Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default How should a gallery look?

I am redoing my website's gallery structure. The categories use to be

Trains and Railroads
Trains at Night
Trains and Storms
Trains and Clouds
Trains Black and White

but so many images were redundantly placed in many galleries.

What would all of you do? Right now it is just Trains and Railroad, but now approaching 1000 images it is a lot to look through. I do have a search function so should I keep one gallery and keep keywording? What galleries would you do? I have always hated

BNSF
UP
CP
NS
CSX

Give me ideas like Western, Wisconsin, MOW, People, or whatever.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
lerro984

For my railroad page, I broke it into sub galleries with a mix of railroad names as well as nighttime, black and white, photo charters.....

http://www.lerroproductions.com/railroads.html
lerro984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
I am redoing my website's gallery structure. The categories use to be

Trains and Railroads
Trains at Night
Trains and Storms
Trains and Clouds
Trains Black and White

but so many images were redundantly placed in many galleries.

Give me ideas like Western, Wisconsin, MOW, People, or whatever.
Well, the answer is by considering a combination of what you feel is important, what you feel best conveys what your work is about (so maybe the above categories) and what you perceive your viewership/clientele wants to see (hence your post). You are an artistic photographer so you are going to appear primarily to people who don't care as much about BNSF/UP or Wyoming/Minnesota, I think. Or rather, those sorts of people are your secondary group. I would in the first instance stick to some version that resembles the old categories.

As for the redundancy, to use the well-worn expression, that is a feature, not a bug! You have shots that are multi-faceted. They belong in multiple categories. People will find them coming from multiple directions. If you want those people to find them, you have to adapt to their ways, which as far as I can tell means redundancy. More work for you, more storage for you, more access to your viewership. Your choice. Maybe there are website providers who are able to set up a central image repository and then create web pages based on tags, so you can have one copy of an image appear in multiple locations. That would be best.

Aside from that, if categories is what you need:

Scenics (realy, I mean landscape, in some sense) emphasizing clouds
Scenics emphasizing storms
Scenics emphasizing more urbanized areas
Non-scenic - crossings
Non-scenic - yards
Non-scenic - stations
Non-scenic - in town
Non-scenic - rural
Non-scenic - RR operations
People

Just some random thoughts, ask me another day and I will come up with different categories.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
Diamond D

Travis, I've been through your website, and the amount of awesome shots is really amazing. Still, maybe it's just me, but when I am in a gallery and I see "76 pages" at the top, I think "yeah right" and look at a few, then move on. I guess it's today's lack of attention span... but if you had a "Best Of" gallery, that you hand select (and rotate if you like) with maybe like 3 pages of what you consider to be YOUR vision/portfolio whatever, I would be much more likely to explore that whole gallery and come away wanting more. Then, if I am so inclined, or if I arrive at your page via a search engine, I could go explore your more populated galleries, organized first by RR, then by region if necessary, again that's strictly my opinion, and I have no background in web design, etc.

Ideally, there would be a keyword system where I can search for or click on "storm" and see all your storm light images, or "lightning" etc, with virtual copies, rather than having actual duplicates across many different galleries, but I know that Smugmug's virtual copy tool was quite unpleasant to use when they first rolled it out and I quickly stopped using it.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
troy12n
Banned

Trains with girls
Trains with poop
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Thanks. You gave me some good ideas. I think I will set my work up into portfolio named galleries with a full and best of gallery also. My portfolio type galleries would be like Storm Light, Men at Work, The Crew, Through the Night, Lines of the Landscape, something along those lines.

I agree with J that I treat my RR photography more as art then documentation or technical. I also agree that it is over whelming to see 1000 photos and my drive to click through then dies instantly. Trains with girls probably won't be an option but trains with poop will not be one for sure. I will leave that to Mr. Honan.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote