Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Mgoldman

Default Mom said no to this one.... should I ask Dad?

The bad news is this semi-abstract, non-Photoshopped image with a positive message was rejected. The good news is I am submitting images on the edge and trying to expand our horizons (my own, as well as RP).

It's all in camera, abstract railroading - Darwinistic, yet artistic. Should I ask Dad for a second opinion?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=451994854

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Hi,

I'm not sure about why it was PEQ, I almost want to say this would get rejected for PIQ. I understand you're trying to be artsy-fartsy here, but I think the shot would've been much better, if it was in focus. All of that heat distortion just drives me nuts.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Mgoldman

In focus was not an option considering the heat, however, since it's the story I'm conveying, if not a positive message regarding the dangers of trespassing, focus is no longer of necessity when done in an artistic manner. There are plenty of sharp and focused Darwin candidate photos on RP already, most, though not all, rather uninspiring and more of a news /shock composition. I was hoping to diversify the offerings in that respect while keeping true to the medium (no PS editing or filtering).

Reminded me of Jaws - coming in unseen from the depths.

/Mitch
Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Ok, I see what you're getting at. Well what I said, was just my two cents. Let's see what others say. Good luck with this shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
In focus was not an option considering the heat, however, since it's the story I'm conveying, if not a positive message regarding the dangers of trespassing, focus is no longer of necessity when done in an artistic manner. There are plenty of sharp and focused Darwin candidate photos on RP already, most, though not all, rather uninspiring and more of a news /shock composition. I was hoping to diversify the offerings in that respect while keeping true to the medium (no PS editing or filtering).

Reminded me of Jaws - coming in unseen from the depths.

/Mitch
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
John Craft

Quote:
focus is no longer of necessity when done in an artistic manner.
[Dude]

"Well, that's like, you know, your opinion, man."

[UnDude]

It would be an awesome photo if the trespasser were in focus. As it is, it doesn't work for me.

But by all means keep experimenting.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Mitch you are in dire danger of becoming an artist, at which time you will be exiled from RP forever plus one day. It is the kind of railroad "photograph" my wife would probably let me frame and hang in the living room. Well, maybe not the living room but at least the den. I kinda like it.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #7
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

It's an interesting shot but I am not surprised it got a peq.

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #8
D.Massey

I like it too, Mitch. Makes me think of Frogger, if Frogger had a railroad stage.
D.Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
JRMDC

I like it a good bit, I *might* prefer it to have the foreground sharp, rather than the entire image OOF. Would have to see it. RP won't take it, their loss but I understand why on that end also.

J

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
bigbassloyd

Looks like a bad watercolor conversion in photoshop. Sorry Mitch, I'm not a fan.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey

I like it a lot. Already snatched a copy. I really like the painterly, Monet style and because it's railroading in a wildly different approach from the normal RP image.

However, this stretches RP's conservative boundaries too much. RP knows it's core audience and they don't like anything too far from the ordinary.

I will admit though, that if the runner were in focus, it would have a chance at RP and more main stream acceptance. Actually, it would be crazy popular.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:47 AM   #12
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I like it a lot. Already snatched a copy. I really like the painterly, Monet style and because it's railroading in a wildly different approach from the normal RP image.

However, this stretches RP's conservative boundaries too much. RP knows it's core audience and they don't like anything too far from the ordinary.
You said it - that's exactly my thought and the miracle of it all was I did not have to succumb to any Photoshop trickery to get it. Not only that - but the image IS TRUE TO FORM. What you see is what I saw through the lens. So why the rejection - it's an unaltered - true to life - yet artistic version of the ever so popular Darwin photo with a positive message regarding the well known adage - "You never know when a train is coming".

Monet as seen through the lens unaltered.

Incidentally, this was a planned exposure - I didn't expect the runner but I thought it was a cool composition true to life as seen through the lens.

I'm asking Dad since it appears to have a favored following with the clause that it is but one screener, not an audience consensus that might be add odds with acceptance. As I mentioned to the first screener in the comments - it's better then a "poop" shot.

Thanks for the comments and points of view.

/Mitch
Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #13
Diamond D

No way it gets on RP, but I agree, cool effect, it somehow works with the trespasser. I don't like the cropping though, I'd lose some off the top and even more off the left.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:05 AM   #14
Mgoldman

Thanks Nick - to keep it balanced, I need what's on the left and I like the top as it gives the wires something to hang from in the frame.

/Mitch
Old 09-21-2010, 04:05 AM   #15
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

(Flame suit on)

I don't understand how what was clearly a spur-of-the-moment grab shot of a trespasser with terrible image quality, overwhelming heat haze, and no clear focal point is considered "artistic." I have no doubt you'll come back with a bunch of reasons this is the shot of all shots, Mitch (which is fine), but as you can probably tell, I'm not a fan.

(Flame suit off)

P.S. I see this sitting in the appeal queue and will defer to Mr. Starnes. Maybe he'll see what I'm missing.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:23 AM   #16
Chris Starnes
Administrator

No difference in opinion from my perspective as I was actually the original screener. Just not what we are looking for on several levels.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #17
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

More like CNN iReport from too far away. There is no "art" to it, unless you are Dada.

Quote:
Monet as seen through the lens unaltered.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #18
Freericks
Met Fan

http://arthistory.about.com/cs/arthi...one/a/dada.htm

For those curious about J.E.'s reference... one that I haven't really thought about since grad school.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #19
Mgoldman

Well there, that's all I was looking for - each screener to come on and simply tell it as they saw it. Actually, I was looking for an audience critique and was pleasantly surprised.

I have no desire to spat out a hundred reasons why this is the shot of all shots - it's not. I thought, however, it was interesting - as others have, and thought it might work on RP as it was not an altered image - true to life.

My intent originally was to capture a similar shot without the benefit (for the story) of a trespasser. A mirage was the thought that came to mind - waiting for a train and thinking after a dry spell you were starting to see things.

I still disagree and think my Dog on a Train shot is "aces". The B&O tree pan and WM pace were not top notch shots and my issue then was in comparison with what was previously accepted (and well received) on RP.
And just exactly why was the "poop" shot accepted?

Thanks for your thoughts and critique.

/Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monet Jaws Train RP.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	5787  
Old 09-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #20
Diamond D

Quote:
Thanks Nick - to keep it balanced, I need what's on the left and I like the top as it gives the wires something to hang from in the frame.

/Mitch
I'll play devil's advocate here, no you don't need anything for the wires to hang from, we all know wires don't dangle from the sky so our brain takes care of knowing there's something up there meanwhile we can focus where you want us to down on the tracks. Maybe it's just a personal thing but I don't like bars or poles straddling the edge of a photo like that. It looks odd and unpleasant, like half of a sentence... cut it off or put more space above it to make it readable. And cutting off some more of the left hand side gets rid of some very distracting highlights and moves everything more off-center, adding more room for the runner to run and a bit more mystery... where is he coming from? Just my personal observations.

As far as the merits of this shot... seeing a trespasser on the NEC is (for me) not an everyday occurrence. The fact that he's running adds more to the shot than the typical "guy standing on the tracks when a 10mph train is 100 yards away" telemash, and the way his face is blurred out like on a police video is intriguing. No it's not a masterpiece, but unusual and interesting, and that ain't a half-bad combo.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #21
DelmonteX

Mitch:

I like the general feel of the image, but I do agree with other's that it needed a focal point. Oooh, how about a dog running across the tracks, sans heat distoration?

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:23 AM   #22
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
...Maybe it's just a personal thing but I don't like bars or poles straddling the edge of a photo like that. It looks odd and unpleasant, like half of a sentence...
Funny, I was thinking wires dangling in mid-air was like a half a sentence. : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
No it's not a masterpiece, but unusual and interesting, and that ain't a half-bad combo.
My thoughts as well - thanks Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmonteX View Post
Mitch: Oooh, how about a dog running across the tracks, sans heat distoration?
That would be great but first, I don't have a dog. Second, I don't have a Schmollinger filter on my camera - it's all or nothing on the heat distortion for me.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 09-21-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 AM   #23
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Mitch you are in dire danger of becoming an artist
I grew up in a family of artists, and this shot is much closer to what I saw around the house when I was a kid than a simple photograph. The heat distortion effect gives this the feel of an oil painting; that the resulting image is "through the lens" is really neat! Unfortunately, it appears to not be RP material -- too much art, not enough of what one normally considers a "photograph" to be. Regardless, I'm glad that you continue to push the boundaries; I enjoy seeing others' creative efforts and being inspired to try different things in my own photography.

Quote:
And just exactly why was the "poop" shot accepted?
*cracks knuckles* It's all in the caption creation. (And it wasn't "poop," it was "droppings.")
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #24
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
I grew up in a family of artists, and this shot is much closer to what I saw around the house when I was a kid than a simple photograph. The heat distortion effect gives this the feel of an oil painting; that the resulting image is "through the lens" is really neat!
Thanks Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
*cracks knuckles* It's all in the caption creation. (And it wasn't "poop," it was "droppings.")
I was rather impressed with my caption...

/Mitch
Old 09-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #25
Joe the Photog

Quote:
The bad news is this semi-abstract, non-Photoshopped image with a positive message was rejected. The good news is I am submitting images on the edge and trying to expand our horizons (my own, as well as RP).
On the edge? Really? It's hard for me to see how anyone could have thought this was an RP-worthy shot as is. You have images in your collection here that I would die for Mitch, but this one is a bad representation of your work. I know that someties it's hard for phtogs to judge their own work, but this one seems pretty cut and dry to me. Way too much heat distortion. Chris and Chris nailed this one.