Old 10-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
MTM9

Default No more ICE or DME

As of today there is now two less railroads, IC&E and DM&E. They are now officially part of CP.
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 AM   #2
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM9
As of today there is now two less railroads, IC&E and DM&E. They are now officially part of CP.
They're still companies, just operating as wholly owned subsidiaries. In other words, they've suffered the fate of the Soo Line, D&H, IC, GTW, DMIR, and numerous others purchased recently...

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
MTM9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
They're still companies, just operating as wholly owned subsidiaries. In other words, they've suffered the fate of the Soo Line, D&H, IC, GTW, DMIR, and numerous others purchased recently...
That is true, but considering how old the ICE and DME fleet is, I'm not sure how long any of their engines will be around.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM9
That is true, but considering how old the ICE and DME fleet is, I'm not sure how long any of their engines will be around.
I think you need to check your facts. The entire ICE fleet was rebuilt just after the ICE was formed so the condition of those units is very good.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 AM   #5
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I think you need to check your facts. The entire ICE fleet was rebuilt just after the ICE was formed so the condition of those units is very good.
Think they will re-paint or leave them as is?
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:12 AM   #6
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung
Think they will re-paint or leave them as is?
Considering that there are still GPs in Milwaukee Road paint, I'm pretty sure they will leave them as is. The CP has not patched a single SOO unit that I can think of.

Personally, I'm glad the CP bought the DME/ICE. I'm looking forward to going to the corn lines and seeing red units and even more importantly, no other railfans! The CP has some interesting EMD products up in Canada so hopefully some it gets sent down there.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
If that's true, then it sounds like they picked a pretty crappy rebuilder.

A very rough quote from the engineer of a westbound ICE freight last week to the dispatcher:
"Well, one of the engines won't load, another kicks a relay if we push her too high, the CP engine works fine but doesn't have any heat, and we don't know what wrong with the last one. So we got about one and half engines right now."

Regardless of the fate of the ICE/DME and their engines, I'm glad I got to spend about half a day fanning the IC&E last Saturday. It was one of the most memorable days out railfanning.

Shameless Plugs from the day:
Image © Mike Wnek
PhotoID: 257355
Photograph © Mike Wnek

Image © Mike Wnek
PhotoID: 257358
Photograph © Mike Wnek

Image © Mike Wnek
PhotoID: 257326
Photograph © Mike Wnek

And with any luck, a few more over the coming weeks.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
If that's true, then it sounds like they picked a pretty crappy rebuilder.

A very rough quote from the engineer of a westbound ICE freight last week to the dispatcher:
"Well, one of the engines won't load, another kicks a relay if we push her too high, the CP engine works fine but doesn't have any heat, and we don't know what wrong with the last one. So we got about one and half engines right now."
Nothing works 100% of the time. Even a lot of the newer GEs have a lot of problems. They didn't earn the nickname 'toasters' for no reason...
Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
lock4244

The running joke here is that CP bought the DME/ICE to get it's SD40-2's back!

If it was CN doing the buying, they'd have already retired the DME/ICE fleet. They're junking all the DMIR SD40-3's and parked the GCFX/Connell Leasing SD40-3's. But CP is the buyer.

On the weekend I saw 20 CP SD40-2's parked in Toronto Yard, all stored (along with 3 SW's, likely slugs), so though new power and a bad economy has taken a toll of CP's SD40-2 fleet, odds are they'll keep the DME/ICE units around for a while (hopefully long enough that I can get a few blue and yellow units up here in Toronto), at least until they come up with long term power plans. My guess is the remaining SOO SD60's will eventually be assigned to the DME/ICE, if they keep them around that is, since it's a nice out of the way place to concentrate them (and CP SD40-2's).

If the DME/ICE can handle them, my long term guess is CP will relegate some of the 8500/8600 class AC4400's to service there, replacing them with more GEVO's on CP/SOO proper.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 11-05-2008 at 08:50 PM.
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
lock4244

Quote:
Considering that there are still GPs in Milwaukee Road paint, I'm pretty sure they will leave them as is. The CP has not patched a single SOO unit that I can think of.
CP is very frugal, and there is a cost associated with patching since they'd have to change the ownership or the lease documments or something... whatever it is, a lawyer will send a bill and CP doesn't see any operational benefit. SOO or CP reporting marks, it'll have the same tonnage rating, plus being a Canadian company, CP likes equipment registered to US subsidiaries with their low tax rates. If they'd patched the SOO SD60's, they'd also have to renumber them as they conflict with CP SD40-2's. The SOO 6600's are a special case. They are all CP units now, and there is a reason behind their purchase that escapes me right now.

Quote:
Personally, I'm glad the CP bought the DME/ICE. I'm looking forward to going to the corn lines and seeing red units and even more importantly, no other railfans! The CP has some interesting EMD products up in Canada so hopefully some it gets sent down there.
We do? You must be refering to the SD40-2F's. Not sure what else they have that qualifies as interesting.

More Pics Here
Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
J

Canadian power is subject to different regulations (and labor agreements) so it is not too likely any DME units will be leaders into Canada. Canada requires "safety reset" devices (alerters) and the brotherhoods require hot plates and tea kettles.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
lock4244

The don't have to lead, just make it up here and past my lens.

Tea kettles... classic

I think they require hotplates and microwaves, RSC, and they must be able to work with a two way SBU (EOT/FRED in Canuk). Canadian rules require two way communication with the SBU so they can send a signal to dump the air from the SBU end.

More Pics Here
Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #13
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
If it was CN doing the buying, they'd have already retired the DME/ICE fleet. They're junking all the DMIR SD40-3's and parked the GCFX/Connell Leasing SD40-3's. But CP is the buyer.
The CN isn't getting rid of the DMIR units just for fun. They are in serious need of extensive mechanical work so I can't blame them for getting rid of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
We do? You must be refering to the SD40-2F's. Not sure what else they have that qualifies as interesting.
I was referring to the 5400s. It's not much, but they are the only CP engines that interest me.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #14
lock4244

The DMIR 400 series SD40-3's are in need of serious mechanical work? When were they rebuilt... they're that old? CN has alot of units that fall into that category, including the IC units sent north to replace them (according to some crews at least). CN's 5400 are all now officially retired, thought at least six were pulled from Woodcrest and sent to UP to repay HP hours.

Of CP's 5400's, all that remain are 5490-5499 series units (possibly a few lower numbered 5400's) and those are yard switchers now, used in heavy service like switching grain at Thunder Bay. Their days on the road are pretty much over... like most of the fmr SOO 6600's, now hump locomotives that can be pressed into road service if needed.

More Pics Here
Old 12-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

The ICE will get merged in to the DME 1/1/09 The name DME will be on paper for a long time, Don't know about the power.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
DME 6361

Default not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM9 View Post
DM&E is still a railroad that gained the ICE and cedar american stocks and is its own subsidary under wholly owned soo line under the CP. Which means class 2 regional wages and fra restrictions and inspections. If you would ask CP management they will not say the DME is the CP cause they will be saving 100's of millions of dollars keeping it the DME. They will add a little red paint here and there and that is it!

Sincerely H.NW. Gekeler #1 conductor Sept. 5 1986
DME 6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #17
DME 6361

Default I wish you knew

Quote:
If you would know or look into anything before you say it you might look smart! Dme/MILW sd40-2 were '72-74 built. They were some of the newer ever built considering class 1's are running 1964-1968 sd38,40's rebuilt into sd40-2's even the cn has a couple of them left running still. the ICE sd40-2 are all new rebuilt at start up using all furx leased power with mrl to help out while they were rebuilding their new 40-2 fleet. Now i work for the UP and we have 100's more problems with are new ac's cause of all of the computer mainframes. Personally I wished I still worked on the DME so I could have the chance to limp into town with 2 sd40-s and ond dead due to ground relay with 98 loads and 13,000 ton going down winona hill 1.7 % grade into winona. i hope you also realize that DMe started with 39 sd9's and 10's. What is a sd10---do you know? Is there such thing? try doing 54 mph down winona hill -17 degrees and the hill is only 10mph. In emergency for 8 miles and stopping at the absolute at mc for the amtrak! lucky and nobody even knew about that!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DME 6361 View Post
If you would know or look into anything before you say it you might look smart! Dme/MILW sd40-2 were '72-74 built. They were some of the newer ever built considering class 1's are running 1964-1968 sd38,40's rebuilt into sd40-2's even the cn has a couple of them left running still. the ICE sd40-2 are all new rebuilt at start up using all furx leased power with mrl to help out while they were rebuilding their new 40-2 fleet. Now i work for the UP and we have 100's more problems with are new ac's cause of all of the computer mainframes. Personally I wished I still worked on the DME so I could have the chance to limp into town with 2 sd40-s and ond dead due to ground relay with 98 loads and 13,000 ton going down winona hill 1.7 % grade into winona. i hope you also realize that DMe started with 39 sd9's and 10's. What is a sd10---do you know? Is there such thing? try doing 54 mph down winona hill -17 degrees and the hill is only 10mph. In emergency for 8 miles and stopping at the absolute at mc for the amtrak! lucky and nobody even knew about that!
Yeah, some just post on speculation around here.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #19
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

Nothing has really changed at all since the takeover. CP has flipped around with train schedules and small stuff. They've sent a few more CP SD40-2s out of St. Paul but most are junk and all they get are complaints. They're applying DME decals to the long hoods of all the former CP SD40s still wearing CP's red paint. Maybe to avoid confusion when running on CP rails i dont know. ICE/DME power has been showing up on CP from what im told.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:42 AM   #20
DME 6361

The huron-chicago manifest is now rerouted through minnesota city on the river sub and crew changing with cp crews instead of running owatonna to nora springs and then over to the windy city. they keep the DME power on it and turn it at chicago. That is why you are seeing more of the DME engines. If you really look into the locomotives you will realize that 1/4 of DME's fleet is on home rails when they run into chicago account of they are ex-milw units. So actually people are thinking of big changes seeing DME power on cp rails but in reality they were there way before the CP!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #21
MTM9

Quote:
If you ever go to the DME Nahant Yard in Davenport, IA you would see the major repair line normally has between 10-20 units in it. Then when you add in the 8 to 10 engines getting worked on in the round house and compare that to the number of engines that DME/ICE has on its roster you would get my point.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #22
MTM9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Yeah, some just post on speculation around here.
If you ever talk to any of the workers for ICE/DME in the Quad Citites area they would tell you that their power is getting old with lots of problems. So, maybe its you using speculation posts, not me.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #23
DME 6361

Default And you are comparing that to what?

Quote:
If you ever go to the DME Nahant Yard in Davenport, IA you would see the major repair line normally has between 10-20 units in it. Then when you add in the 8 to 10 engines getting worked on in the round house and compare that to the number of engines that DME/ICE has on its roster you would get my point.
The u.p has 100's a day in the shop at north platte and Hinkle. You said DME has 8-10 bad order-- to me that sounds about the average for running a railroad! You also have to put in perspective 15 day, 30, 92, 365, and 1104 day inspections on locomotives! To me that sounds pretty low on failures and a lot on inspections, economy, and when you talk to the crews you have to realize every crew dislikes their power and it is never good enough. Are you saying DM&E should be running new 2.5 million GEVO"S? And for what reason would that make any sense to get rid of a 3000 h.p. engine when 20 years ago they were called the ALCO line with only 1000 to 1800 h.p. motor's.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #24
DME 6361

Default Are you kidding me?

Quote:
If you ever talk to any of the workers for ICE/DME in the Quad Citites area they would tell you that their power is getting old with lots of problems. So, maybe its you using speculation posts, not me.
I have been on every DME locomotive has since sept. 5 1986. Where were you? I knew what 3 engine consist could pull Wall hill or not. Even if our work message would say no power swap we would still do it just to keep the engines we need out in the Black hills. If you didn't know a consist you better only have 58 loads before Wall Hill. When you knew the power and memorized every engine like I have you would know if your consist could max out at 63 loads a night and what ones can sit on wall hill and redline the best for a half hour at 3/10 's of a mile per hour! Flatliners get the rest of the Average power sent back east to them where they belong. Now What!
Old 07-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #25
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
I have been on every DME locomotive has since sept. 5 1986. Where were you?
LOL! I love it!
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote