Old 02-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #26
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Talking

Just remember, the screeners uploads are screened also! That means that there is absolutely no gaurantee for ANYBODY to get a picture accepted. Even Chris and Chris have to have their uploads screened for acceptance. But, just because the particular screener nit-picks your upload does not mean that you are a bad photographer. Not my .02 cents, just the facts!
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #27
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Hmm, very odd approach to the forum. Shane, what is up? I am confused.
I'm with J, Shane... seeing your great collection, I'm utterly confused about why are upset.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #28
woody_k
still learnin'

To answer the O.P.'s question on why...

Well for one the site boasts "The best..." so if I happen to get one in well it's one of the best.

Having uploaded and get rejections have made me a better photographer to a point. I.E. my technique has got better. But my post processing has grown by leaps and bounds so then that directly relates to the quality of photos I now upload. All around I have become better due to the higher standards.

FYI I look back just one year at the photos that were rejected and I say to myself..I thought that was good!!??!!.

And I am going to be honest...I hope someday that a calendar company wants one of my photos. Having that happen I'd be proud to show my Grandsons and say "Look what Papa has done." My 22+ plus years in Law Enforcement wont make them bat an eye until they get my age.

To the O.P. as a newbie myself I feel your pain about rejections. They are part of a learning curve. You have to look at them that way or this isn't the place for you. I learned and so can anyone else. Cops= Type A personality + rejections...all that don't mix well. LOL!!

I can't believe I saw a Freericks rejections!! I didn't think such things existed.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Another site where I only upload what I think is the better images Flickr
woody_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #29
WisconsinCentral

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
The composition is poor to me. It is a roster shot with powerlines, trees, boring building and a dirt foreground. Nothing you could do about it but I don't think it is rp material. Rare, no. http://www.railpictures.net/showphot...mber=WC%206005 3 pages of that one engine.

What's this?
Image © Shane G Deemer
PhotoID: 258840
Photograph © Shane G Deemer

Lets see your latest rejections!
Travis, coming from someone who enjoys your shots, I have to say that your response was a bit ironic. I recall a few roster shots (GASP! I thought engines were a pretty large focus of railroad photography?) of yours here. The WC SD45 at CF yard, and while I like the shot, it was nothing "special" either. I love the photography aspect of railpics just as much as the next, but why are wedgies and roster shots (Of cool power, I might add) looked down upon around here? A nice shot of three SD40-2's or what have you is nice to look at, now if it was a boring wedgie of three GEVO's or something than I understand that its "poorly composed".

Alec (who actually likes roster shots!)
Old 02-08-2009, 04:19 AM   #30
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral
Travis, coming from someone who enjoys your shots, I have to say that your response was a bit ironic. I recall a few roster shots (GASP! I thought engines were a pretty large focus of railroad photography?) of yours here. The WC SD45 at CF yard, and while I like the shot, it was nothing "special" either. I love the photography aspect of railpics just as much as the next, but why are wedgies and roster shots (Of cool power, I might add) looked down upon around here? A nice shot of three SD40-2's or what have you is nice to look at, now if it was a boring wedgie of three GEVO's or something than I understand that its "poorly composed".

Alec (who actually likes roster shots!)
It is not that I don't like roster shots, I just don't like the junk surrounding that one.
Here is a roster shot of that unit that doesn't have the background garbage.

Image © Douglas H
PhotoID: 31992
Photograph © Douglas H

Last edited by travsirocz; 02-08-2009 at 04:23 AM.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #31
Ed Mullan

What Woody said! That's exactly why I post here. Besides that, what in he heck else am I gonna do with all the railphotos I've made?
Ya might get nine rejections..but don't you really feel good when one gets accepted? After all, the database here has the best railphotos anywhere..and they keep getting better, IMO.

Ed
Ed Mullan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #32
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

What's the point of dumping time, effort, and money into work if you're the only one who'll enjoy the results?
Old 02-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #33
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
What's the point of dumping time, effort, and money into work if you're the only one who'll enjoy the results?
Which is why I hate working out!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #34
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Which is why I hate working out!
Wait, aren't you married?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #35
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

I post to RP.net for a few reasons. As others have said, the views are always nice, and the fact that railroads and magazines use RP.net for their favorite shots.

Also, I think that RP.net has improved my photography skills. Prior to uploading to RP, I just snapped a photo or two, and didn't pay any attention to lighting, color, composition, etc. I can look back at some of my shots from 2006, and then look at my most recent shots, and I can tell several improvements. I don't shoot for just RP.net, but I do try to take photos that are well composed, etc. as I know they'll be decent photos regardless if they make it into the database. Will they always be what RP is looking for? I doubt it, but the majority of them are decent shots to me atleast. I think RP.net has improved photography skills for several. It gives us an idea of what to look for when taking a photo, etc.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 AM   #36
AppyFan

I like to post on RP because it gives me a chance to share some of my photos from the region in which I live. Yes, it also is a learning experience for me and it definately pays off. I have learned more about editing than anything. I also enjoy posting RP because it shows how many people out there in cyberspace does enjoy my work.

In a nutshell I just like to share my work with others. The way I see it is why take photos and keep them to yourself. They need to be shared.
AppyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #37
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I post to RailPictures because of the worldwide exposure and I enjoy the challenge of constantly improving my photography.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #38
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Oh I don't know why but i like the help I can give to newbies on the forms best. I gave Craig Williams his start, showed him what works and what doesn't. Now he is much better at it than me most times, but still Ace him at times

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #39
lock4244

I post because nobody in my immediate peer group is interested in trains, and we all know the need to show someone that gem of a shot. It's nice to show someone that is interested in the same hobby what I've been up to.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #40
MTM9

I haven't been able to yet and seriously doubt I will anytime soon. The reason I try is because I don't very much anymore, I just go to the forums to see what's going on.
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote