Old 11-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
Daniel SIMON

Default Screening inconsistency (again and again)

Screening inconsistency (again and again)

Rejected picture (PAQ):

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...08&key=8245844

Accepted picture:

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 638373
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg

I agree that Jean-Marc's picture shows more "action", but does this justify the different judgment between the two photos ???

Daniel
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
SAR Connecta

The rejected photo lacks the activity and authenticity of the accepted one. I like the inclusion of the entire layout diagram in the rejected photo though.

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
RobJor

I dn't see PAQ in yours, a problem I could see if it turned up just after the accepted. If your was first, I would be upset. One note, most of the images from this charter are pretty nice and I have no problem with any one individual photo but at some point....?
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
Daniel SIMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I dn't see PAQ in yours, a problem I could see if it turned up just after the accepted. If your was first, I would be upset. One note, most of the images from this charter are pretty nice and I have no problem with any one individual photo but at some point....?
My picture has been rejected a few days ago, so yes, I am upset.

Don't get me wrong. I am not upset because Jean-Marc's picture has been accepted (this shot deserves to be in the database), but I am upset by the inconsistency of the screening process !
Old 11-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
KevinM

Charters....love 'em....hate 'em. Love 'em because you get to see operations that would otherwise never happen today. Hate 'em because there are other good photographers (sometimes way too many) who are photographing the same things. In a tight location such as this one, people have to cycle through in small groups and sure as shootin', the great set-up that exists when Group A goes through will be gone by the time Group C gets there. Then, there's always the "me-first" guy who is posting all of the good scenes from his hotel room, before the charter is even over. By the time most of us get home, we have little enthusiasm to even process the shots. I usually save them for later. Perhaps years later, when everyone has forgotten all about the trip. The older I get, the more difficult it will become to do that.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
Daniel SIMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Then, there's always the "me-first" guy who is posting all of the good scenes from his hotel room, before the charter is even over. By the time most of us get home, we have little enthusiasm to even process the shots. I usually save them for later. Perhaps years later, when everyone has forgotten all about the trip. The older I get, the more difficult it will become to do that.
Hi Kevin,

Based on your above comment, I think that we both belong to the "old school" guys ......

Daniel
Old 11-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

Yes, the operator actually using the levers in his shot completely justifies yours getting rejected.

Put away the RP hates me because I'm not American for a few minutes and actually look at the compositions. Dude holding a flag and one posted up by the window isn't even close to being as compositionally functional as his. Also, your flag guy is pretty blurry. So in my unprofessional opinion, JM has your shot beat technically and aesthetically.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
Daniel SIMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Put away the RP hates me because I'm not American for a few minutes.
Loyd L.
Loyd,

Why do you mention this ? This was not at all the reason why I have posted this thread.

Coming back to the RP definition of Poor Aesthetic Quality: This rejection means that the photo is of low aesthetic qualities, does not contain enough rail-related content, or is simply not the type of material we wish to publish.

Jean-Marc's picture and mine are showing the same place with the same rail-related content (we were standing close to each other when we took the photos). As I have mentioned earlier, his picture is showing some "action" and is therefore more appealing.

Daniel
Old 11-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
My picture has been rejected a few days ago, so yes, I am upset.

Don't get me wrong. I am not upset because Jean-Marc's picture has been accepted (this shot deserves to be in the database), but I am upset by the inconsistency of the screening process !
I don't see any inconsistency at all. Jean-Marc already posted the image that should be accepted. Had you posted the same one, it may have been rejected for "similar to previous." (in that case you could just resubmit it in six months or so) However, nothing is happening in your image and there is no reason it should be added.

I'd liken it to an accepted shot of a train passing, and then the next one of the same exact scene sans train being rejected because nothing is happening.

By the way, if you were standing next to him, why didn't you submit a shot of the guy working the levers?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

low aesthetic quality.. check

enough rail-related content - should have did a nice creamy selective focus zoom of the levers, but as it stands, it probably has enough rail-related content.

not what they want to publish.. check.

You took a snapshot. JM got the composition.

And I do feel that your postings are biased by your belief that RP is out to poop on your parade because you don't celebrate July 4th. Sorry.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 11-20-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
KevinM

Hi Daniel,

I'm thinking that this is not the kind of shot that would have me digging my heels in with RP. Like you, I do lots of charters and there's always SOMEBODY who is fortunate enough to have positioned him/herself to get the best composition of anybody on the charter. Most of the time, that somebody is not me. My best shots actually occur when I'm not shoulder-to-shoulder with others.

In the case of JMF's shot, he's got the composition and the action. In an image like this, action is pretty important. I might have asked one of the crew to "pose" as if he was moving the levers, even though it might not have been possible to actually perform the action. That would have given you a similar shot to JMF's. RP has been awfully lenient lately about STP (Similar to Previous). I see them all the time now. I suspect they would have taken yours, and if not, Lloyd's advice would apply. Wait until everyone forgets.

As the Kenny Rogers tune once said: "You've got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em."

I used to be obsessed with how many charter shots I could post. That is no longer the case. I post far more stuff on Flickr than I do here. The audience here seems to get sick of a subject really quickly. If you post more than 5-8 from a charter, you've burned it out and you've lost your audience, so pick the best of the best and post the rest of the collection on Flickr or some other site that you control.

My stuff is here.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
Daniel SIMON

Quote:
Hi Daniel,

I used to be obsessed with how many charter shots I could post. That is no longer the case. I post far more stuff on Flickr than I do here. The audience here seems to get sick of a subject really quickly. If you post more than 5-8 from a charter, you've burned it out and you've lost your audience, so pick the best of the best and post the rest of the collection on Flickr or some other site that you control.
Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for your wise advice ! You are correct in mentioning that the audience quickly get bored with too many shots from a same trip, but Jean-Marc and I have got so many nice locations and shots during our trip to Myanmar that we wanted to share all of them with you. On the other hand, it is a pity, because I believe that all these photos that are posted from these "exotic" countries add a lot to the interest of RP.net.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
Hi Kevin,

On the other hand, it is a pity, because I believe that all these photos that are posted from these "exotic" countries add a lot to the interest of RP.net.
Hi Daniel,

Yes, and I enjoy seeing them. Not being much inclined to visit some of the exotic places that you and he travel to (such as Iran ), the photos you post are probably the only views of those places that I will ever see.

My stuff is here.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #14
Daniel SIMON

Quote:
Hi Daniel,

Yes, and I enjoy seeing them. Not being much inclined to visit some of the exotic places that you and he travel to (such as Iran ), the photos you post are probably the only views of those places that I will ever see.
Hi Kevin,

It would be a pleasure to welcome you on one of our next travels ...... Not all the places we are visiting are "exotic". On our trip to Myanmar, we have an American guy from Pueblo CO with us. He enjoyed the tour very much.

Daniel
Old 11-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #15
troy12n

I'm going to agree with everyone else, I think both photos are pretty sub-par quality, but JMF's picture has the guy throwing a lever which adds a level of interest to me versus some dudes standing around looking foreign
Old 11-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #16
RobJor

"Dudes looking foreign." A classic.

I think interior shots where you don't have control are hard, at least for me. If you can't produce the scene it is hard to control blown out highlights etc. A "foreign dude" throwing the lever, yes that is better. Not in the least important for me. I was intrigued by the scene imperfect as it is. The board in English, the idea of this old equipment maintained in this environment, the construction, etc. This is a vestige of past British construction that will soon vanish. Not accepting either because the capture is not perfect is short sighted in my opinion.

Bob Jordan

Last edited by RobJor; 11-21-2017 at 07:48 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #17
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
"Dudes looking foreign." A classic.

And from the "dudes" POV, it's the camera-toting railfans that are "foreign".

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 11-21-2017 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo
miningcamper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #18
Daniel MINACA

Quote:
...The audience here seems to get sick of a subject really quickly. If you post more than 5-8 from a charter, you've burned it out and you've lost your audience...
What about this subject where I don't really see any differences about thousand pictures posted in a week and where 80% are cloudy ?
http://www.railpictures.net/showphot...ve=EMD%20F7(A)
This train is beautiful and have really an intersest but accepting all cloudy is very strange...
Old 11-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #19
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel MINACA View Post
What about this subject where I don't really see any differences about thousand pictures posted in a week and where 80% are cloudy ?
This train is beautiful and have really an intersest but accepting all cloudy is very strange...
Hi Daniel,

Just because I don't post everything I shot from a charter or an event doesn't mean that others won't do it. I try not to bore the audience and I use the view-counts to tell me when they're getting sick of a particular subject. If the audience is getting sick of an event, and I still have what I consider to be good shots from that event, I will hold them for months or years until they're "fresh" again.

Some folks don't care about view-counts or audience reaction. Perhaps they just want them "out there", or perhaps they are trying to build a portfolio. Everyone has their own reasons for posting here. When it comes to events and charters, RP has shown a lot of tolerance for saturated coverage, including multiple similar shots, cloudy, dark, whatever. News trumps the normal rules. Look at some of the shots of new paint schemes, etc. Sometimes the first photos are awful when compared to subsequent ones in better light, but news is news.

As for this particular event, I admit to not having clicked on a single one. In general, diesels and electrics don't interest me much, unless they are elements in a particularly interesting/pretty scene, or unless the paint scheme is particularly attractive. This scheme might have been historic, but it was not much of an eye-catcher.

My stuff is here.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #20
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel MINACA View Post
Because it was only Sunny in 1 spot for about 8 minutes on Saturday, and the majority of the RP screeners have major wood for the Clinchfield.

The highlight of the day for me was Pals in Kingsport.. lol

Loyd L.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #21
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Because it was only Sunny in 1 spot for about 8 minutes on Saturday, and the majority of the RP screeners have major wood for the Clinchfield.

The highlight of the day for me was Pals in Kingsport.. lol

Loyd L.
A lot of people would have loved to be there, as, especially on CSX, things like this are so infrequent. Yeah, the Santa train still runs, and ran when most of that part of the Clinchfield didn't have any through traffic the last couple years, but for CSX, which has been anti-steam and seemingly anti-anything not their locomotive the last 20 or so years to do this, it was a big deal.

I'm glad I got to shoot 611 the last couple years, the rumors I am hearing is that NS isn't letting it run anymore.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #22
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
A lot of people would have loved to be there, as, especially on CSX, things like this are so infrequent. Yeah, the Santa train still runs, and ran when most of that part of the Clinchfield didn't have any through traffic the last couple years, but for CSX, which has been anti-steam and seemingly anti-anything not their locomotive the last 20 or so years to do this, it was a big deal.

I'm glad I got to shoot 611 the last couple years, the rumors I am hearing is that NS isn't letting it run anymore.
It was a fun weekend. I went down with my oldest son and just did our own thing.

As for 611... NS isn't directly supporting it being ran. They will allow it to run anywhere that Amtrak runs this year though. There's some interesting conversations going on regarding where 611 may end up next year (and the years after that). Stay tuned.

Loyd L.