Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
jdirelan87

Default Screener Consistany

First, let me perferance this by saying I 100% support the idea of screening for this site and I understand that with that comes some inheret inconsistency.

However, what I do not like is how some subjects are no good one day but three months later get the green light. Case in point;

Image © vanislescotty
PhotoID: 203506
Photograph © vanislescotty

I'm sure most older posters remember at least one instant of literally the exact same idea (a tractor pulling a covered hopper) was reject for bad motive.

Now, I understand that taste vary for, say artsy shots, but I think the sceeners should at least be able to agree on what concepts should be allowed (ie, station shots: yes, tractor shots: no, signal shots: yes, etc.)
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
First, let me perferance this by saying I 100% support the idea of screening for this site and I understand that with that comes some inheret inconsistency.

However, what I do not like is how some subjects are no good one day but three months later get the green light. Case in point;

Image © vanislescotty
PhotoID: 203506
Photograph © vanislescotty

I'm sure most older posters remember at least one instant of literally the exact same idea (a tractor pulling a covered hopper) was reject for bad motive.

Now, I understand that taste vary for, say artsy shots, but I think the sceeners should at least be able to agree on what concepts should be allowed (ie, station shots: yes, tractor shots: no, signal shots: yes, etc.)
John, most concepts are "allowed", but it's usually execution that is the most important factor when it comes down to what gets accepted. I don't recall the shot you mention, but you have to look at lighting, composition, etc. was it EXACTLY the same or similar.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
John, most concepts are "allowed", but it's usually execution that is the most important factor when it comes down to what gets accepted. I don't recall the shot you mention, but you have to look at lighting, composition, etc. was it EXACTLY the same or similar.
I will admit, it was along time since I saw the shot in question, but I can confidently say that it met all the 'standards' of a wedgie, in fact, that was one of the points brought up in the thread.

One again, remember I do completely support the screening process here, but that doesn't mean I dont think there are some kinks that can be worked out.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

I screened that shot today, and accepted it because I thought it was unique, kind of cool, and would be an interesting shot for our viewers. I don't recall the shot from 3 months ago, either, but I think expecting us to lay out absolute yes/no scenarios for every conceivable type of photo motive is asking a lot. There are almost limitless motive types, and it would be impossible to not only lay out, but to keep straight afterward.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:25 AM   #5
JimThias

Nice story to go along with that shot, but I'm leery that it is just that...a story. How easy would it to be to back a tractor up to some railcars, throw a chain out there, snap a few shots, and then try to fool the world by telling them the tractor is used to move the railcars? Just sayin...

How about some action shots?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:09 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Nice story to go along with that shot, but I'm leery that it is just that...a story. How easy would it to be to back a tractor up to some railcars, throw a chain out there, snap a few shots, and then try to fool the world by telling them the tractor is used to move the railcars? Just sayin...
All that, just to maybe get a shot on RP? Don't think so...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 AM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
All that...what? Backing a tractor up and throwing a chain isn't that hard.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:55 AM   #8
Ween

Quote:
I'd say it's a lot less effort than say using a saw to cut down some rogue branches that might be in your shot...
Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
Northern Limits

There are some animal feed places where this pic was taken, and the line is serviced by shortline Southern Railways of BC. Cars were usually spotted in the mill compounds at night, so I can see them using something like a John Deere (in farm country) to move cars in the unloading bays.
I've seen cars moved with loaders or forklifts (read, been there done that ), but there was always someone riding the hand brake.

With regards to John's original comment: yeah I know, but I'm not bitter about my excavators on hi-railers pictures being rejected.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:12 AM   #10
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I have backed my car up to an InterCity Express sitting outside Downer EDI and taken a shot for amusement purposes. Don't know how well it would actually work. Although, Downer EDI use a shunt tractor to move the cars around all the time.

The acceptance of arty shots here has always appeared to be a bit random.

For example I sumbitted this streak shot and it was rejected for bad motive. But months earlier, my mate submitted a different streak shot and it was obviously accepted. What is the difference between the two photos?

I agree with Chris though when he says that it is difficult to set guidelines for every possible railway related photo.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:27 AM   #11
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
For example I sumbitted this streak shot and it was rejected for bad motive. But months earlier, my mate submitted a different streak shot and it was obviously accepted. What is the difference between the two photos?
Much more interesting light in the accepted photo and seems to have a better "environment" feel to it. Plus, in your photo you can see through the train which is something I'm not a big fan of. Not sure how other people feel about it though.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:58 AM   #12
sd9

Quote:
I will admit, it was along time since I saw the shot in question, but I can confidently say that it met all the 'standards' of a wedgie, in fact, that was one of the points brought up in the thread.

One again, remember I do completely support the screening process here, but that doesn't mean I dont think there are some kinks that can be worked out.

My two cents,
Being somewhat new to this site, I often wonder sometimes just exactly what kind of pictures are acceptable, for instance, I submitted a pic taken at the EJ&E yard of a crew removing a section of track with two sd38-2's in the background (one was the EJ&E 666) ..it was rejected for forground clutter.
I thought it depicted typical yard operations with a nice background.
isn't part of the reason for this site, is to take pictures, to document history in the making?
(since today the EJ&E is history, being bought out by CN )

and when I see countless pictures in TRAINS mag. that are Backlit,
like this month's foldout of the 6 UP heritage units, all six on one page are backlit, so they would of been all rejected on this site, right?

I know the screeners have a thankless job and spend a great deal of time morning noon and night to make this site possible and I have to admit, I have become a lot better at taking pictures because of the rejections I have received, and find it a challenge to get pics accepted, but I too think there are some kinks that can be worked out.

just my two cents
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #13
Mgoldman

Quote:
I'm sure most older posters remember at least one instant of literally the exact same idea ... was rejected for bad motive.
I hear ya John - I can't recall if this was just before or just after it was "fashionable" to shoot kids and trains but this shot was rejected about 1 years ago for bad motive. I think I had seen similar prior to my rejection which was rather frustrating at the time.

/Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3985Boy.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	466.0 KB
ID:	2193  
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 AM   #14
Rich K

What exactly is a "Bad Motive" rejection? I have had shots rejected for lots of reasons, but I have never had one rejected for this exact reason.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #15
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

It is basically a photo with poor aesthetics or simply something RailPictures do not wish to publish.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #16
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
It is basically a photo with poor aesthetics or simply something RailPictures do not wish to publish.
A couple of excellent examples in threads here on the forums:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=4637
http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=5542
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:30 AM   #17
WetRailsWA

Send a message via MSN to WetRailsWA

Quote:
Guys have purchased junker cars and smashed them with a felled tree, just to get on America's Funniest Home Videos. One never knows the extent to which some people will go...

WetRailsWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:31 AM   #18
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by becker
Quote:
A couple of excellent examples in threads here on the forums:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=4637
http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=5542
They're not viewable anymore, but I can tell from the heated responses and the fact that the member is now banned that they wouldn't have been too crash hot.