European stations, of varying visual interest. My two from fall 2005 average over 850, one over 1000. They are benefiting from having been on RP a long time. My five from December 2006 average 800, one over 1300. My four from Feb 2007 average almost 850, two over 1000. So getting lots of views on Euro shots is doable. But it really helps to have the shots on RP for a long time.

I have more Euro's coming, no time to get to them, but when I do, I expect results in the 300-500 range within a month, substantially below my current 900+ average. Just the way it goes.
Timescales are slightly different, but thats roundly comparable to my average. Its a shame I don't have any U.S. shots of sufficient quality to upload to see what happens.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #62
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Don't take me so seriously, Nick. I was kidding when I made that remark because so many people seem so concerned about getting the top shot of the day.
Hey, I'm a web developer, so systems like that are of great interest to me

It was more thinking out loud than anything else. If I'm trying to retort you, I generally try to be more of an ass
Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #63
MDH

Before I realized how the "top shot" counts worked I used to upload everything in the late evening. Now I upload ones I think will do well in the morning. None the less, I wasn't expecting so much out of this one. It got maybe a dozen or two views when I uploaded it late one night but around 1,000 views the next day, easily blowing away the view count of the top shots for that day.

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 244363
Photograph © Michael Harding

Regards,
Michael
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #64
Railfan Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH
Before I realized how the "top shot" counts worked I used to upload everything in the late evening. Now I upload ones I think will do well in the morning. None the less, I wasn't expecting so much out of this one. It got maybe a dozen or two views when I uploaded it late one night but around 1,000 views the next day, easily blowing away the view count of the top shots for that day.

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 244363
Photograph © Michael Harding

Regards,
Michael
Well, now it has over 1,000 views and a favorite. Nice shot, I love those huge loads.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #65
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
Hey, I'm a web developer, so systems like that are of great interest to me

It was more thinking out loud than anything else. If I'm trying to retort you, I generally try to be more of an ass
Don't worry, I'll always think your an ass.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #66
Khalua10

Never thought this shot would do anything special as far as a ton of views, turned out to be my most popular in the DB.

Image © HTTR
PhotoID: 212356
Photograph © HTTR
Khalua10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:17 AM   #67
F40PH271

Image © Paul Duda
PhotoID: 234504
Photograph © Paul Duda

Image © Paul Duda
PhotoID: 225315
Photograph © Paul Duda

Both fairly normal 34 wedges...
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #68
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by F40PH271
Image © Paul Duda
PhotoID: 234504
Photograph © Paul Duda

Image © Paul Duda
PhotoID: 225315
Photograph © Paul Duda

Both fairly normal 34 wedges...
Both have interesting other elements though.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #69
Bill

My 5th most popular shot, No comments, no favorites, just lots of hits. Go figure....

Image © Bill Merlavage --- www.merlavageimages.com
PhotoID: 165219
Photograph © Bill Merlavage --- www.merlavageimages.com
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 AM   #70
Dennis A. Livesey

No body could be more surprised then I how this

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 242977
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

became my highest viewed photo. And with a nice level of comments and a couple of favorites.

It's an odd little picture. I came up with the blurred car only because of what I have learned and have been inspired by from all you guys here.

"If I only knew then what I know now."

I started to seriously railfan photographically about 1976 when I went to Tehachapi for the first time. Unfortunately, I was not mentored and developed bad habits that haunt me to this day.

Better late than never...

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:52 AM   #71
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo

I can't work out why this one has so few views though
Image © Stephen Dance
PhotoID: 244223
Photograph © Stephen Dance

Steam loco, good light, nice village, and a country church
I believe main problem is that the angle is too sharp; it should be more to the right. As it is, the carriages are hard to see and the spire needs to be to the right to to balance the compo.
Also the locomotive green blends too much with the foliage on the left and the W sign takes my eye away from the locomotive. My eyeball hurts!

IMHO of course

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #72
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

I really didnt think this shot would be popular but it already has 11,500 views go figure.

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 237046
Photograph © WalterS

I am kidding of course, or am I? Steam hasnt seemed to be very popular on RP lately.

Now this one did suprise me, but then I found out it was linked on some stupid adult site.

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 209403
Photograph © WalterS

These days I am trying more and more to just add the good shots that I think will be popular, the rest can just go on my website.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 AM   #73
J Douglas Moore

My wife got this shot on and I really liked it, but didnt think it would do too well, but it has been good............. 5 weeks = 650 hits.... I think it is because of the human element, and maybe the igloo cooler !!

Image © Deborah Moore
PhotoID: 245165
Photograph © Deborah Moore

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #74
SDavey

Image © Steve Davey
PhotoID: 224647
Photograph © Steve Davey

Over 5,000 views for a beat to heck BNSF Dash 9.
SDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #75
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDavey
Image © Steve Davey
PhotoID: 224647
Photograph © Steve Davey

Over 5,000 views for a beat to heck BNSF Dash 9.
Gotta be that faded funky color

"Thanks for looking"