Default Horizon

CW or CCW?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=702992&key=0

Thanks! -Doug
Doug Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
wongm

Option C: anticlockwise.

Level up the power lines behind, as well as the chimney, the train looks to be a curve so the angled can be explained away as superelevation.

Maybe a bit less dirt in the bottom and more sky, and bring in the left side to just before the chimney?
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
KevinM

I don't have PSE on this computer, but I'd say a slight CCW should do the trick. Without a grid, I can't tell if the locomotive verticals are perfectly vertical, but they are darn close. Also, the high line towers directly behind the train look close to vertical as well. I'm pretty positive that its the stack, buildings and pole on the left side that caught the Screener's eye. Those could be leaning right due to barrel distortion from a wide angle lens....and if you cropped on the left side of the frame, that might explain why we don't see a similar phenomenon....at least not to this degree....on the right side.

Does your editing program have a grid? Put that grid on the shot and look at the vertical surfaces. If they are all leaning slightly right, then a little dose of CCW rotation should fix it. If the problem is barrel distortion, hopefully your program has a tool for that as well. PS and PSE certainly do. To fix it, you would go back to the original image, make the adjustment, then recrop and edit as you did before.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Doug Wolfe

Guys: Thanks for your very detailed responses. This was above & beyond what I expected. The shot made it in. Thanks again for your valuable time!

Image © Doug Wolfe
PhotoID: 289131
Photograph © Doug Wolfe
Doug Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote