Old 04-28-2017, 03:07 AM   #1
troy12n

Default Does this have any merit?

Any merit to this?

Here's another one: I know the train is on the far left of the screen. Was hoping to capture the visual spectacle that this was in it's entirety...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...45&key=2929736

Last edited by troy12n; 06-09-2017 at 02:11 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:49 AM   #2
bigbassloyd

Judging from what I couldn't do with it in photoshop, I think you overshot the limits of that 40d. I owned and used one for a couple years, and it would simply choke when it came to highly dynamic scenes. Perhaps if the original was previewed, I could give some advice as I think it could possibly work. As it stands, the IQ is pretty bad; it's noisy, slightly blurry, and the contrast seems way off.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
JimThias

It's got that really unappealing blue haze look to it. Keep it for your private collection.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
It's got that really unappealing blue haze look to it. Keep it for your private collection.
Yeah, that's fixable, but what Loyd said about the graininess is true.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Judging from what I couldn't do with it in photoshop, I think you overshot the limits of that 40d. I owned and used one for a couple years, and it would simply choke when it came to highly dynamic scenes. Perhaps if the original was previewed, I could give some advice as I think it could possibly work. As it stands, the IQ is pretty bad; it's noisy, slightly blurry, and the contrast seems way off.

Loyd L.
My "state of the art, 10 years ago" equipment is really shows it's age under conditions like this...

I was shooting with a 100-400L on a tripod, focus seemed ok in the raw's. But that noise...

40d was never a good high ISO camera, I think I shot it at ISO640, which is a stretch for that body

I wanted something different, gambled and lost... and now regret that decision

I've got several others with just the 611, closer, with no Amtrak i'm going to play with. I wanted to give this one a shot first
Old 04-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

I was shooting with a 100-400L on a tripod, focus seemed ok in the raw's. But that noise...
I've never used my 150-600 on a tripod for train stuff, the FF made me a bit lazy when you can simply crank the iso to stupid levels if need be.

Quote:
40d was never a good high ISO camera, I think I shot it at ISO640, which is a stretch for that body
It was a letdown north of iso400. It didn't last long in night duty for me, but the color depth was quite nice on the sunny days.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #7
troy12n

Quote:
It was a letdown north of iso400. It didn't last long in night duty for me, but the color depth was quite nice on the sunny days.
Yeah, it's still I think a very good body if you can keep it at ISO 200 (sunny days). Focus system is superior to my other body (5d mk 1), which really the only focus point worth a shit is center point.

I was actually looking at camera bodies the other day, but considering how infrequently I get to go out and shoot anymore, it really is not a sound financial decision to buy something new(er). Even used 5d mk 3 or 7d mk 2 are pretty pricy
Old 04-30-2017, 01:44 AM   #8
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Focus system is superior to my other body (5d mk 1), which really the only focus point worth a shit is center point.
People use other focus points besides the center? I learned CPF from the beginning, and haven't strayed. I may look a little funny moving the camera around during shooting, but I only want myself to blame when the focus is screwed up. 6d is a rockstar with me driving the center focus .

Loyd L.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:28 PM   #9
troy12n

Quote:
People use other focus points besides the center? I learned CPF from the beginning, and haven't strayed. I may look a little funny moving the camera around during shooting, but I only want myself to blame when the focus is screwed up. 6d is a rockstar with me driving the center focus .

Loyd L.
All i'm saying is that it's really nice to compose a shot on a tripod, wait for the object to hit that AF point and hit shoot, and have it reliably in focus.

ESPECIALLY on a crop frame body (like the 40d). My progression of digital camera bodies went from Digital Rebel XTi to 40d. When I got the 5d, and it was actually a step backwards in this regard, I blew a lot of shots learning (re-learning) to rely on just the CF AF spot. It was a regression in features to me, although I lives with it because image quality was so superior, and it was full frame.

I have indeed gone down the rabbit hole of looking for a new body and can get a used 6d for a little over a grand.

My options are 6d, 5d3, 1d4. With the 6d being the cheapest by a considerable margin...
Old 05-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
bigbassloyd

I have nothing bad to say about the 6d. Sure, it's not fancy or loaded down with all the bells and whistles and such, but it sure makes a pretty stack of 1s and 0s.

Loyd L.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
People use other focus points besides the center? I learned CPF from the beginning, and haven't strayed. I may look a little funny moving the camera around during shooting, but I only want myself to blame when the focus is screwed up.
I'm the same way, Loyd. However, if I have my camera on a tripod, I'll move the single point around the frame until I find the exact spot I want to focus on. But for hand held, it's always the center point and "aim, focus, compose" prior to taking the shot.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #12
troy12n

Same Q for this shot

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...81&key=3025758
Old 05-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #13
bigbassloyd

Me thinks you went a little heavy handed when you lightened up the side of the train. Coupled with the truer to life nose, it just looks bad.

Loyd L.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:51 AM   #14
Pkwlsn

The blacks in the nose are totally crushed. It looks a little weird when paired with the unnaturally light side of the engine. The contrast is kind of all over the place too. The tree, for example, has a stark edge running right through the outer branches where some kind of local adjustment ended. I think you could end up with something nice with a little more careful processing though.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 AM   #15
coborn35

Waaaay to much use of the highlight tool. Look at the drivers.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #16
troy12n

Bump, one more:

I know, not typical composition... but that smoke
Old 06-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
KevinM

Quote:
Bump, one more:

Hi Troy,

As a die-hard steam addict, I see what you are going for, but the RP Gods are just not seeing the wafting cloud of smoke as a right-side element. Do you have any frames after the locomotive came through the crossing? That might be an alright shot. I am not seeing the IQ issues right now, but I would never use my work laptop to judge photo IQ.

With regard to camera bodies, if you've had it with the 40D, you might ask around and see if anyone here or in your circle of amigos has an older body that they are willing to part with. The 40D is getting pretty long in the tooth. I gave away all of my old Nikon bodies from that era to family members a couple of years back. The oldest thing I have now is a D7000 crop body and from an ISO standpoint, it probably runs circles around the 40D. My point is that even something 5 years old will be better for you than the 40D, and it should not cost a king's ransom. If you buy it from a friend, you'll at least know how it was treated. If you buy on Craig's List, you'd be rolling the dice. Just to give you an idea how much the value of camera bodies falls off, I bought my D4 for $6,000 in 2013....4 years ago. I had a major camera store offer me $1,700 for it a year ago. It's worth far more than that to me. It's still a kick-ass camera. I would think you could find a 7D that might be a huge improvement for a lot less than a 5D3.

I know folks always stress the value of good glass, but if you shoot in a variety of conditions like I do, the body is important too.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #18
bigbassloyd

The wind got ya Troy. The composition is a bit awkward overall because of the direction the exhaust is going. How did you like the 6d?

Loyd L.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #19
troy12n

Quote:
The wind got ya Troy. The composition is a bit awkward overall because of the direction the exhaust is going. How did you like the 6d?
I wish I had some time to shoot with it before I left. I literally got it 4 days before leaving. I'm not happy with how I exposed my shots early on. But man, the ones I nailed the exposure on, I like what I see. Some of the controls being slightly different took a little getting used to as well.

I ended up using the 40d some as well when the sun was out.

Do you by chance shoot in AI Focus or AI Servo? I was so used to my old bodies, especially the 5d being poor in servo mode, I left it in AI Focus and set the new camera up this way, didn't even try servo.

Last edited by troy12n; 06-09-2017 at 05:58 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #20
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi Troy,

As a die-hard steam addict, I see what you are going for, but the RP Gods are just not seeing the wafting cloud of smoke as a right-side element. Do you have any frames after the locomotive came through the crossing? That might be an alright shot.
I do, I just really liked the effect the smoke plume had in this shot and wanted to see if it would get by. I also made some mistakes switching from vertical to horizontal while shooting this scene. I admittedly made some poor decisions shooting this one, and don't have as many "good" frames of the best run it had in good light

Quote:
I am not seeing the IQ issues right now, but I would never use my work laptop to judge photo IQ.

With regard to camera bodies, if you've had it with the 40D, you might ask around and see if anyone here or in your circle of amigos has an older body that they are willing to part with. The 40D is getting pretty long in the tooth. I gave away all of my old Nikon bodies from that era to family members a couple of years back. The oldest thing I have now is a D7000 crop body and from an ISO standpoint, it probably runs circles around the 40D. My point is that even something 5 years old will be better for you than the 40D, and it should not cost a king's ransom. If you buy it from a friend, you'll at least know how it was treated. If you buy on Craig's List, you'd be rolling the dice. Just to give you an idea how much the value of camera bodies falls off, I bought my D4 for $6,000 in 2013....4 years ago. I had a major camera store offer me $1,700 for it a year ago. It's worth far more than that to me. It's still a kick-ass camera. I would think you could find a 7D that might be a huge improvement for a lot less than a 5D3.
Since I started this thread back in April, I have bought a used (Canon refurb) 6d, and that's what this shot was taken on. So the IQ issues referenced earlier are not really valid.

Quote:
I know folks always stress the value of good glass, but if you shoot in a variety of conditions like I do, the body is important too.
Yep, I was definitely at a point where my glass was better than the body I was shooting on and it was hampering me.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #21
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Do you by chance shoot in AI Focus or AI Servo? I was so used to my old bodies, especially the 5d being poor in servo mode, I left it in AI Focus and set the new camera up this way, didn't even try servo.
I'm a one shot focus kinda guy. Never fiddled with any other setting.

Loyd L.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #22
ShortlinesUSA

I think it could get in with a tighter crop. I would try pulling the left and right margins in a bit, and you could probably even lose a little of the sky. I don't think you'd lose what you're going for. It is an impressive scene, for certain, especially with the "clean stack" principles some of the operators profess these days.

Quote:
Bump, one more:

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #23
KevinM

Quote:
Since I started this thread back in April, I have bought a used (Canon refurb) 6d, and that's what this shot was taken on. So the IQ issues referenced earlier are not really valid.
I'm not a Canon guy, but from what I hear, you should really like the 6D. From an IQ standpoint, it should be light-years ahead of the 40D. Congrats on the upgrade. Now, get your butt out there and shoot!!

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #24
JimThias

I know you really like all that sky and smoke, but in my eyes this scene needs a tighter crop, and that fence was just begging to be a lead-in line from the bottom right corner of the frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3760.1496886723.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	9444

Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #25
troy12n

I have this in my back pocket... completely unedited or cropped

I just really liked it as-submitted, despite the "non-standard for railpictures" composition

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shawsville.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	9445