Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
conductor79

Default Railfan/trucker would liketo make railfan connections around the country.

Hi, my name is Glenn and am an avid railfan, I also drive big rigs around the country for a living. I have at the moment 10 pics on RP.net. (and all the rest on rrpicturearchives.net)

Currently I am on an uphill battle to find spots big enough to park my 18 wheeler, and be within walking distance of the railroad tracks. Hence, I wish to make friends, perhaps life long friends with alot of you, who would be willing enough to take me along for the ride to the nearest railfan hotspot (pick me up from the nearest truckstop that is).

I can do what is called "Highlight" for a certain part of the country for time off, so whoever is doing some railfanning on a certain weekend or something can meet up near where you live or where your going to be railfanning at and be able to get pics.

Basically I am tired of being the only one I know that is into trains, and don't have anyone to talk to face to face about trains. Any thoughts, comments, and rude gestures are welcome.
conductor79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:18 AM   #2
conductor79

Geeezzz, 61 views now and all of you are scared or don't give a damn.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by conductor79
Hence, I wish to make friends, perhaps life long friends with alot of you, who would be willing enough to take me along for the ride to the nearest railfan hotspot (pick me up from the nearest truckstop that is).
The issue is, you are asking for a lot and out of the blue. I have a lot of sympathy, for several reasons. First, I spend a number of years in the industry - not a driver, a logistics engineer in the GO - and I know something (second hand, of course) about how hard truck driving is and how lonely at times. Second, I myself tend to railfan alone most of the time - well, actually, with my son now. Most of the people I "know" in this hobby I have never met; they are just there on the internet. But, with all due sympathy, nonetheless what you are really doing is asking for a friendship and all that comes with it, out of nowhere, with no advance work to get to know people or for them to get to know you, and that just doesn't work, I think.

I am probably guessing, but I suggest you find a railfan forum, perhaps something on trainorders.com or trains.com, something with national coverage, and put some time into participating in it and getting to know people. Then, as you get to know people better, you will have a relationship and can start asking for company and for favors.

It's hard to be in your position. Good luck. Hope this was helpful.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:54 AM   #4
conductor79

Thanks for your post JRMDC, I did seem kind of blunt about it didn't I, and this is the first time I've ever posted a thread anywhere.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:15 AM   #5
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

How do I know your not a killer, LOL just kidding. I don't really do alot of railfanning out on the mainline most of the stuff I do is at tourist rr's or special events.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:29 AM   #6
conductor79

That's cool Walter S., it takes one to know one right. Around where I live (the panhandle of Florida) there is only CSX running through my town, and now that I am getting that RP mentallity I need to do some railfanning back at the house. I have gone to the TVRR a long time ago but I was too young to be able to afford a camera worth a darn to get some shots.

I have thought about highlighting for a place near a tourist rr and spend a day or two doing that.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:44 AM   #7
Ween

I've been stalked by a railfan once so I'd be a little leary of picking up a random person at a truckstop to go railfanning. Sorry, but safety first...
Old 08-31-2007, 05:05 AM   #8
conductor79

That's where building the trust thing comes into play, like what we're doing now, talking to each other, If it becomes too much of a headache though we might as well close this thread, because after seeing 61 views and no comments, I started thinking my creating this thread was a mistake.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:08 AM   #9
conductor79

BTW Ween, ND is the only state in the lower 48 that I have not been to, I've been trying to get my dispatcher to get me a load to or through that way.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:21 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by conductor79
BTW Ween, ND is the only state in the lower 48 that I have not been to, I've been trying to get my dispatcher to get me a load to or through that way.
OK, while you may not be a killer, now we know that you are insane!

Just kidding, Chris!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, Glenn, have you thought of or dabbled or done a lot of photography in truck stops? Seems like that would be very interesting. After a few years you could have quite the collection of shots from across the land.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:16 AM   #11
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I've been stalked by a railfan once so I'd be a little leary of picking up a random person at a truckstop to go railfanning. Sorry, but safety first...
Crap! Where did you see me?

I actually was in your area last week...
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #12
conductor79

Quote:
BTW, Glenn, have you thought of or dabbled or done a lot of photography in truck stops? Seems like that would be very interesting. After a few years you could have quite the collection of shots from across the land.
I have taken a pic or two of custom big trucks that were parked or getting fuel at a truck stop and the occasional idiot that has backed his truck into someone else' truck, also hyrail trucks too. but other than that, to me there is no real subject matter at a truck stop. I also took pics of a step deck flatbed truck that was hauling a 38,000lb prime mover in San Antonio (I have those pics on rrpicturearchives.net).

Every once in a while I see step deck trucks hauling two radiator housings for GE locos going down the highway, I also have pics of an oversize truck hauling a new body shell of a tank car parked at a truck stop in Ft. Worth, the shell was only a half inch thick.

A lot of truck stops are nothing but s@#$holes anyway.

Last edited by conductor79; 08-31-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:11 AM   #13
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Crap! Where did you see me?

I actually was in your area last week...
Ha ha ha ha!! Aside from me, did you see anything else interesting while you were here?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:19 AM   #14
conductor79

Sounds to me like someone was looking for a place to park his locomotive.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:33 AM   #15
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha!! Aside from me, did you see anything else interesting while you were here?
I found a few good shots, but the lack of trains and ultimately the lack of sun drove me out of the area. I managed to see a train with three SD40-2s and a rainbow at the same time, but unfortunately the sun was on the wrong side. I'm sure I'll return at some point when the sun is shinning.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:39 AM   #16
Ween

Wait...you weren't the guy on the I-29 overpass the other week were you?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #17
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Wait...you weren't the guy on the I-29 overpass the other week were you?
Nope. Don't think I was ever on I-29.