Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #26
PLEzero

For those of you who might be interested. iTunes currently has the first episode of Extreme Trains entitled "Coal Train" available for free. The other two shows which have aired so far are available for $1.99. The file is approximately 525 MB as I chose to download it simply for it's relevance to the area I live in.

"LET'S RUN SOME TRAINS!"... Oh my, I guess it's not for everyone.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #27
jdirelan87

I think most people are overlooking the fact that this show isn't for hardcore railfans, but instead the general public. Alot of people are complaining that the show wasn't in-depth enough. Well, considering the average viewer probably thinks railroad technology stop at the diesel, I thought the show did a great job educating the masses about the advancements in railroad technology. And lets face it, if half the show talked about the advantages of the AC power over DC, CTC versus ABS or the reason a railroad went with high number boards instead of low... nobody would watch!

If you watch alot of these goofy history channel specials about anything you'll quickly realize that the over dramatization is a common theme. Case in point; I spent time on a U.S. warship this summer. It consisted mostly of sitting around twitting our thumbs for hours, with something cool happening every few days. But, have a History Channel crew come on a board and make a 30 minute special with swooping extreme angles and an over hyped host and you would think life at sea was a nonstop roller-coaster ride.

In this case its particular goofy because lets face it... trains aren't that 'exciting' or 'extreme.' Nobody looks at trains for an adrenal rush, but the network approached it with the standard cookie cutter approach it takes to any show.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #28
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
I think most people are overlooking the fact that this show isn't for hardcore railfans, but instead the general public. Alot of people are complaining that the show wasn't in-depth enough. Well, considering the average viewer probably thinks railroad technology stop at the diesel, I thought the show did a great job educating the masses about the advancements in railroad technology. And lets face it, if half the show talked about the advantages of the AC power over DC, CTC versus ABS or the reason a railroad went with high number boards instead of low... nobody would watch!

If you watch alot of these goofy history channel specials about anything you'll quickly realize that the over dramatization is a common theme. Case in point; I spent time on a U.S. warship this summer. It consisted mostly of sitting around twitting our thumbs for hours, with something cool happening every few days. But, have a History Channel crew come on a board and make a 30 minute special with swooping extreme angles and an over hyped host and you would think life at sea was a nonstop roller-coaster ride.

In this case its particular goofy because lets face it... trains aren't that 'exciting' or 'extreme.'
Very well said! It is a fun show to watch just because it is produced for the general public and also gives some of us an inside look that we normally don't see even being out every so often.
Quote:
Nobody looks at trains for an adrenal rush, but the network approached it with the standard cookie cutter approach it takes to any show.
Ummmm....

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #29
TheRoadForeman
Banned

The speeding up of the trains from the arial view and the fast zoom in and zoom out action about made me sick! Plus, if this guy was on my train I probably would have told him to sit down and stop talking!! If they wanted the train to be shown with down on their knees 1200 amps in short time action, they should have video taped another leg of that trains journey on the Nittany & Bald Eagle between CP-GRAY and DIX. The NS stalls several trains per month on our R.R. enroute to Strawberry Ridge. Just my thought!!

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #30
Joe the Photog

You know, I love trains, railroads and railfanning. I'm a photographer and have worked in TV news and do stills on the side. And I can say that the show is almost unwatchable for me. In fact, I think it needs a make over. Here's why --

1.) The host needs two or three chill pills. Not every stand up he shoots has to have him walking like an idiot somewhere. Slow down, hell, stop every now and then, and let us take in the scene.

2.) Last nights show bogged down when he went into this long thing on clearing snow off a spot of land where the railroad USED to go through. Yeah, he made his point about how tough it was back then about ten different times in five different ways. Didn't need to see him pretending to dig six foot of snow.

3.) Slow down on the sped up video. Using this technique once or twice is nice for an hour long show, but the editors over use it.

4.) Every once in a while, we'd like to see a train move past a camera which has been placed on a tripod level. We'd like to see most if not all of the train as time permits, at it's own speed. These wacky unlevel, hey-maybe-I-could-produce-music-videos shots are fine when used a few times through the show. But not every single time!

There is more but ths is all I can think of at the moment.

Joe H.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:06 AM   #31
Ween

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=8784

Old 12-18-2008, 02:17 AM   #32
ccaranna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I know. I think he feels strongly about his opinion: (link may work for non-subscribers)

http://www.trainorders.com/discussio....php?2,1827250
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #33
Joe the Photog

Just can't win. Start a new thread about it and someone points out a thread that's been sitting here for six weeks. Post in this thread and someone points out the other thread.

Of course, the interesting part is that the TO thread took off, with some folks telling me tochange the channel. That's always my favorite reply.

Joe
Old 12-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #34
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Just can't win. Start a new thread about it and someone points out a thread that's been sitting here for six weeks. Post in this thread and someone points out the other thread.
Hence the laughing smiley face...it was a joke.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #35
Billy upkid

Default Extreme Trains

I thought the History Channel did a great job and come on, the host Matt was not that bad.. The way I look at the show, it may get kids or adults interested in trains.. When I was a kid, you never seen anything on TV about trains... Now days, all kids do is play video games or out doing drugs... So, I hope they do more of Extreme Trains, and they can keep Matt as the host..... If this on little step to get people interested in trains, then I am all for it...
Billy upkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #36
M.L.Gabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy upkid
keep Matt as the host..... I am all for it...

I swear Matt Bown is related to Ty Pennington.
M.L.Gabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #37
Damaged

Now that the series is over.......
Everybody that thought it sucked can go back to watching American Idol.

I haven't watched the circus train episode yet. Most of the other episodes were pretty good I thought. Kinda choppy edits. But a lot of cool stuff from Steamtown.