Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 01-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #526
RobJor

Setting up on a cold night can be difficult and everyone needs to learn. These stations are hard to shoot because of the limited platforms.

However, Problem I have is some of the equipment in the scene could have been cropped or cloned out. Some of the exposure problems could have been lessened in PS or corrected with a test shot. Besides that, in one image, he walked all over the fresh snow in the foreground which is like winter photography 101 and in one he is standing pretty close to the tracks. He is lighting the train but there is no angle plus you don't want to stand that close?? It makes the crews nervous and even the slightest misstep can be very bad. I have been on one of those platforms and these freights really barrel through at night with a real wind blast.

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #527
bigbassloyd

Night photography (of all types) is a true art form. A few do it well, some are average, and most leave a lot to be desired.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #528
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Setting up on a cold night can be difficult and everyone needs to learn. These stations are hard to shoot because of the limited platforms.

However, Problem I have is some of the equipment in the scene could have been cropped or cloned out. Some of the exposure problems could have been lessened in PS or corrected with a test shot. Besides that, in one image, he walked all over the fresh snow in the foreground which is like winter photography 101 and in one he is standing pretty close to the tracks. He is lighting the train but there is no angle plus you don't want to stand that close?? It makes the crews nervous and even the slightest misstep can be very bad. I have been on one of those platforms and these freights really barrel through at night with a real wind blast.

Bob
Especially with the weather. That snow could have made the platform rather slick too. He may have had a better shot on the other side of the tracks and used the station as a backdrop (as opposed to having it in the foreground) It looks like there is another platform on the other side.

There definitely is a learning curve with flashes, but it's not overly difficult to light up a train, or the result that the person was aiming for. I think these night shots really should be held to the same standards as daylight shots.

Judging that he's an Elite member, I'm thinking he submitted a few more than just these...and that these were the best of the few he submitted.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:01 PM   #529
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Night photography (of all types) is a true art form. A few do it well, some are average, and most leave a lot to be desired.

Loyd L.

That is certainly true...but only when it's done well!
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #530
loomus78

Quote:

Loyd L.
I'll add that something new is learned just about at every outing too. I'll leave mine in the "lot to be desired" pool.
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #531
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomus78 View Post
I'll add that something new is learned just about at every outing too. I'll leave mine in the "lot to be desired" pool.
If we stop learning then we have stopped breathing.... and I believe you have graduated from the "Lot to be desired" pool along time ago. I'm constantly adding your night shots to my favorites as tools to study by....
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM   #532
amtrak07t

Quote:
Jon, your night shots are ridiculously amazing.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #533
amtrak07t

On the other hand...we have whatever this is.

Image © Alex Decker
PhotoID: 644968
Photograph © Alex Decker

Blue snow and woefully over processed

You can see the shutter curtain at the bottom because he chose too high of a shutter speed.
Old Today, 12:46 AM   #534
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post

Image © Alex Decker
Photograph © Alex Decker

Blue snow and woefully over processed

You can see the shutter curtain at the bottom because he chose too high of a shutter speed.
To give him credit, I looked at others of his and some are pretty nice.

Looking at that one tho, The puzzle for me is the edit line you can see along the train and even more pronounced in front of the train. You can see the tree line is darker in front of the train than above and should be lighter, like a cut and paste layer?

Anyway, practice doesn't always help? This was a year before.
Image © Alex Decker
PhotoID: 602105
Photograph © Alex Decker

Myself, shooting at night existing light one thing I always remember reading is your failure rate is going to be pretty high and of course even higher if you count what will not be accepted here.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:11 AM   #535
miningcamper1

Quote:

Image © Alex Decker
Photograph © Alex Decker
Other than blown highlights, excessive contrast and unlevel, what's wrong?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:56 AM   #536
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Other than blown highlights, excessive contrast and unlevel, what's wrong?
White balance too
Old Today, 05:01 AM   #537
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
To give him credit, I looked at others of his and some are pretty nice.

Looking at that one tho, The puzzle for me is the edit line you can see along the train and even more pronounced in front of the train. You can see the tree line is darker in front of the train than above and should be lighter, like a cut and paste layer?

Anyway, practice doesn't always help? This was a year before.
Image © Alex Decker
PhotoID: 602105
Photograph © Alex Decker

Myself, shooting at night existing light one thing I always remember reading is your failure rate is going to be pretty high and of course even higher if you count what will not be accepted here.

Bob Jordan
He has a lot of nice shots (some are a tad over processed for my liking) but part of one-shot photography (especially at night) is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've done a lot of night shots where I failed, and you won't see them on Railpictures (and I don't want to have my name attached with them).

With some of his flash shots being good, I'm kinda wondering what he was thinking when he shot that one.
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #538
bigbassloyd

Quote:
I've done a lot of night shots where I failed, and you won't see them on Railpictures (and I don't want to have my name attached with them).
Story of my life too. Ever have to setup really fast and do a exposure at night where you forgot to remove the lens cap? Yeah.. 30 seconds with a cap on is still really dark..

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
Old Today, 01:28 PM   #539
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Lower your personal standards because I feel you have a quite capable grasp on the night photography concept.

Loyd L.

Old Today, 05:46 PM   #540
amtrak07t

Quote:
Story of my life too. Ever have to setup really fast and do a exposure at night where you forgot to remove the lens cap? Yeah.. 30 seconds with a cap on is still really dark..

Loyd L.
I can't say I've done that (I don't want to bump the focus to put the cap back on haha) But, I've kicked the tripod leg probably a dozen times...each time, I think "I hope it isn't noticeable" and then...I see streaks from signals or any other light source...swear a few times....say that I won't do it again...and then do it again.
Old Today, 06:43 PM   #541
bigbassloyd

Quote:
I can't say I've done that (I don't want to bump the focus to put the cap back on haha) But, I've kicked the tripod leg probably a dozen times...each time, I think "I hope it isn't noticeable" and then...I see streaks from signals or any other light source...swear a few times....say that I won't do it again...and then do it again.
I jumped out, setup the tripod and camera and started the exposure (was using a tokina 11-16 with true set to infinity focus) so I didn't even touch the lens, assuming it was ready to go.. Kicked tripods are a rarity for me though (although being 6'6" with size 16 feet it should be a problem), but I have a bad habit of killing batteries at night in cold weather midway through a shot.

Loyd L.

Old Today, 08:49 PM   #542
amtrak07t

Quote:
I jumped out, setup the tripod and camera and started the exposure (was using a tokina 11-16 with true set to infinity focus) so I didn't even touch the lens, assuming it was ready to go.. Kicked tripods are a rarity for me though (although being 6'6" with size 16 feet it should be a problem), but I have a bad habit of killing batteries at night in cold weather midway through a shot.

Loyd L.
No test shots I suppose? I'm thinking you were short on time.

I get in the habit of taking about 15 shots before the train comes (just out of habit I guess...maybe I think the focus is going to move ) Usually I try to back out of the way when the train comes but I generally forget where the legs are. It shouldn't be a problem when I'm only 5' 3" haha
Old Today, 09:09 PM   #543
bigbassloyd

Quote:
No test shots I suppose? I'm thinking you were short on time.
Quite

Loyd L.