Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
nikos1

Default The assimilation has begun (G&W repaints)

This unfortunate former OHCR tunnel motor appears to be the first unit painted for one of the former RA properties.
Picture by James Trivett

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1

Last edited by ShortlinesUSA; 02-05-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Title clarification
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
JimThias

For those of us who have no clue (probably just me), can you explain why it's unfortunate? There is much about railroad history that I'm unaware of.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

I've always liked shortlines because of the differenty paint schemes and types of engines. Now GWI, typically all eMD and all orange and yellow, is going to come along and change a good deal of that.

Although the Georgia Central is a welcome exception. So far.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
nikos1

Yes, as Joe said the unfortunate is loss of variety. Class 1's have become unbearably boring and shortlines just got a whole lot more boring with the G&W-RA merger. Now on the mainlines you see nothing but CSX or NS from Jacksonville to New York, soon it will be nothing but G&W on the shortlines.
GC is the exception because probably none of the U23B's will ever see this paint before being sent to the scrapper on some sad day....

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
For those of us who have no clue (probably just me), can you explain why it's unfortunate?
In foamer's terms...that orange paint scheme sucks.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
ShortlinesUSA

There also seem to be mobile paint crews visiting some properties, in addition to the big shops turning out repaints. A friend witnessed Chesapeake & Albemarle GP7U 2190 being painted in Elizabeth City, NC on February 3rd. He also reported it was being renumbered as 1702. I cannot firmly state this is final/confirmed info, so roster keepers may want to tentatively enter a note on that.

More interestingly, it seems the paint crew will leave after only painting the 2190. Ex FEC GP38-2 502 apparently will not be painted. These two units make up the active roster. GP38Ms CA 3841 and 3842 were sold to Bro-Tex Metals during the big selloff by RailAmerica, but are still in Elizabeth City. 3841 suffered wreck damage after striking an open drawbridge in Chesapeake, VA in 2008 and 3842 has unknown (to me) mechanical failures that caused it to be retired.

CA GP7U 2158 is out of service with a cracked block, future unknown. As power short as the combined G&W system is, it could be a candidate for rebuild at one of the system shops.

The mobile paint crew should be at the North Carolina & Virginia as of 2/5/13 where they were to paint 3 units.

Almost sounds like G&W is attempting to get a percentage of units painted from the start, rather than complete roster repaintings, as they could have done with just a few more days at the C&A.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
nikos1

Of course, they always paint the home road units rather than the ragged looking patch jobs. Just like how they came in and painted the CAGY's 25th anniversary unit as soon as they bought them, that was just wrong.....

Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 AM   #8
ShortlinesUSA

Any RA scheme locos are the primary targets for repaints. G&W apparently wants that image in any form, be it present or past, GONE. They have even repainted one of the CIND GP50s, which was repainted into to the final RA red, white, and blue scheme only a few years ago.

I could rattle off about 100 units to paint before that one, but it shows you the mindset.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
JimThias

Ok, I get it now. The blue and white loco in this pic is about to head to the paint booth.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 194115
Photograph © Jim Thias
Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
ShortlinesUSA

I have now seen photo proof, and the number I was initially given was incorrect. CA 2190 is now CA 1720, and the paint job is complete.

Edit: Didn't realize Casey had already posted the photo. Here it is for all to see:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=423972&nseq=7

Last edited by ShortlinesUSA; 02-06-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
JimThias

MMRR 2019 in the new paint scheme is en route to Michigan right now. This was first spotted on January 29.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
ShortlinesUSA

That one is ex Genesee & Wyoming 51, and was painted at Brookville, PA. It previously wore badly faded GWI orange.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Joe the Photog

Any news on the South Carolina Central or Carolina Piedmont? The CPDR has two RA-painted units and at least one New England Central that I'm still hoping to shoot.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
ShortlinesUSA

Not that I've heard, Joe. The paint crew is Ahoskie, NC right now on the NCVA. They should wrap up there next week. Where next, who knows? SC Central would certainly be the next RailAmerica property in reach were they to head south.

I wouldn't waste any time. The stated goal I've seen is to have at least one G&W painted unit on all the former RA properties within 3 months, and the RA brand name gone by the end of this year. RA-painted locos of any sort are the top priority to repaint, no matter what the condition of the paint.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

I believe I am getting up to the Carolina Piemont thia weekend to shoot one of their big GE turbine trains. I'm hoping the lone CPDR GP10 still on property and/or the NEC unit will be used.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
ShortlinesUSA

I wasn't aware they were working weekends, Joe. Is that just a special occurrence for one of these turbine moves, or a regular thing?

You know, one thing that came to mind is this: on the NCVA, they are going to paint a GP40/slug combo and two GP38s. That's their standard road set. It makes me wonder if they are wanting to have a full "flashy" road set for a huge customer like NUCOR to see the G&W corporate colors on a daily basis.

That makes me wonder if the SC Central might be another property to see multiple repaints instead of a "one and done" like many other properties seem to be getting just to get a corporate image established on the property.

I guess we'll know soon enough. SC Central is certainly a spot where the roster could use any sort of an image. Of course, it used to back when I first started getting into shortlines. I believe this photo was taken on the second time I ever went out on a dedicated shortline trip:

http://www.shortlinesusa.com/scrf75.jpg

Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #17
nikos1

Funny, they are painting engines like no tomorrow but the RailAmerica website shows so signs of the G&W takeover other than a little note on the sidebar.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
Joe the Photog

Mike;

I don't know if this is a new thing or if it's expected to last. John Jones who is in the Laurens area let us knmow on the Carolina Rails Facebook page that they were doing this tomorrow. He seems to know some folks there and I'm not aware he's ever shared wrong information.

It does seem that in the last few years, the turbines have come down the Columbia, Newberry & Laurens on CSX on Sundays, but I believe in the past, the CPDR took them to CSX on Friday.

John also said that the last ex-Illinois Central GP10 on property was scrapped just this week which means my hopes they would actually use it tomorrow are dashed.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
Joe the Photog

All total, I believe there were ten guys with cameras that chased this train at one point or another, though one or two seemed to be hit and run types, someone from the area who saw it coming and stopped to grab a quick shot.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Carolina Piedmont GE Turbine H&W Train (4)

The sun was dead on the nose of the lead loco for about half the trip though. I missed a great spot shot by Anthony Davis and John D. Jones in Simsponville, but all in all it was a good time.

I won't lose any sleep if the G&W comes down to Laurens and paints these two though.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 02-11-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
JimThias

Here's the first repaint coming to my neighborhood photographed by Robby Gragg in Barr Yard in Illinois.

Mid Michigan bound by Robby.Gragg, on Flickr
Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
JimThias

Another shot I got the a couple of days ago:

A quote from someone who knows someone...

Quote:
Hearing thru the grapevine that the engine may look pretty but the mechanicals are rough and the floor is rotted through.

Last edited by JimThias; 02-18-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
ShortlinesUSA

Sounds like an "Imron rebuild" if that's the case...

Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #23
ShortlinesUSA

Paint crew is done at the NCVA, and left NCVA 3808 and slug 808 (former CORP 4000 and 4166) in orange. They have moved on to the South Carolina properties. Word is, they are to do one unit on each property now, then will come back to finish up the rosters after the first pass. Sounds like things are going to be very orange by year's end.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
Joe the Photog

Thanks, Mike! I'll be interested to see what gets the orange in South Carolina
Old 03-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #25
Joe the Photog

Rolan Watts shared a picture of a G&W paint job on the South Carolina Central on the Carolina Rails Facebook page. He says it's a GP38 and numbered 2032. That's not a number I am familiar with on the SCRF and I didn't think they had any GP38s. (except maybe the ex-FEC units lettered for the CFE).

John Jones also said he heard the New England Central unit on the Carolina Piedmont would get the GWI treatment there.