Old 08-18-2016, 01:37 AM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default 1996 north Idaho washout on the UP

An aerial photo taken of a washout on UP's tracks leading to the CP interchange in Eastport, around a mile away. The washouts were caused by rapid snowmelt. Taken by my dad riding in a Blackhawk helicopter; he was working in the Army at the time. Camera info unknown, but certainly film. Posted with his permission.

The main problem I see with this picture is it might be a bit undersharpened, but I believe that this is scanned from a printed image, so maybe the original might have higher quality if he still has the original scan of the slide on his computer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	N I F001.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	9243
What do you think?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:58 AM   #2
Mberry

The main problem for me is that shot really has very little interesting rail content - it's just a railway line severed in two with a bunch of vehicles around it.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:17 AM   #3
spacetrain1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
The main problem for me is that shot really has very little interesting rail content - it's just a railway line severed in two with a bunch of vehicles around it.
Well, there probably isn't going to be a train when the tracks are washed out. But I see what you mean.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Sure, it needs to be sharper. As for interest, we've been treated to "the door", "the note", and maybe "the tie-date nail". So why not a washout?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Sure, it needs to be sharper. As for interest, we've been treated to "the door", "the note", and maybe "the tie-date nail". So why not a washout?
Usually those kinds of images are either of a very unusual subject, or have some "graphical" interest that goes beyond the subject matter: composition, lighting, texture, color, or perhaps an angle that provides some drama, etc. Washouts are not all that usual, and that is a rather minor one. What is interesting or attractive graphically is highly personal, and usually that kind of image is more "art" than representational. So in terms of the washout image I can only speak for myself, I just don't find it very interesting regardless of the level of sharpness. But that is just me.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
conrail1990

Quote:
Don't forget about the boat!
Image © David Hedlund
PhotoID: 373883
Photograph © David Hedlund
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
spacetrain1983

He also got a picture of their helicopter landed on the tracks, but I'm unsure about if it would actually be an interesting shot, so I'm not posting it for now.

Last edited by spacetrain1983; 08-18-2016 at 03:34 PM.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #8
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail1990 View Post
Don't forget about the boat!
Image © David Hedlund
PhotoID: 373883
Photograph © David Hedlund
I was amazed at the objections to the Viking photo. I admit there are more rail related photos of the boats being loaded etc but it is a nice photo of a classic.
I have photos of the Viking stuck in the row ice off of Frankfort arriving and at dock. To so many of us Midwest fans, the car ferries(GT,PM,AA and of course the Chief Wawatam) were so much a part of our experiences.

I have attached one of mine, some box cars there somewhere so that makes it OK?? Of course with my luck?????? Smile.(The image is too dark, rule of thirds or ....)

Bob Jordan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jordan_Robert_Viking.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	9245  
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I was amazed at the objections to the Viking photo. I admit there are more rail related photos of the boats being loaded etc but it is a nice photo of a classic.
Occasionally I re-post classic public domain photos. This one of the Lehigh Valley Railroad steamer 'Bethlehem' at Buffalo circa 1908 has 5000+ views on Flickr:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LVRR_Bethlehem_1908.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	9248  

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 08-18-2016 at 09:08 PM. Reason: adjustment
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Sure, it needs to be sharper. As for interest, we've been treated to "the door", "the note", and maybe "the tie-date nail".
And now, "the turtle."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
RobJor

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/587410/

Nice but not even railroad rails, boat ramp. Just saying, if we talk about RR content.

Bob
Old 08-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #12
Decapod401

Quote:
Image © Bryant Kaden
PhotoID: 587410
Photograph © Bryant Kaden

Nice but not even railroad rails, boat ramp. Just saying, if we talk about RR content.

Bob
I was somewhat perplexed on this rejection of an abandoned structure that at one time provided hundreds of carloads daily:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...65&key=4848104

I guess it has to float the screener's boat!
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I was somewhat perplexed on this rejection of an abandoned structure that at one time provided hundreds of carloads daily:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...65&key=4848104

I guess it has to float the screener's boat!
I don't see images of industrial structures without rails evident being RP material. Surprised you were perplexed!

Yes, the line is fuzzy - how about a train ferry without visible railcars? - but to me, this goes beyond the fuzz of the line.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #14
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I don't see images of industrial structures without rails evident being RP material. Surprised you were perplexed!

Yes, the line is fuzzy - how about a train ferry without visible railcars? - but to me, this goes beyond the fuzz of the line.
Probably not the fuzzy you are referring to but to be honest I see a lot of splotches in the sky and where the sky meets the tree line is really funky plus the background trees don't add much and also look weird. I like the idea of the trees in the fore ground adding to the forlorn look of the plant. Just wondering about a strong crop, lop off the left out buildings and off the top put the main plant at the top, if the image would hold up.

I like the idea of the old plant and don't consider it out of bounds. Not sure what happened to the processing but I once tried to shortcut the cleanup and blur the sky??????

Bob
Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #15
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Perplexed was a bad choice of words, as I fully expected what I got, but had to try. Agreed the sky has issues that need work. The main line of the Reading (by then RBM&N) is there in front of the breaker, which is part of the main reason for the line's very existence. I am not arguing that it should definitely be in, but it is much more rail-related than Bob's example. By extension, a photo of the Titanic rolling out of the dry dock as it was being launched is valid RP material.

Incidentally, my third-most viewed photo, albeit with more obvious rails, is of an anthracite breaker:

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 562491
Photograph © Doug Lilly

WRT Locust Summit, a friend and I went back and cleared out some of the scrub trees at a later date. When I dig them out, I'll submit shots with trains rolling by. No loss on this rejection, just using it to illustrate a point.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #16
RobJor

I guess part of my point is that the rejection is a little of a catch-all, so maybe not completely clear the reason for the rejection.

Bob
Old 09-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/587410/

Bob
Sweet! Boat launches are now a part of RP and I've got a few in my area that I can photograph.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote