Old 11-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default At wits end with this stuff.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=630898774

I'm sure everyone and their mother has shot the crap out of one location, and I'm sure the same people are getting tired of mindless, one armed monkey, wedgie shots. Sure, power is great sometimes, but this is the best of the net. I am in no way saying the above is best of the net, but with all this above mention of relentless over shooting, over wedgie-fying every spot on this god given earth, we are forced to think outside of the box, no? Maybe I can crop in a little tighter, maybe. A full sized train would have helped here, yes. But a derailment 100 miles to the east of here halted all traffic for most of the day and this AVR move was the only thing running. What do you think? Crop in more? This is basically the original image, the placement of the train and the space around it mostly how the original is. I give up, honestly. Tell us RP, what do YOU want? Because I just don't know anymore.

Ben
Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
JimThias

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

fabulous leaves. do you have a shot with the train closer forward?
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
asis80

Unfortunately no....BUT. Even if I did, I like the placement. If I were to change anything, maybe the units slightly forward, and I mean ever so slightly.

Ben
Old 11-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Relax, Ben. You want RP to tell you what we want... I personally think the shot is empty. You have what appears to be one engine, far in the distance with an extremely dull foreground. Your other efforts at this location have been far better, including the one I just accepted.

No need to get bent out of shape...

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=630898774

I'm sure everyone and their mother has shot the crap out of one location, and I'm sure the same people are getting tired of mindless, one armed monkey, wedgie shots. Sure, power is great sometimes, but this is the best of the net. I am in no way saying the above is best of the net, but with all this above mention of relentless over shooting, over wedgie-fying every spot on this god given earth, we are forced to think outside of the box, no? Maybe I can crop in a little tighter, maybe. A full sized train would have helped here, yes. But a derailment 100 miles to the east of here halted all traffic for most of the day and this AVR move was the only thing running. What do you think? Crop in more? This is basically the original image, the placement of the train and the space around it mostly how the original is. I give up, honestly. Tell us RP, what do YOU want? Because I just don't know anymore.

Ben
Are you serious or joking? I cant really tell if you submitted that as a joke or not...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #7
asis80

I am quite serious. Someone told me you would say exactly what you just typed, Troy. lol

Ben
Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #8
coborn35

I dont care for the fence in the foreground, but I do love the leaves overhead. Why did you not get a shot of the engines closer?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #9
asis80

That's all the farther they went, to get headroom past the signal to throw a switch behind them.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #10
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
I am quite serious. Someone told me you would say exactly what you just typed, Troy. lol

Ben
I'm pretty predictable I guess.

At any rate, I don't know about the train too far away, but the composition reject is correct.

Furthermore, I would think the following would have been appropriate rejects:
Unlevel
Foreground clutter
soft
some sort of lighting reject
blown out sky
maybe cropping

Dont take this personal, but i'm surprised you would even submit that.

The fence in the foreground is the worst part about it, that totally kills it... for me anyway
Old 11-14-2011, 03:08 AM   #11
Mgoldman

Gotta second Chase, Ben.

The engine is kind of centered in the scene, so there's your composition /balance reject. Actually, if you had framed the train more to the right it would've been more appealing. Then, you'd have only a PEQ. A blurry foreground rarely works leaving you with a single diesel in the distance on an overcast day.

Now, stop giving the screeners ammunition!!!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #12
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I dont care for the fence in the foreground, but I do love the leaves overhead. Why did you not get a shot of the engines closer?
That was almost what I intended to say (so, you're obviously a brilliant guy...).

I love the scene---including the placement of the locomotive. The fence in the foreground kills it for me. Had you just raised the camera and forgotten about including that particular element, I think it would have been a dynamite shot.

Having the train closer would have sucked canal water.....
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
Joe the Photog

I think you got track effed. The train was on the right track. I say try this again with a train coming all the way through the scene and not on the far right track. FWIW, I like the idea, but the execution wasn't there this time.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #14
Joe the Photog

I do like that this thread proves what we always say about photography in general and screening at RP -- it's all subjective. I like the fence idea, but that doesn't mean that Ron and others who don't are wrong. Although it does mean that I'm right.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #15
Mr. Pick

This one's nice. Same general location?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=381027&nseq=0
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #16
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Are you serious or joking? I cant really tell if you submitted that as a joke or not...
Quote:

Ben
I'm with Troy here, generally speaking. And I have to disagree with Coburn; foreground leaves are nice but that totally blurred blob upper left is pretty bad in my book. Are they within 3 feet of the camera? I don't think I have ever seen a shot try to have that sort of a foliage blob.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
IHapsias

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 381027
Photograph © Ben Sutton

You got one on and its creative, so why worry about the rejected shot. It could have been rejected for similar to previous with chris lokey's shot, but wasn't. And I'm not complaining, its a great creative shot, they both are, but the rejected one is maybe too creative for RP.

Image © Chris Lokey
PhotoID: 380986
Photograph © Chris Lokey

Last edited by IHapsias; 11-14-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
Mr. Pick

I spent a good 4 hours this weekend looking through pictures here on RP.net, and on a couple of other rail picture sights. I have to say, there is a marked difference between the quality of shots on this site vs many others.

Not to pick on anyone in particular, but this is a picture that is way too typical of pictures on other sites where there is apparently no screening at all (be sure and read the poster's comment at the top...):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1239854

While screening inevitably leads to disagreement and hurt feelings from time to time, as a new guy with fresh eyes, I think it's worth it. I have no desire to have my pictures posted on those other sites. I do want to eventually submit pictures and have them accepted here and will take pride in them.

Last edited by Mr. Pick; 11-14-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
nikos1

What makes all the other shots here "mindless, one armed monkey, wedgie shots"? the composition of the shots that Ian posted are much better. In a spot like this even if the composition is fairly standard the shot is still interesting because of the location. Just because its different doesnt mean its good. Go and reshoot on a day when more trains are running if the leaves last, you need something on the far track closer to the camera for the composition to work, and find a way to use the leaves to block the white sky.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #20
WMHeilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
What makes all the other shots here "mindless, one armed monkey, wedgie shots"?
He never said that "all the other shots" are mindless, rather he said "people are getting tired of the mindless, one armed monkey, wedgie shots."

While I won't name any names, there are several contributors who show little to no creativity. To each their own, but I'd rather be creative. I'm tired of all the wedgies with nothing but the train. A well-executed wedgie is fine, as long as there's some sort of scenery, older signals, something.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
Joe the Photog

Mr. Pick;

That site which you linked that shot from is not meant to compete with this site quality wise. It is not screened and it doesn't claim to have the best pictures on the net. That would be like comparing some of the better TV shows on network out there to some local access cable show put on by Wayne and Garth. Not a fair comparision.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #22
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
Not to pick on anyone in particular, but this is a picture that is way too typical of pictures on other sites where there is apparently no screening at all (be sure and read the poster's comment at the top...):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1239854
Dude, that's a well executed blur shot. It's also very artistic composition showing the duality of the railfan. On one hand you have the train headed one way, and the highway sign pointing in the opposite direction. Which way should you head? I don't know. Also the truck/rig in the background showing competing modes of transport. It's also leaning which shows it's authenticity versus all the boring level shots you see on railpictures. The world is not flat! You also have the environmental element of clouds, very ominous. And it's a YN2 standard cab!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #23
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Mr. Pick;

That site which you linked that shot from is not meant to compete with this site quality wise. It is not screened and it doesn't claim to have the best pictures on the net. That would be like comparing some of the better TV shows on network out there to some local access cable show put on by Wayne and Garth. Not a fair comparision.
I probably didn't articulate what I was trying to say very well. My bad. Let me try again. The point was to show the impact screening has on this site by looking at a too typical shot from an unscreened site.

So, while there is pain and suffering when the rules seem too rigid and a submitted shot is rejected, maybe even unfairly, overall the pain is worth it. If there is no enforced standard, even a subjective one, then the above picture is what you would ultimately end up with here.

Last edited by Mr. Pick; 11-14-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool Close but no banana

The reject had the potential to be far more interesting than the one that got accepted. The trackwork is interesting and the placement of the single unit in the distance is nice understatement. But the out of focus fence kills it and the overall composition is not right. Close but no banana.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Although Ben went for the gusto and came up short, he still earns a Schlitz in my book.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote