Old 09-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Kilroy1313

Default Some rejections ... and one acceptation

I write this article with the intention to motivate some of the newer RP-photographers, to see that working with RP is not all day sunshine, but if you want to succeed you must go further, not wasting your time with angryness.

Thursday August 30: I made some pictures in the evening with the result of 10 rejections ! That was tough ! It frustrates ! Question comes up: What am I doing here, wasting my time, or what ? - If you continue this thinking, or even go to the forums and tell everyone that you are upset now, this will not change a lot to your pictures.
First I asked myself if my photos were really THAT PERFECT ?! With the answer: No, they are not !
The next step consists in taking your (remaining) courage again and rework them as good as you can. - Sure this is not the most pleasent part of the work.

Here are the pic's and the reworking on them:
Rejection # 1 after a second upload came rejection # 10 and only after the third upload it was accepted:
Image © Kilroy1313
PhotoID: 199502
Photograph © Kilroy1313

Rejection # 2 which turned into this Rejection again # 2
Rejection # 3 which came out as *New rejection # 9
Eventually you could give me your opinion here: I like this picture, it is technically correct, I got a special train (deviated) thus the train is often to see on my pictures (a reason eventually to get it accepted); I wanted most to show you the tunnel behind, but I did not pay attention to the RP-preferred view angle and get the trains side: I don't see what to do more on this pic.

Rejection # 4 was a try as I don't know yet how to get that perfect silhouette of a train ... I'll work on it... - Rejection # 5 on my «to do list» - #6 a further rejection - too difficult to continue - # 7 a trial for a random subject - ... *with this result I will give up on this one.
*I joined this elder shot #8 I don't understand maybe I should work again on it...?

* Yesterday I got another bad cropping reject which I don't understand.

I liked *this loco in the weeds too, but there were the weeds ...

You may tell me if you like some of the pic's and give me your opinions (especially on pic's marked with *).
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

The acceptated shot looks good! Glad to see it get in.

Seriously, the rejected shots seem legit. I'm having to work through some overcast weather here too. Which sucks, because I hve a a chance to follow the entire L&C line here in South Carolina today and have an entire free day tomorrow while the wife and kids visit her mother.

Joe

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 09-01-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
JRMDC

rejection 2: given thew accepted shot is in, it doesn't add much. But I think the problem is that the same large/wide scene that works for a train just doesn't work for a solo engine. The shot feels empty.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
JRMDC

rejection 3/9: it will work fine as a vertical. Nothing on the sides worth keeping.

rejection 4: going away shot where the end (just a car, not a helper engine) is not lit - no chance at RP, I think

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
JRMDC

5: crop a good bit, both in front of and below the train, and you are fine. The train is too small relative to the scene, given the ordinary surroundings.

6: needs more contrast, as the darks are not very dark. I have no idea what is meant by bad color.

7: you have a vertical subject, the signals, I suggest a vertical composition.
7b: or, they just don't want it without a train! Go back when there is one.

8: frankly, you should understand it, as the reason given is explicit and correct. Shoot the scene another time when it isn't overcast and there is good light on the subject.

bad cropping: something, a luggage cart?, is intruding on the right side

weeds: weeds

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 09-01-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
Kilroy1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
The acceptated shot looks good! Glad to see it get in.

Seriously, the rejected shots seem legit. (...)

Joe
Yes, I was doing for a while getting that freight train framed and also this day the clouds went away only minutes before...

... No, I don't have a problem with these rejections, only the fact that on that day there was anything which met the level was a bit disappointing.

With all my accepted shots I'm far from being unhappy, and it seems that I'm getting on the right track.
Train-Videos

Old 09-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #7
Kilroy1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
rejection 3/9: it will work fine as a vertical. Nothing on the sides worth keeping.

(...)
Good idea, to turn the format, I think I'll try that.
Train-Videos

Old 09-02-2007, 02:28 AM   #8
WembYard

Just to add.....

With the picture of 4020 at Luxembourg, I see what you are trying to do by including the building - however it does un-balance the picture a bit. Trouble is, if you crop the top off, the photo becomes less interesting. You could try it again with some cropped off the top and the left hand side.

#7 with the signals, it needs a train! There is not enough interest (for me at least) in scene for it to work without one.

The pic of 3001 in the shed suffers from the light streaming through the windows above and to the rear of the loco affecting the contrast - not a lot you can do about that. It is also a rather extreme angle, is it possible to stand further away? Thanks for posting the shot here BTW, I had no idea that the loco still existed, as it has been withdrawn for so long.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #9
Kilroy1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
Just to add.....

With the picture of 4020 at Luxembourg, I see what you are trying to do by including the building - however it does un-balance the picture a bit. Trouble is, if you crop the top off, the photo becomes less interesting. You could try it again with some cropped off the top and the left hand side.
(...)
I tried my best:

New cropping
Train-Videos

Old 09-03-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy1313
I tried my best:

New cropping
The rest of us cannot view your queued shots, only those accepted or rejected. Good luck with it!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #11
Kilroy1313

Quote:
The rest of us cannot view your queued shots, only those accepted or rejected. Good luck with it!
I'll fix that immediatly because this ship finally sunk:

That was it !

Honestly I don't see anything more to cut off and I won't mutilate this picture: I shot it with the building and there it will stay with the building... My last word (on this one). As the building is still there I may return and try this shot again .
Train-Videos

Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
JRMDC

Well, aside from clipping the top of the building in the newer version, there may also be a more general problem. I observe that a 4:5 ratio horizontal often has trouble getting acceptance here, whereas a 4:5 ratio vertical does get accepted. I wonder whether you were just too close to square for RP.

Anyway, just go reshoot it, no baggage cart next time; if you can step back and go wider so you have some room to work with when you crop.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #13
Kilroy1313

Smile ...the unseen picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
The acceptated shot looks good! Glad to see it get in. (...)
Joe
...and you didn't see The other side of that train... the iron load: very heavy stuff. - Would a picture like this - with the right light on it - have a chance at RP ?
Train-Videos

Last edited by Kilroy1313; 02-23-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #14
Kilroy1313

Default ... the second acceptation !

Quote:
rejection 3/9: it will work fine as a vertical. Nothing on the sides worth keeping. (...)
After an other rejection:
Image © Kilroy1313
PhotoID: 199791
Photograph © Kilroy1313

Thanks again; honestly I didn't even think to put it in the vertical format (I instinctly don't like this format - so mostly I don't consider it as a possible choice). Now I even like the resulting photo !
Train-Videos

Old 09-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #15
a231pacific

This has been an interesting series, watching you work through the changes. I agree with Janusz's comments, but I'd like to add some general comments. You said you did not like the vertical format, but sometimes there is too much uninteresting space when you shoot horizontally, especially when the train is coming at you. The tunnel shot is much better as a vertical and your signal photo would have been better as a vertical also.

Some of your initial versions are too wide and contain distracting elements near the edges. Some of your initial efforts at cropping then suffer from having the train in the center of the photo, instead of following the "rule of thirds."

Your Luxembourg station photo was interesting. I think the initial bad cropping comment was because of the luggage cart sticking into the right side of the photo. When you tried again, you cropped too much off the building. Do as Janusz suggests, and go to a more rectangular crop, but still crop the luggage cart out.

I like your going away shot of the steel train, as it emphasizes the loads. The lighting is interesting also. It may not be what RP wants, but try it anyway. I saw a steel train like this being taken up the steep grade at Furtha, behind a 44th class steam loco, back in 1993 and it was a fantastic sound!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #16
Switched out

Here's a couple of suggestions for cropping that may help with the station and steel train shots.

For the station shot if you want to emphasize the building in the background you are going to have to lose all the stuff to the right of it and go for a vertical crop. On a side note, does the loco have a special paint scheme or is that just graffiti on it's side?

As for the going away shot of the steel train I think its got possibilities but it might not be for RP though. Its certainly worth giving it another go. I just think the light is just not right in this particular shot.

Christine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03700D.jpg.84248PSrw.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	2124   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04537b-PSrw.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	2125  
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote