Old 11-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #301
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I am very happy to be shooting that this coming Saturday and then uploading to Flickr, Facebook and Joe the Photog Dot Com. It's nice to realize that railroad photography is a fun hobby again and not a competition. Let others fret over rejections and Top 24s.
Why are you even posting on the forums? I thought you were boycotting RP.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:40 AM   #302
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
No way will there be more uploaded from the deadhead.. lol

Loyd L.
What amazes me is that unit made it all the way to Jacksonville, and then back again on a train full of passenger equipment, and there are hardly any shots from GA or FL. What gives? Did they sneak it down there and back in the dead of night?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 11-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #303
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
What amazes me is that unit made it all the way to Jacksonville, and then back again on a train full of passenger equipment, and there are hardly any shots from GA or FL. What gives? Did they sneak it down there and back in the dead of night?
It's coming to Orlando, so I get to take pictures of it after all...
Old 11-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #304
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Good luck!

Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #305
bigbassloyd

Quote:
The majority of travel was through darkness. Don't worry, there was plenty of shots taken Friday-Saturday to make up for it.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #306
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Doesn't count South of Spartanburg

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #307
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Even with the CRR units on the rear of the consist with no F40s attached? Hmmm...
So it looks like 40-50 participated all day Friday. I saw more than 100 people just at Osbornes' Curve on Saturday.

It was a very fun event and kudos to CSX, SARM, Kingsport COC, and the numerous individuals who made it all happen.

Loyd L.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #308
JimThias

Too bad they had to paint over that beautiful C&O paint scheme with a boring Clinchfield scheme.

(now it's time to run away from the angry crowd with pitchforks! hahaha)

Old 11-21-2017, 05:32 AM   #309
troy12n

Quote:
Too bad they had to paint over that beautiful C&O paint scheme with a boring Clinchfield scheme.
That C&O paint was looking pretty ratty... I saw it up close in 2014 at Spencer and it was showing it's age there.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:50 AM   #310
JimThias

I mean...yeah, it's a cool concept, and Happy Thanksgiving and all, but holy crap, can you say "UNLEVEL"?!

Image © David Carballido-Jeans
PhotoID: 638862
Photograph © David Carballido-Jeans

Old 11-25-2017, 03:51 AM   #311
JimThias

Quote:
That C&O paint was looking pretty ratty... I saw it up close in 2014 at Spencer and it was showing it's age there.
That wasn't a reply I was expecting.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:54 PM   #312
bigiron

Just took at quick look at the thumbnails for today as I haven't been much on the site the last few months and happen to click on a picture that I know the area well and wonder how some glitches slipped by on this one with the number of much better shots submitted by the photog?

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 638939
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder

Being during the daylight the first question I have is what is the meteor shower affect in the sky from, over processing? The train and tree edges have a muddled look to them and drone or not many clearer shots don't make the cut, guess with this thread some things are status quo . Trying to make sense of things and get a little education too even though some things seem to make NO sense I know !

My 2 cents, Rich

Last edited by bigiron; 11-25-2017 at 05:57 PM.
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:11 PM   #313
RobJor

The question I have about the sky is it would be very easy to deal with most of the the artifacts where ever they came from. So how do you not see that when you review your own image critically? There are other things but I guess you could say the overall scene might carry it but not skies like that??? are just too obvious even if you are on the bye list.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #314
miningcamper1

Everything's leaning eastward as well.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:10 AM   #315
bigbassloyd

Typical Burkholder quality.

Loyd L.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:46 AM   #316
loomus78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
Just took at quick look at the thumbnails for today as I haven't been much on the site the last few months and happen to click on a picture that I know the area well and wonder how some glitches slipped by on this one with the number of much better shots submitted by the photog?

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 638939
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder

Being during the daylight the first question I have is what is the meteor shower affect in the sky from, over processing? The train and tree edges have a muddled look to them and drone or not many clearer shots don't make the cut, guess with this thread some things are status quo . Trying to make sense of things and get a little education too even though some things seem to make NO sense I know !

My 2 cents, Rich

Seeing that image just makes me feel like my eyes are being stabbed with needles.
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #317
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
The question I have about the sky is it would be very easy to deal with most of the the artifacts where ever they came from. So how do you not see that when you review your own image critically? There are other things but I guess you could say the overall scene might carry it but not skies like that??? are just too obvious even if you are on the bye list.

Bob
I have to wonder if some of the issues that folks are detecting in this image were missed because of mobile processing....meaning perhaps it was a quickie edit done in the car on some mobile device, for the purpose of getting it out quickly....for whatever reason. These days, there seems to be an emphasis on instant gratification. During my last charter, a couple of weeks back, I am told that certain attendees had photos all over the internet before everyone made it to their hotel rooms. Not being a F***book addict, I was unaware of it. But now having seen some of the results of that kind of activity, the only thing I can say is that sometimes, when you want it bad, that's how you get it.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #318
bigiron

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I have to wonder if some of the issues that folks are detecting in this image were missed because of mobile processing....meaning perhaps it was a quickie edit done in the car on some mobile device, for the purpose of getting it out quickly....for whatever reason. These days, there seems to be an emphasis on instant gratification. During my last charter, a couple of weeks back, I am told that certain attendees had photos all over the internet before everyone made it to their hotel rooms. Not being a F***book addict, I was unaware of it. But now having seen some of the results of that kind of activity, the only thing I can say is that sometimes, when you want it bad, that's how you get it.
Kevin, you have some good points but it boils down to the argument of an apparent "double standard" with screeners when you see shots get in and then see some rejected ones on the forum that seem to have better quality and pass the other criteria! It just makes for more threads like this , but it could be in the quest to get more "views/hits" for the site using certain photogs at the expense of keeping standards in line. In this day of shots getting in that have been "photoshopped" into made up shots, obvious issues such as the sky and the muddled look to the engines should be addressed even if it takes time, IMO. If it can't get fixed then it should not be accepted but I'm just a outsider to the site and can only give my opinion .

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #319
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Yes, but he had 21 months to fix the flaws on this one!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:14 AM   #320
troy12n

Quote:
I mean...yeah, it's a cool concept, and Happy Thanksgiving and all, but holy crap, can you say "UNLEVEL"?!

Image © David Carballido-Jeans
PhotoID: 638862
Photograph © David Carballido-Jeans
Those type of shots are pretty difficult. I have done a couple of them, and shooting at a super wide-angle on full frame with lots of verticals in the near-ground it's pretty hard to keep everything level because of wide-angle distortion. In fact, out of the camera, it's impossible. You can fix it in post obviously with photoshop perspective correction. And it's obvious he didn't do it, or at least completely do it.

I remember it took me quite a few attempts to get these shots accepted on here, and always for level if I remember right. These were all shot on a tripod, and I had the luxury of having the entire place to myself, didn't have to move stuff around waiting for a train. Also this was back when trains were more common on this stretch of the C&O

Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 457805
Photograph © Troy Nolen

and
Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 463573
Photograph © Troy Nolen

and
Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 474104
Photograph © Troy Nolen

I'm not saying any of my shots are great, but I was proud of what I got out of them at the time. The day was a complete washout, dreary, cold, brutal day for photography.

Last edited by troy12n; 11-27-2017 at 02:18 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:14 AM   #321
JimThias

Quote:
Those type of shots are pretty difficult. I have done a couple of them, and shooting at a super wide-angle on full frame with lots of verticals in the near-ground it's pretty hard to keep everything level because of wide-angle distortion.
Uhhh...what? Dude, I've been shooting real estate for a living for nearly 11 years and a room like that is a PIECE OF CAKE to fix. Come on...it's just lazy editing and lazy screening.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:19 AM   #322
troy12n

Quote:
Uhhh...what? Dude, I've been shooting real estate for a living for nearly 11 years and a room like that is a PIECE OF CAKE to fix. Come on...it's just lazy editing and lazy screening.
Well, I will admit lazy screening, like I said, I had mine rejected multiple times. Maybe they gave a shit more back then, maybe they are just phoning it in at this point.

I don't do a lot of shots like that, so it was challenging to me.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:13 AM   #323
JimThias

Yeah, I remember those, and I think I remember playing around with the first one. I probably should have done the other two as well, because your verticals are f*cked on those.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:15 AM   #324
amtrak07t

Troy,

It seems that you shot those three images at 17mm on a full frame camera(according to the EXIF information)

David's was shot with a 28mm on a crop sensor.

Shooting with the 17mm FX is going to have significantly more distortion than the 28mm DX. Indoor shots are still difficult, but your shot -with that lens- would be significantly harder.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:18 AM   #325
JimThias

Seriously....1 minute of intoxicated sloppy editing resulted in this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	showimage.php.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	9541

Starting from the raw file sans beer consumption would have resulted in a the verticals being perfect.