Old 08-30-2007, 03:45 AM   #1
wab1189

Default Any Chance?

Does anyone think this would have a chance? There really isn't a good way to get good light on the front of the locomotive here. I took this shot in the morning and if it would have been in the afternoon the sun would have been in my face here. I was really trying to get the old tractor in this shot and I thought this was the best angle. I went with sepia because I didn't think the B&W or the color versions looked all that good. Does RP accept sepia photo's? Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.
wab1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
Ween

I don't think this one has a chance, but I've been wrong before!

I do applaud your effort in trying to work with the lighting and get the most out of the scene; the tractor is an awesome prop. For me though, the tractor is too close to the visual line with the rails. If the tractor were somehow more in the foreground with more space between itself and the rails, it would give the image much better depth.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
wab1189

Thanks Ween! By the way I didn't know you could do what you have done with the google map. That is pretty cool I have never saw that before.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab1189
Thanks Ween! By the way I didn't know you could do what you have done with the google map. That is pretty cool I have never saw that before.
Yeah, I learned about it on the Forums here and applied it to fit my needs. It's a neat product for sure!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
I went with sepia because I didn't think the B&W or the color versions looked all that good.
Feel like sharing?
Quote:
Does RP accept sepia photo's? Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.
I've recently gotten used to taking a photo while seeing it in a different tint, B&W, sepia, 'antique', etc. It's just something that I have gotten used to and what my eye sees. While looking through my photos in the past few months one may wonder, did he make it like that just so it could get on? or was he playing around with something and happened to like it? Most of the time I actually took the photo seeing it in that tone. Now to the important part of my post:
When using tones other than color like B&W or sepia it is important to have a reason. Most of the time an object (even the smallest) was originally the color the photo is tinted as or when it comes to B&W, I just wanted the contrast to really show. Yes, I am guilty of it that once and a while it will be my last resort, but ultimately there is a reason behind changing the hue of the image. Example time!...
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 196658
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Photo was taken during high sun but if one were to look at a color photo of the 475 you will notice the letters still match those in mine.
PhotoID: 171461

B&W does not work too well with the CP striping on the switcher so I decided to make the photo the same rust color as the bridge. If you were to look at this and the original side-by-side you will find only a slight color difference.
PhotoID: 169163

I wanted to spice the gauge up a little.
PhotoID: 175033

Since red objects get the focus in photograps I decided to go with B&W for this so the "Do Not Enter" sign didn't stand out. I noticed too that the clouds appear to move in the B&W version as well.

Was "because it looked good" your only reason for sepia or did you see something and it clicked? Just things to think about while editing.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
Northern Limits

Default crop?

I might be inclined to crop some off the top and right, giving the tractor the bottom l/h corner. See what that does for overall balance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-27-2009 crop.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	2114  

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Northern Limits; 08-31-2007 at 02:12 AM.
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:57 AM   #7
wab1189

In my own personal opinion, I feel as though sepia made the picture look older and it just clicked with me. In the color picture, you couldn't see the trucks. In the black and white, the trucks were darker. In the sepia, it made the trucks lighten up and look better and it just makes the picture look like the old days with a tractor and the color of the photo. I think the darkness under the locomotive was a big distraction for me and making it sepia fixed that.

I have attached the color version and the black and white version too.

Could you give your thoughts on which version looks better to you?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 AM   #8
JRMDC

Warning, my tastes are idiosyncratic...

BW!

The color I don't care for because it places too much emphasis on the simple red/blue/green colors, which I find uninteresting. Too simple, no subtlety in the colors, sort of grade school art work. The BW de-emphasizes this in favor of the shapes and contrasts in the picture.

Also, in color the grass is just that, an expanse of green. Blah. In BW the grass has more emphasis on its texture, which I like, and the bright green color is gone so there is less visual emphasis on that area of the picture.

The sepia or monocolor or whatever, I just have a personal preference against it. Yours, Andrew's, anyone's. Pure preference of mine, no words can explain it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:58 AM   #9
wab1189

Well I gave it a try and was rejected for - Poor Lighting (High Sun): The angle of the sunlight is too high, a common problem in the summer months of year on mid-day shots. I'm sure it is more poor lighting than high sunny.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=257252563

LOL I looked at the B&W to much and went with it.

Thank you everyone for the help!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:13 AM   #10
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure it is more poor lighting than high sunny.
High sun is poor lighting...

The photo definitely does suffer from high sun. Look at the trucks, almost no light is on the trucks. The most obvious clue is the shadow from the dynamic brakes. That shadow is huge considering the size of the dynamic brakes.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:25 AM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
High sun is poor lighting...

The photo definitely does suffer from high sun. Look at the trucks, almost no light is on the trucks. The most obvious clue is the shadow from the dynamic brakes. That shadow is huge considering the size of the dynamic brakes.
Mike, it's an academic debate now, but this is most certainly not high sun, but as I said once before, since it looks like high sun, what does it matter?

Just look at the length of the shadow on the tractor. What is happening, I think, is that the sun is directly in line with the position of the engine, so it is pointed down directly on the end of the engine. You get a huge dynamic brake shadow, and no light on the trucks, but look at the 45 degree angle on that shadow. It wasn't taken at mid-day, looks to me. Just bad luck that this particular stretch of track matched the sun's position on this particular day at this time of day.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-03-2007, 05:28 AM   #12
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Mike, it's an academic debate now, but this is most certainly not high sun, but as I said once before, since it looks like high sun, what does it matter?

Just look at the length of the shadow on the tractor. What is happening, I think, is that the sun is directly in line with the position of the engine, so it is pointed down directly on the end of the engine. You get a huge dynamic brake shadow, and no light on the trucks, but look at the 45 degree angle on that shadow. It wasn't taken at mid-day, looks to me. Just bad luck that this particular stretch of track matched the sun's position on this particular day at this time of day.
I think you're right. Good call.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:46 AM   #13
Crusader

Recently tried a sepiatoned submission of a doubleheaded steam excursion, which was rejected for "bad color"...um, ok. So I submitted the full-color version (which was far less evocative) and it got the boot for "high sun".

Sadly, the excursion ran in mid-day (tho I chose the last run of the day to photo), and with smokeboxes facing north. Yes, I appealed. No go.

Can't help but think all the interesting lashes we're missing by being limited to early morning and late afternoon shots between May & Sept.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
Can't help but think all the interesting lashes we're missing by being limited to early morning and late afternoon shots between May & Sept.
True enough, but a website can't be all things to all people, and this one isn't about capturing every possible lashup.

The screening process would be even more subjective if we asked them to evaluate what trains are interesting enough to warrant poorer image quality/composition/light! Of course, some of that goes on now, especially with older images; I just uploaded one from 1977 that I presume would not be accepted were it taken today.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 200031
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

I have another shot of the other side of the turntable that I'm not even bothering to upload, despite the historical content (WM F7B). Just a bad shot.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #15
Crusader

I do agree that vintage shots get a bit more grace from the screeners. I have a couple of CNJ shots on the database that I took with a point-n-shoot in the 1970s when I was a teenager. I scanned prints that were re-developed from the original negs, but even so, I don't know if they'd pass muster if they were contemporary shots.
Image © Charlie O
PhotoID: 19421
Photograph © Charlie O

Last edited by Crusader; 09-05-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #16
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan
Default Oh my God, what happened to the color?

A few minutes with Photoshop will fix fading, scratches, etc.

John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
I don't know if they'd pass muster if they were contemporary shots.
Also keep in mind that standards were much lower back in the days of the first 20,000 shots! It's up over 10x, 200,000 now. I presume they would have at least rejected until you did something like what John did.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-06-2007, 12:30 AM   #18
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Also keep in mind that standards were much lower back in the days of the first 20,000 shots! It's up over 10x, 200,000 now. I presume they would have at least rejected until you did something like what John did.
Yeh, you're probably right.