Old 10-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Ed Mullan

Default A rejection objection.

This photo was rejected, appealed, and again rejected.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1272043211
I do, however, like it very much. And felt it should have been included in the database. I like the loco in the right frame of the photo, the color, the red house on the left, the line of the shadow of the tree on the right which follows the line of the shadow of the loco and it's smoke plume on the left. Even the line of brush in the lower line of the photo.
In fact, this is one of my favorite WMSR photos.
The WMSR is hard to shoot on it's regular runs, on a sunny day.
Ah well, such is life. Maybe the next two Saturdays, on which there will be a run at 5pm, the light will be better. It will be like a fishing rodeo, though, shoulder to shouder photogs and fans!
And, I suppose, if we all had the photos we thought should be included, the base would be up to about a million photos now.

Ed
Ed Mullan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
JRMDC

For me it is an OK shot. I can't get past the large mass of formless vegetation center-left. The house doesn't save it, for me. And much of the trailing cars are hidden. So the left side of the shot doesn't add much. Thus, the shot becomes a standard wedgie of a steam engine with the nose dark and that gets kicked on RP.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

It looks like you need:
- Rotation counter clockwise to level
- Portrait crop
- More contrast
- More unsharp mask

I'm still not sure it's enough to save it, but it's a million times more interesting to look at when those suggestions are applied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rp-suggest.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	3424  
Old 10-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
a231pacific

Ed,

Too bad it was a warm day. When you get really good smoke and steam, backlighting is the way to go, but on a warm day, the backlighting doesn't do as much for the shot. You might try darkening it a bit. On the whole, I liked the shot, but too bad they have put a parking area in for the bike path. It really takes away from the location. I see that the trees and brush have really grown up a lot in the last few years as well. Here's a shot from seven years ago, taken at the same location, but on a much colder day!

Image © Michael F. Allen
PhotoID: 145623
Photograph © Michael F. Allen

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Ed Mullan

I agree on the brush. A wet spring/early summer here made it grow like crazy.
I think WMSR and the county, who own the right of way, are going to have to get together and do a big trim job on the trees.
An older feller, upon embarking from the train this year, said "My goodness, it's just like riding through a green tunnel!"
If you have the latest issue of "Classic Trains", there are some photos of Helmstetter's back in the days of steam..nary a tree or brush to be seen.

Ed
Old 10-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Ed Mullan

I think my problem here is that...I shoot too much at this site. I only see certain aspects, that is the train and miss the fact that I've grown used to seeing all that brush, so I didn't see it in this shot.
I posted the photo on a railroading forum, the guys liked it, but did not like the parking lot in the photo! Heck, I've gotten used to that too!

I think this photo rightly should not have been included in the database, and I hope to see the WMSR, which I live 20 minutes from, with "fresh" eyes.

Thanks all,

Ed

Last edited by Ed Mullan; 10-17-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: correct misspelled word
Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

It was rejected for poor lighting, not anything else that was mentioned including shooting this location too much. The lighting is poor in RP-standards. It *might* work as a backlit B&W, but it might not too. It's a nice shot, though not extraordinary. Nothing wrong with that.

Joe
Old 10-18-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
Mgoldman

Helmstetter's Parking Lot??!?!? Ugh! Where's the smiley that barfs?

Otherwise, Ed, it's a descent stot. I think the screener's on RP throw around terms at time that may not be an exact fit, or fit but not in an obvious way.

The first thing that hits me when I view the photo is it's lack of contrast or as was mentioned also, it's a bit bright and would benefit greatly from a bit of selective darkening. There is not much of the photo, if any that actually is black. It looks a bit washed out. I think that can be fixed somewhat easily.

Looking forward to another round of pics from WMSR.

What is the deal with the 5 PM runs? I assume they are in addition to the AM run and both will be steam? When does that start and how long before they are back to one run or to the season's end?

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:19 AM   #9
Ed Mullan

This Saturday and next Saturday, there are 5PM runs, after the regular 11:30 runs. Oh, and they are both steam runs. Tommorow the weather is supposed to be partly sunny.
On regular runs, the sun is on the wrong side of the railroad for good sunny photos except at a few locations. The 5PM runs should yield some very good photos, the chances of the sun being in the correct position increase quite a bit.

Ed

Last edited by Ed Mullan; 10-18-2008 at 02:21 AM. Reason: add text
Old 10-23-2008, 04:44 AM   #10
a231pacific

Darken in curves and add some sharpening.

Michael Allen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mp171.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	3447  
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote